Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Spurs (match thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kronkamp on for the last few moments.

1-0 result that'll do nicely! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

oh robbie robbie robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Can't believe that was a red card. Looked like Stalteri didn't touch him at all. If he did fair enough, deserves to go but otherwise hmmmm :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

He did catch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SuprSi wrote:
    Can't believe that was a red card. Looked like Stalteri didn't touch him at all. If he did fair enough, deserves to go but otherwise hmmmm :mad:

Agreed on both counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Fair play to Liverpool. Tremendous result for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh well.
    still in 4th, and utd were beaten as well.
    although not too happy about the arsenal score, what can you do.

lets just win the next 10 games!
    besides, arsenal will never play that well again. thank go it was only against boro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh, could have been 2-0, could have finished 1-1 on the basis of the second half I saw.

Kewell should have stayed up and scored but hey.

Another win and onwards we go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Stekelly wrote:
    Kewell is a goober. Why the hell didnt he just stay on his feet, go on and score.Instead he flings himself to the ground, gets a man needlessly sent off and it's still only 1-0. If this ends 1-1 Kewell should be smack with a very wet salmon.

His touch was terrible too.

I hat ethis playing in the corner at the end crap. Whip it in and try score, thats the best way to make sure Spurs won't get anything out of the game..

quit bitchin already... it was a typical school trip!! FFS

great game ! kewel was man of the match.. I knew that little phucker would come good well done 'arry!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Heh 7 goals, how embarrassing for Boro!

Not too despondent with the result TBH, didn't expect a win before the game but thought we might get a draw. Davids appeared to be less than 100%, and I think that was key for Spurs. We weren't good enough in the final third, Mido looked tired and Keane was poor for the 2nd game in a row.

Still not sure on the red card, I'll have to wait for Sky's camera trickery to say yea or nay, but have to say Kewell looked like he thought he was back in Nam.

Better team won on the day, Liverpool had the only chances in the 1st half, and apart from the period from the start of the 2nd half to the goal, were comfortable for most of the 2nd half. Still, they had to work for the win, and the fact that they had Riise in the corner with 6 minutes to go trying to run the clock down speaks volumes for how Spurs have improved in the last 12 months.

Finally, have RTE replaced the ManYoo cheerleading squad with the Liverpool cheerleading squad? Winds of change anyone?

Oh, one more thing...Jermaine Jenas has the ball control of Carlton Palmer.

Agreed. I would've been very happy with a draw and that's realistically the most I expected, so in effect we've only lost one point. Better performance on the day by Liverpool, but I was happy with Spurs play too.

SuprSi wrote:
    Agreed. I would've been very happy with a draw and that's realistically the most I expected, so in effect we've only lost one point. Better performance on the day by Liverpool, but I was happy with Spurs play too.

Think of it like this...

We got three at Citeh when we'd have settled for one.

We got none at Liverpool when we'd have settled for one.

We're +1 on our expectations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Finally, have RTE replaced the ManYoo cheerleading squad with the Liverpool cheerleading squad? Winds of change anyone?

If you call criticising Liverpool for not scoring more goals "cheerleading", then yes. Giles gave us credit, houghton focused on the negatives (1-0 victory against spurs is a negative?).

It was a great game no need for sour grapes.

Davei141 wrote:

It was a great game no need for sour grapes.

These sour grapes?
    Better team won on the day, Liverpool had the only chances in the 1st half, and apart from the period from the start of the 2nd half to the goal, were comfortable for most of the 2nd half.

Please read all my post or none of it.

Listening to Giles and Houghton I got the impression there was only one team on the pitch. Did the 90 minutes reflect that? Not IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kewell really should not have dived but sure thats life. Was a so so performance by Liverpool but beating the likes of Spurs are the games we really need to win. We have a tough few games ahead of us now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

It was a good game of football from both sides & I felt and in retrospect it was probably 50-50 on who deserved to win the game. I thought both sides played some good stuff at times and perhaps (over the 90 minutes) Liverpool shaded it. At half time I thought whichever team scored first would go on to win (as it was quite tight) and this proved to be the case. I thought the sending off of Salteri was harsh as when the challenge was intially made it looked like a yellow, replays proved this to be true. A great result for Liveprool and I'm quite chuffed tbh:)

Oh - what a great volley from Kewell btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think he was right to dive. It was at the end of the game so he chewed up some of the clock AND ended Spurs chances of getting an equaliser by pausing the little spell of attack they were on and also ruining their formation.

Thats much better than a 'possible goal' that only 'might' have resulted from him staying on his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Great resukt from the Pool against a v good spurs side. Seen both side if HK today with a brilliant goal and a bit of gamesmanship. All in all a fantastic day for Liverpool with Manu dumped on by their city rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

i hope kewell dies.
    Good thing you're a old-timey mod, if one of us plebs said something as OHHH-SO-OFFENSIVE we'd be out in the cold for a bit.

Good game, good result, cracking goal. Happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This is not a banning offence although perhaps it should be. There will be some consultation and a possible change to the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pigman II wrote:
    I think he was right to dive. It was at the end of the game so he chewed up some of the clock AND ended Spurs chances of getting an equaliser by pausing the little spell of attack they were on and also ruining their formation.

Thats much better than a 'possible goal' that only 'might' have resulted from him staying on his feet.

I'd rather he did'nt cheat tbh, and just got on with the football. If Mido had done the same in our box and got a penalty would you be saying the same thing?

Plus he needs a hair cut.:)

This is not a banning offence although perhaps it should be. There will be some consultation and a possible change to the charter.

So if I called you a wanker I would be banned but if I said I wish you were dead, I wouldn't be?

Stekelly wrote:
    If Mido had done the same in our box and got a penalty would you be saying the same thing?
    I would.
    Plus he needs a hair cut.:)
    No argument there.
    Good thing you're a old-timey mod, if one of us plebs said something as OHHH-SO-OFFENSIVE we'd be out in the cold for a bit.
    I'm sure it was just a typo and he meant to say 'I hope Kewell DYES' as in 'dyes his hair after he gets it cut' (like we all hope he will someday).

So if I called you a wanker I would be banned but if I said I wish you were dead, I wouldn't be?

please show us where i called someone a wánker.
    sounds like youre just moaning as usual.
    by the way, lose the animated avatar before i ban you from boards.ie

PiE wrote:
    us plebs .

indeed.

please show us where i called someone a wánker.
    sounds like youre just moaning as usual.

Show us where I said that you called someone a wanker?

Ban me.... Actually, please ban me...

Ah cut a Spurs fan some slack eh? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Ah cut a Spurs fan some slack eh?

some slack?! but arent spurs the future of british football? have all the potential in the world? on the up? better than liverpool? heirs to the champions league throne?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i got banned for saying "mourhinho is scum"
    now saying i would rather someone dead is better than this how??
    consistency is needed

• Advertisement

that AND we're all plebs in our lowly roles as non mods *shakes head*

if the mods mod us, who mods the mods....somebody please think of the children :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I refer you to this thread

Where people were banned first, and the charter was changed later...

Furthermore you said the 3 bannings were in the name of the "spirit" of the charter.

WWMan's comments was in no way constructive. People have been banned for less on this forum. But, I guess the "pecking order" prevails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sorry if already posted, got lost in the sea of insults and ban talk.

Kewells goal - http://rapidshare.de/files/11063963/VID0010.AVI.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sorry if already posted, got lost in the sea of insults and ban talk.

Kewells goal - http://rapidshare.de/files/11063963/VID0010.AVI.html

much appreciated

I was just about to say how pleased I was with the response of Liverpool fans, and how admirable their grace in victory was, then I read this bollox:
    el rabitos wrote:
    some slack?! but arent spurs the future of british football? have all the potential in the world? on the up? better than liverpool? heirs to the champions league throne?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I was taking the piss, but what the hell... why not blow everything out of proportion; it's the boards.ie way!

Thanks for the avi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The best thing about this game was the good spirit it was played in, two good footballing sides playing good football witout the usual bolax. Fair play tp Spurs and their fans, playd well but were second best during the 90 minutes. Lovely volley by Kewell too.

el rabitos wrote:

I agree with therecklessone- I've loads of Liverpool mates and have generally no problem with them doing well, but quotes like this piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I agree with therecklessone- I've loads of Liverpool mates and have generally no problem with them doing well, but quotes like this piss me off.

I think one of the reasons why some liverpool fans come out with comments like that is when a certain martin jol comes out in the papers saying spurs are better than liverpool and have achieved more considering where both managers started with their respective clubs.

Well yesterday liverpool proved than we are indeed better than spurs. The score would have been more if liverpool had been more clinical in front of goal.Yes spurs are a very good team but to compare them to liverpool is laughable. Liverpool are current CL holders, 3rd but have 2 games in hand on Utd and finally the latter stages of the CL.I rest my case. I only replyed to the above as it pisses of liverpool fans when you reasd rubbish like what martin jol was saying. You cant have it both ways buddy.

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    I think one of the reasons why some liverpool fans come out with comments like that is when a certain martin jol comes out in the papers saying spurs are better than liverpool and have achieved more considering where both managers started with their respective clubs.

Really? I preseume you refer to this:
    Martin Jol wrote:
    Jol insists the two clubs cannot be compared because while Liverpool have the ability to go out and replace players with big-name signings, Tottenham have gone about their business in a completely different manner.

However, the Spurs chief believes they have probably rebuilt themselves a little better than their forthcoming opponents in terms of the time taken.

"The quality in their squad is better because we would not win the Champions League for example," he explained.

"Everton did amazingly well last season but as soon as they played European football, they had a problem. It is about quality in the whole squad.

"Liverpool have been in the top four or five all the time. We weren't. It is much different. We needed a year and are top four now. I think maybe we did a better job than Liverpool if you compare the two clubs.

So he's talking about the way the clubs have built their squads aqnd how long they've taken to that, not the quality of the teams. He says it himself, Liverpool are a better squad.
    galwaydude wrote:
    You cant have it both ways buddy.

I don't want it both ways. Back up your claim that Martin Jol said Spurs are better than Liverpool or stop talking bollox.

Another reason could be the fact that Liverpool were supposed to finish 5th behind spurs, 5 games into the season. And the Martin Jol quote was perfectly acceptable, it was the Suns big "Ive done better than Benitez" that made you feel that way but always got to read the quotes ;).

galwaydude wrote:
    spurs are better than liverpool and have achieved more considering where both managers started with their respective clubs..

i dont kow where he said they were better than liverpool.
    i think you just made that up.
    unless you can show us where he said that.

i will tell you wht he did say though if you want, and mayeb you can read what was said and not go around making up random gems of information?

jol said that he thought that spurs had achieved more with regards to the league positions they occupied.
    jol said that liverpool were always a top 4 team, and that benitaz had done wonderful things by winning the champions league, however, he thought he had brought the spurs team forward by a lot more, because we were mid table last season and this season, we are in the top 4, have had our best start for something like 21 years, and actually can be counted as top 6 material now.

perhaps you re just a little jumpy becuase we are so close to you in the league.
    the fact you bneat us means you got another 3 points, nothing else. i think liverpool were a good way to judge how well this team is doing.
    as i see it, we were beaten 1-0 by a team that has won its last 9 games at home without conceeding a goal. a team that i think is second best in the league. i think we played well for the majority of it, we held the ball, we didnt panic, we played some beautiful football and we i dont think we were played off the pitch. another day and it would have been a draw, another day again, it would have been 5 - 0 to pool, and nother day again it would have been 3 - 0 to us. thats football. over all, i think we played well, and i think we deserve out league position.
    now, if you cant win the european cup with this years team, after fluking it with the rubbish that liverpool played last year, then im going to be disappointed.

Ah Stop trolling! Liverpool did'nt fluke anything, you dont fluke winning the CL. The game yesterday was only going to be decided by a goal whoever won it. Spurs are not that close to Pool, 4 points behind and 2 game more played so thats 10 points really (!). As for this years CL I expect an exit in the next round (sods law etc).

Spurs are a rapidly improving team no question and I hope they finish 4th at the expense of Arsenal or better still Man Utd.

Mike.

ps I've just read that Luis Garica did'nt play yesterday cos he's got a dodgy knee (could mean surgery).

now, if you cant win the european cup with this years team, after fluking it with the rubbish that liverpool played last year, then im going to be disappointed.
    In fairness to them (group stage aside) they were well worth their win last year.

good to see i'm not the only one who remembers all the spurs fan talking up the fact that they would be taking a champions league spot at the expence of liverpool, 5 games into the season :rolleyes:

now if anyones talking bollox, it was spurs fans, who proceed to talk more bollox by expecting people to be gracefull in victory. sorry, i'll be gracefull next week, win lose or draw because at least man u or chelsea or arsenal have WON something to merit their big talk.
    if you cant win the european cup with this years team, after fluking it with the rubbish that liverpool played last year, then im going to be disappointed.

and if you cant even win the carling cup with your team then we'll all be disappointed when our guts fall out our ass's from laughing. ****, no spurs are already knocked out of everything. :)

if anyone needs to be gracefull its spurs fans, generally u dont talk up your team like their such a threat unless they've actually done something to merit such a reputation

now, having said that, one day, maybe soon, spurs will be in a good strong postion to challenge chelsea, arsenal, man u and liverpool....for the fa cup

• Advertisement

Just to throw some fuel on the fire
    But Martin Jol headed out of Anfield having delivered a barely-disguised insult to Liverpool and their front men Peter Crouch and Fernando Morientes.

Jol said: "Until that goal from Kewell we did not have too much trouble from Liverpool's approach. They had a couple of... what is a nice word for 'lumps' up front ?

"Lumps is too rude, but what I mean is that they have big players up there and only once did Crouch trouble us at the far post in the first half."

Ouch! :D Keane and Mido were'nt exactly rapier-like yesterday.

Mike.

Was that really necessary? Liverpool had 12 shots on target to Spurs 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Man that was some goal by 'arry, my goal of the year so far. class, delighted for him.

Thanks for posting it up, one to keep for sure. Wonder what Gary Lineker thought of it.:rolleyes:

Anyone think Alonso had a bit of an off game, hope he hasnt caught harrikewelitius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well lots of teams have realised that stopping Alonso will stop 'Pool for long periods of play. Yesterday, i think Spurs had Tainio shadowing Alonso, thus denying him time and space to do his stuff. Luton used a similar tactic last week, which paid dividends.

Its true alright. Get a man on Alonso full time and it make a diff but that means others have more space of course!

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement