Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reinstalling xp home edition problem

• 14-01-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

The HD died on a HP Pavilion pc in my gf's school so i've replaced it and am trying to install xp home again. I dont have the pc's original cd so i'm using my own cd. Its got as far as the Enter Product Key stage so i am using the one that is on the XP home liscense sticker on the HP pc but setup is telling me its invalid!!!
    I've tried reentering it loads of times but it just wont work. it'll accept my own liscense key but obviously i wont use it.
    What can i do???

i've gone to the microsoft website and compared the tag and it looks genuine. why isnt the key being accepted???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

the product key on the HP is prob for a volume license or OEM copy of Win Xp. So if ur CD is not a volume or OEM version then it won't work.

It might be possible to install using ur key, and then change the key once installation is complete. (Instructions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

What you are trying to should work, you just need to make sure that *your* copy of Windows XP is Home Edition as well. If your CD contains the Pro Edition, a Home Edition key will not work.

OEM Home Editions, like those that came with a Dell PC/Notebook for example, are fine as well. I recently re-installed a Dell OEM copy of Windows XP onto a Targa laptop using its own key - all went well.

- Neil

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For Office 2000 the SR1 CD's would not take the older keys

Not sure if the same applies for XP. Try another OEM CD perhaps,
    Xp , XP Sp1 , Xp Sp1a , Xp 2 etc...

Advertisement