Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Mountain Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Which Mountain Bike? The answer is quite subjective.
    Your budget gives you some good options.

It all depends on what you will be using the bike for.
    If you won't be going off road then you don't need a full suspension mountain bike, a hybrid bike (upright seating position like a mtn bike, narrow tyres, maybe front suspension) would be good.

With regards where to buy a bike, going to a good bike shop will probably be better than going to Argos. While Argos is convenient, a bike shop can advise on features appropriate for you and your plans and also provide after sales service. All new bikes should be serviced a month or so after purchase, to adjust brakes, cables and other parts after they've 'settled' or done some initial stretching. This first service is normally free.

The bike shop should also be a good source of other equipment e.g. helmet, gloves, lights, locks etc. There are good online shops, in Dublin and Northern Ireland, for these too.

Where are you based? Someone might be able to recommend a bike shop convenient to you.
    I'm in Dublin 15 but for service I use Little Sport in Fairview (near where I work) and for parts I use Cycle Superstore in Tallaght (nice discounts with their free loyalty card).

You can read some advice elsewhere on this forum: Entry Level MTB, Haven't cycled in ten years - new bike advice or Cycling for fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Hi daymobrew

Thanks for the great and informative reply. I have been doing some research on the web and your post confirms what I have read elsewhere.

A) I do not need back suspension as I most likely will not be not using this offroad.

B) Not to buy in Argos.

I am now looking at these two Trek bikes:

Trek 4500
    4500.jpg

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/mountain/4500.jsp#largerview

Trek 6500
    Trek6500disc_tombola.jpg

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/mountain/6500.jsp

The prices of these bikes are arround $450 for the 4500 and $750 for the 6500 in the USA. I could stretch my budget for the 6500 because I like the extra features it offers but I am inclined to believe that here in rip-off Ireland I could double them prices and change the dollar sign to a euro sign and that would be more like the cost here which would be well over my budget. Would I be correct in thinking this?

Could you reccommend me some bike shops in both Dublin and the North as both places are accessible to me.

Thanks again fo the advice
    John.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

What are you using it for then? If its just for flying round town, you're much better off with a hybrid, with its slick tyres. It'll save you expending excess effort :)

If you're up in Belfast a bit, I've found Mc Convey Cycles on the Ormeau Road (just North of the Lagan Bridge, on the left hand side if you're going into town) to be very good. In Dublin, I always used Cyclelogical, just on the North Quays, they're a bit expensive but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If its just for flying round town, you're much better off with a hybrid, with its slick tyres. It'll save you expending excess effort :)
    Totally agree. I changed my big mtn bike tyres to slicks and can travel a good bit faster. It's quieter too.

Cycle SuperStore (Tallaght) (Trek supplier) and CycleWays (Parnell St) (Specialized dealer) have online stores for you to get prices.

CycleSuperStore has the Trek 4300 for e470 (I didn't see the 4500) and the Trek 6500 for e845.
    A hybrid Trek, the 7300, is e570. It has front suspension but slick tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

The 4500 is probably fine for your needs. The 6500 is a proper mountain bike and is overkill for your daily comute or whatever you plan on using it for. It is also far more likely to get stolen.

• Advertisement

My main uses for the bike will be

A) My main form of transport, daily commute etc.
    B) Increase Fittness.

I never liked racers or hybrid's but that Trek 7300 is quite nice and seems to be more suited to my needs than the 4500, 6500. I have also read good reviews about it elsewhere. So it looks like ill go for the 7300 now unless anyone has something to add.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Looks like a good bike alright and if you're not going offroad then no point in getting a mountainbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I wouldnt be convinced that front suspension is necessary for a commuting bike. It'll just absorb the energy you put into peddling and add to the weight of your machine, and if you've got a suspension saddlepost you wont notice the kind of bump you'd be likely to encounter on the roads.

Temple Bar cobbles not withstanding!

Just placed an order there on cyclesuperstore.ie. I ended up going for a Trek 7500. Its such a beautiful and quality bike and the suspension has got a lock-out feature also.

7500e_blacksilver.jpg

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=8646

I also bought some accessories like a good lock, light and a computer for the geek in me.

Thanks to everyone who posted advice.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

First thing to do when you get the bike is take it into a field or down a muddy track and get the thing filthy. Clean out the gears and sprokets when you get home, but leave the frame and fork caked.
    I am only saying this because that is a good looking bike, and I don't see it lasting long locked to a lamp post or even busy bike rack, no matter how good a lock you bought.

• Advertisement

First thing to do when you get the bike is take it into a field or down a muddy track and get the thing filthy. Clean out the gears and sprokets when you get home, but leave the frame and fork caked.
    I am only saying this because that is a good looking bike, and I don't see it lasting long locked to a lamp post or even busy bike rack, no matter how good a lock you bought.

Thats excactly what a mate of mine said (About making it look like sh1te). Whats the story on bike insurance does anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Get it covered under your house insurance, it's often free, or at least inexpensive.

Yeah, put some masking tape or duct tape on the frame before caking it in mud for the extra special dirty look....

Advertisement