Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you recommend dance/electronic tunes I shouldn't be without.

• 14-01-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I never really got into dance and electronic music but over the last while I just seem to be enjoying it more and more. The problem is that I find it really hard to know what to look for because I haven't a clue what the artists are called never mind who makes good music!

I know it all has to do with individual taste but can anyone recommend tunes that they think are so good that you I shouldn't be without them? Anything goes but a few words on why you like it would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Marmion - Schöneberg (the marmion remix)
    A beautiful piece of music... the word "epic" springs to mind when searching for words that best describe it:)
    might be a little too hard and trancey for some though
    The TDV mix is also rather good if you're after an NRG fix

i'll add a couple more later

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It would be worth joining - www.nioldskool.co.uk There are single track downloads and full mixes available too. Various genres and styles all of the oldskool variety. Bound to find music there that you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

tman wrote:
    Marmion - Schöneberg (the marmion remix)
    A beautiful piece of music... the word "epic" springs to mind when searching for words that best describe it:)
    might be a little too hard and trancey for some though
    The TDV mix is also rather good if you're after an NRG fix

i'll add a couple more later

Big time classic tunage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

Rue East - Birmingham (Surgeon and Hardgroove remixes)
    Ellen Allien - Trust and...
    could name about 20 but thats a start. And when u say you are getting to like Dance music, are you referring to the commerical kind? Feck the cheesey **** i say

check out luke slaters fear and loathing mixes, ****in animal:v:
    richie hawton and sven vath brought out a great album last year aswell, forget what it was called, but its essential to say the least:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Alien Factory - Rebel, the oriental type synths are beautiful. Serious track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭comad

I don't think recommending Sven Vath or Richie hawtin to a guy who "never really got into dance music". Listen to Pete Tongs Essential Selection on BBC1

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Some nice old house mixes from below might be a good intro -

http://www.fishgodeep.com/mixes.html

Have only listened to the metroland mix in full so far and its an excellent mix from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Anything by the Vengaboys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

God Is An Astronaut

February 10th TBMC

best €15 you'll ever spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Here are my recommendations for you taking into account that you're only "getting" into dance/electronic music at present...

Leftfield and in particular Leftism.

Underworld - DNBWMHM

Orbital

Future Sound Of London

Basement Jaxx

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Chemical Brothers

Daft Punk

Deep Dish - Yoshiesque 1 & 2

DJ Shadow

Goldie - Timeless

Groove Armada

Lamb

Lemon Jelly

Massive Attack

Mylo

Plump DJs

Royksopp

St Germain

Thievery Corporation

Phew that should get you started anyway. There's so so so much more than that but again bear in mind these are specifically tailored to the fact that you're just getting started with all this sort of stuff. I've recommended a varied and classic collection of artists and albums there with enough different styles to ensure you find out what you "really really" like. There's nothing to hard in there either and alot of what I've mention is what got me into electronic music going back a good few years ago now!

A good tip for checking out album reviews it to go to www.amazon.co.uk and just do a search, you'll deffo find reviews of all that I've mentioned above there and all the opinions are from regular people. If you find you like a particular album or artist you can see what other stuff people bought who also bought the album you liked. Not sure if that makes sense actually but I'm knackered so meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hey man.

Im surprised there hasnt been more replies so far. A lot of people who are serious about their choons can be politely pushy about spreading their influence.

Can you please give us some examples of the type of stuff that appeals to you.

Within dance/electronic there are so many styles and Id say most people have their preferred genres. There are thousands of great tunes out there and it is kind of subjective as to what makes something a classic.
    Then there is the issue of wether the music is american or european, old or new, and for some people these factors hold importance.

Personally, Im into accessable house and chillout more, especially the more melodic sides of those, and anything with an origional or retro flavour. I'm less into things like techno and trance. Thats just my buzz though.

If youre confused about the different genres and sub genres, wikidpedia has some relatively usefull background info on all.
    There are always choons which dont fit within these (perhaps cliched) genres, but I think they would be in the minority.

If youre interested in staying current, a lot of people are into "breaks" style dance at the moment. Glitch, and Grime are also kinda hip right now:P
    __

Anyways:) , Id like to have a stab at it. Here are some tunes which I hope will float your boat. Ill classify them loosely in the hope that it may help somewhat. I suspect my reccomendations might be dissed by some dance heads who are into different stuff, but here goes anyway!!

Current House:
    Shiney Grey - Why [bob sinclar mix]
    Mylo - Muscle Cars
    Sander Klienenberg - The Fruit

Reccommended or Classic House:
    Cassius - Feelings For You [the LRD remix is fab]
    Shakedown - At Night
    Space Cowboy - I Would Die For You

Lounge / Chill:
    Kinobe - Slip Into Something More Comfortable
    Mono- Life In Mono
    Lamb - Goreki
    Sabres Of Paradise- Smokebelch
    Bent - Swollen
    DJ Food- Turtle Soup
    Art Of Noise - Moments In Love
    I Monster- Daydream
    Nightmares On Wax - Les Nuits
    DJ Shadow - Blood On The Motorway
    Badmarsh And Shri - Day By Day
    Air - All I Need
    Dimitri - Very Stylish
    Telepop Music - Breathe
    Big Muff - My Funny Valentine

Other:
    The Knife- Heartbeats
    Zoot Woman - Gem / Information First
    Phoenix - Too Young [zoot woman remix]
    De La Soul - It aint all good
    Ladytron - Seventeen

Again, all purely subjective. I reckon you would recognise many of the tracks above. Its mostly quite commercial stuff. Hope you find something in there that you like. Do let us know how you get on.

OOh- Giles reminded me of some I omitted. yeah- I think Giles is on the same buzz as me. Lovin your work Giles...

I also forgot to mention The Avalanches, and Go Team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

womoma wrote:
    OOh- Giles reminded me of some I omitted. yeah- I think Giles is on the same buzz as me. Lovin your work Giles...

I also forgot to mention The Avalanches, and Go Team!

Not sure if you're referring to my mixes or my post but cheers anyway dude! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

might aswell get him on the right track to decent dance music rather than that ****e though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

http://www.loopz.co.uk/begin.html

Check these streams out, a couple of hours of orbital, old but always fresh

might aswell get him on the right track to decent dance music rather than that ****e though
    what would you reccommend?

Would steer towards the more accessible stuff, get hold of music by the big sellers like Orbital, Air, Future Sound of London, Basement Jaxx, Aphex Twin, the Orb, the Prodigy - I mean, if I was to try and get into rock I would listen to Pink Floyd and The Who first, and leave Mama's Boyz till last.

Maybe cahnge it around with some of the groundbreakers like Giorgio Moroder and Jean Michael Jarre, a few early house groups like 808 State and Inner City, and a few of the recent compilations with stuff from the last 10 years like Michael Gray's 'Weekend', Shapeshifters 'Lola's Theme', 'Toca's Miracle' by Fragma - the really popular stuff. Try and get some overview, and then you can decide whether you like faster or slower stuff, ambient or techno etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

if your wanting good dance and electro........
    erol alkan
    jacques la cont
    felix da housecat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

This is great, I really appreciate all the recomendations. Especially womoma and Giles. Great posts guys.

I downloaded schonberg by marmion. Cool, cool tune. Not what I'd normally go for but i could really imagine myself at a party at 7am getting right into a track like that. That tune alone has made this post worth it. What "type" of a tune is it?

The stuff I've been listening to is probably the acceptable end of the accesible stuff. Mylo, Leftfield, Shadow, Deep Dish, Daft punk, underworld etc. While I'd love more introductions to that groovey melodic kind of stuff I also want to push my boundaries into different stuff. Not so much the cheesy kind of you might hear at the AM club but more the stuff I hear some DJs playing that is full on and dark too.
    Anything that has real quality really!

• Advertisement
Advertisement