Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy...

Options
  • 14-01-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've just read this "worst area in Dublin" thread.... Seems like nowhere is nice...
    Anyways, I am thinking of buying a house and the only places I can really afford to some extent are D12 and D24 on the southside. Don't really want to move north, as all friends and family are down south. I quite like Walkinstown and Drimnagh, I think some parts of Tallaght are ok, too? Any recommendations on where not to go? I also don't want to be in the sticks somewhere, as I have no car and need to get into city centre every day. Was also considering Blanchardstown as I saw a really nice appartment there (would prefer house though), but from what I read I think I'm better off with Tallaght?
    Any views?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Well don't worry about where not to go!! That's what I hate about the people of this city - always worrying if it is safe to go somewhere just because the housing estate is mainly made up of council housing. Anyway, go with what you like. Good luck in your house/apartment searching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

personally, i would go for somewhere like dundrum, some lovely new apartments out there, and with the luas and all getting centre is easy. Ive stayed down there a few times and its grand at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Not worried about council houses etc, but I don't want to be somewhere where there's a lot of drug-dealing and car theft and vandalism etc going on, or hords of youths harrassing everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I live in Drimnagh. Sorry to say that it has got rough over the last 5 years, but I suppose that goes for the city as a hole, sorry, whole...

The plus side is I do have some great neighbours.

Hi boneless, well, I know that Drimnagh isn't quite Tempelogue or something, but it's not the bronx either... My partner is from Walkinstown so at least we know pretty much what we're getting. Going to look at a place on Galtymore Road (the Kilmainham end). What is it like there?
    Also considering Aylesbury in Tallaght, although it seems a bit far out and not a great bus service either....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I live in Templeogue and there's a decent bus service, I'm not too sure about prices at the moment. My sister always says avoid somewhere with a decent playground and new facilities for kids, because generally they're trying to keep the kids off the streets, as opposed to the last generation. Not like that everywhere, but in some places. If you're worried about an area call into the local Garda station first

Tempelogue is fot the rich my friend.... Not for the middle-class earners. The max I can afford is 380K and if I'm very lucky I'll get an ex-corporation house in Drimnagh or Crumlin or Walkinstown. And if not there, then the next option is Tallaght. That's why I'm asking all these questions, because I don't know it that well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It doesn't really matter which end of a road you live... most of the problems in Drimnagh are caused by transient heads!! A couple of skangers in the area attract these and they tend to congregate in various places.

I live up near the Brickfields; most families on my road are game-ball, but there is one house near-by where there is no parental control so all the trouble tends to be concentrated on it and eminates from it... death (I refuse to call it joy) riding is the most annoying thing along with the burnt out cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

*sigh* It's so depressing reading this stuff, you know that? :(

Dunno what I'm gonna do...probably have to work/live abroad...

Yeah depression is slowly setting in, I can confirm that!!! What is it like on Galtymore road, esp the Kilmainham end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I wouldn't be put off living in Tallaght. It has a bad name but there are plenty of good areas like Kingswood, Belgard, Kilnamanagh, Aylsbury etc. The luas is dead handy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

i wouldnt be put off by tallaght either , kingswood is lovely and the luas is right outside the estate which is handy, walkinstown is nice my nan lives ther good facilities and stuff shops school and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kitycaty

I have lived on Galtymore Road all my life and to be honest I have never had a problem, I suppose it depends who you end up beside. We have nice neighbours,no noise at night and its so handy for getting into town. You might hear the odd joy rider but its like that every where nowadays.

If I could afford my own house in Drimnagh I would jump at the chance!

Advertisement