Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy the GF a Bravo - Any tips?

Options
  • 14-01-2006 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I'm gonna get the GF driving, but she insists on a Bravo. I don't like them myself, but she loves the shape of them... Typical!

Apart from the usuals, is there anything in particular I should look out for? Any weak points on this car? I can remember studying form before, and something about (I think?) the 12v being an unreliable engine? Any advise much appceciated.

BTW, looking at a 96 - 99 year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

does she like 307's or 206's .. better for residuals IMO and some chance she might like the looks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

JohnCleary wrote:
    Guys,
    I'm gonna get the GF driving, but she insists on a Bravo. I don't like them myself, but she loves the shape of them... Typical!

Apart from the usuals, is there anything in particular I should look out for? Any weak points on this car? I can remember studying form before, and something about (I think?) the 12v being an unreliable engine? Any advise much appceciated.

BTW, looking at a 96 - 99 year

My Advise is.....to buy mine its in top condition and features are as follow:
    My Car:
    (late i think) 2000 Fiat Bravo 1.2sx 16v 80
    Powder blue
    alloy wheels (tyres rear 90%, front 70-80%)
    full abarth body kit
    50,000 miles
    New timing belt at 40000
    new clutch at 45000
    gearbox is in very good condition (rare i know but i have had it checked for every service)
    Been serviced three times since i have owned it (since 39000miles)
    interior is in immaculate conditioned cleaned about once a week or two
    seats are very very clean and i have put some Classic(the brand not style) seat covers about 10months ago.
    pioneer cd/mp3 unit installed(professionally) a year ago (cost e375)
    Sigma S series alarm installed(professionally)18 months ago (cost e350)
    paintwork is excellent
    no faults with the car at all

so what ya think? PM me an (serious) offer if interested or not or If ya want Pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

neacy69 wrote:
    My Advise is.....to buy mine its in top condition and features are as follow:
    My Car:
    (late i think) 2000 Fiat Bravo 1.2sx 16v 80
    Powder blue
    alloy wheels (tyres rear 90%, front 70-80%)
    full abarth body kit
    50,000 miles
    New timing belt at 40000
    new clutch at 45000
    gearbox is in very good condition (rare i know but i have had it checked for every service)
    Been serviced three times since i have owned it (since 39000miles)
    interior is in immaculate conditioned cleaned about once a week or two
    seats are very very clean and i have put some Classic(the brand not style) seat covers about 10months ago.
    pioneer cd/mp3 unit installed(professionally) a year ago (cost e375)
    Sigma S series alarm installed(professionally)18 months ago (cost e350)
    paintwork is excellent
    no faults with the car at all

so what ya think? PM me an (serious) offer if interested or not or If ya want Pics

yeah , how mcuh??

C_Breeze wrote:
    yeah , how mcuh??
    was thinking around 5k maybe whats your budget

ps same body kit as this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Be interesting to see some pictures of this if possible.

Just posting my interest, leaving the bidding up to JohnCleary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hey man, new clutch at 45k??? dont like the sound of that, why the t-belt changed at 40k was that part of sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

zod wrote:
    does she like 307's or 206's .. better for residuals IMO and some chance she might like the looks

I'm on a lower budget than a 206 will buy. I just want to buy her a runabout to get used of driving, then get something nice after a years experience which will be a present from me if she passes her test (It will give her a bit of incentive!)

TBH guys im looking for advise, not selling offers. Does anyone have any info on mechanical flaws, or anything to look out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

TBH dont touch the fiat no matter what the g\f says just get a fiesta for a couple of months..

Ginger83 wrote:
    Hey man, new clutch at 45k??? dont like the sound of that, why the t-belt changed at 40k was that part of sale?

Yeah i asked for T-belt to be done just so i wouldn't have to get it done myself at 50k or 60k for e300 or whatever it costs....

I went on my J1Visa and parked her up in my dads Garage and when i came the clutch has seized or clutch plates or something like that dunno but i replaced the whole clutch anyway sure it'll doe her no harm.

Believe me she's never been abused or even driven too hard my GF reckons i treat the car better than i do her sometimes!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Heh, I'm starting to see why it stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

get her something from japan like toyota starlet glanza [ good lil runner ]
    or a nissan micra [ even better runner ]

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're looking at small engines options, go for the 1.2 16v over the 1.4 12v, as this engine is particularly troublesome, and no more powerful than the 1.2. also check the gear change between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd.

Any crashing at high rev gearchanges indicated a toasted syncromesh, common on the 1.2 especially. also make sure that the rear wiper works, as these are also known to fail.
    As with any Fiat, make sure all the electrics work, mirrors, windows sunroof, and that all the doors lock when they're supposed to. The 1.2 16v isn't too bad for blowing head gaskets, but do the usual checks just in case.
    Look out for airbag warning light (and make sure it actually comes on when ignition is switched on) the passenger occupancy sensor is quite sensitive on the Bravo and Brava, and can often cause the light to come on.

(5 grand for a 00 bravo is nuts by the way)

colm_mcm wrote:

(5 grand for a 00 bravo is nuts by the way)

No Alarm higher mileage no cd player no remote central locking no alloys no bodykit and here and not much cheaper than mine!!!!

similar carhigher miles higher price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

had one of these the biggest problem is the gearbox, which I blew in my bravo, it ain’t cheap to replace or even buy a reconditioned one.

Sarge wrote:
    had one of these the biggest problem is the gearbox, which I blew in my bravo, it ain’t cheap to replace or even buy a reconditioned one.
    thats only cos you drive like a maniac!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

neacy69 wrote:
    thats only cos you drive like a maniac!!!:D

No comment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

JohnCleary wrote:
    I'm on a lower budget than a 206 will buy. I just want to buy her a runabout to get used of driving, then get something nice after a years experience which will be a present from me if she passes her test (It will give her a bit of incentive!)

TBH guys im looking for advise, not selling offers. Does anyone have any info on mechanical flaws, or anything to look out for?

Fair enough John.. Honest John is a good place to start : honest

What to Watch Out For
    Accident damage. To check for rear suspension arm bush wear, look for uneven rear tyre wear. 'Knocking noise' from rear suspension may be subframe bush which is cheap and easy to cure (see above). If test driving a Selecta, make sure the electromagnetic clutch is 100% (there should be no jerk when you put the lever in 'drive', no jerk when you drive away, and no 'creep' at idle). Make sure it has its 'Red Key'and that all keys work (problem emerging over mismatched keys and lost codes at FIAT HQ). Check for cylinder head gasket failure. Make sure that the fuel pump is not leaking (new pump: £159 + VAT + fitting.) If the car has an electric sunroof, make sure it works as FIAT dealers charge £600 for a replacement. If a manual, check the transmission and clutch.
    Recalls
    1998 (March '97-Nov '97 build): Faulty seatbelt pre-tensioner. 1/8/2001: 77,166 Mk 1 Puntos built 1/1/1993 to 31/12/1996 (VINs ending 0010087 to 6023643)recalled to check for corroded brake pipe, replace as necessary and apply corrosion protection to remaining pipes. 17/8/2001: 3,055 Mk 1 Puntos built 1/1/1994 to 31/12/1995 recalled because water ingress to driver and passenger airbag ECU can set them off. Water protection to be fitted to ECU. Source: reader 22-9-2001: Possible secret TSB to renew brake master cylinders if owners report sudden loss of brakes (see 'What's Bad').

Thanks for the tips lads, all noted :D

She saw a picture of a Suzuki Cappuccino and she's changed her mind. I might import one in the coming months, as they're rare cars on Irish soil

neacy69 wrote:
    No Alarm higher mileage no cd player no remote central locking no alloys no bodykit and here and not much cheaper than mine!!!!

similar carhigher miles higher price

just cos a dealer who i've never heard of is using 4250 as a starting price on a 6 year old fiat doesn't make yours worth 5

colm_mcm wrote:
    just cos a dealer who i've never heard of is using 4250 as a starting price on a 6 year old fiat doesn't make yours worth 5

yeah as my point already made is that mine is in much better condition with more features and less miles and mine is only e5000 as the starting price so IN MY OPINION the starting price that i said for mine is justified with the examples i gave from carzone.ie

• Advertisement

i suppose it's your own business to ask what you want for your car based on what you think it's worth. I just think anyone who pays 5 grand for a 6 year old bravo needs help. and it's well known that carzone prices are optimistic to say the least

Quick note, extras on a car such as alloys and a bodykit DOES NOT increase the value, a person who does invest these funds for this equipment and expects to get them back on the resale are optimistic to say the least.If you were so sure of you valuation why are you selling your car privately?

One fair point to state would be any garage would offer a six or twelve month guarantee on the purchase of any car, would you agree? No offence but why would someone pay over and above the odds for yours?

it's not as if it's a top spec model with, say... an armrest, or a sunroof, or ABS.......

Way to go off topic :rolleyes:

John, I think we have drifted off the topic but as you can see the majority of opinions advise you to be aware of overvalued cars with extras that do not justify the price hike, it is of course your final decision what you choose.Best of luck with it,Regards

Ginger83 wrote:
    John, I think we have drifted off the topic but as you can see the majority of opinions advise you to be aware of overvalued cars with extras that do not justify the price hike, it is of course your final decision what you choose.Best of luck with it,Regards

I agree with what you say. I am not looking for a modified car. I am looking for a bog standard Bravo, possibly with a CD player. Its the gf's first car, im hardly gonna buy her something thats lowered with a bodykit that she's gonna smash 5 minutes after hopping into for the first time :)

I'm not a newbie to cars, been driving for a few years, picking things up quickly as I do a lot of work on my own/friends car(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

cappucino is a great car - I doubt you'll lose much value on it over time either.

cappucino is a great car - I doubt you'll lose much value on it over time either.

I do want to actually use the car, not just buy it and sell it on again!

the cappucino is a pram!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

john buy the lil capachino the a soft top right ?

Advertisement