Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Letter to Gamesmaster on the XBox360

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The reason why the backwards compatability is done so is not due to massive console differences, its all a clever scam to get people registered to xbox live.

Thats the REAL reason given by a xbox develoer to a tv show i ws watching.

Think about it, everyone is wanting to play old games as well as new ones, to do so, you gotta register to xbox live to dl the emulators. The other ways of doig it are a bit of hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its free to register to Xbox Live silver to d/l the emulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

u can dl it off of the ms xbox site and burn it to cd too for free and as far as i remember there is no registering/sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I for one am interested in backwards compatibility. I put in major gameplay time with PS1 games on my PS2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Backwards compatibilty means more to the parents buying the console as they imagine little Billy playing his old games on it instead of draining their coffers for new full price titles for the new machine. Of course it never works out that way and most old titles just collect dust, if indeed thay have not been sold off or traded in for the console in their lives.
    To fans and collectors its nice to just pop a game into the 360 and play our back catalog of Xbox games but I wouldn't fret too much as the original console is almost right next to the 360.
    Backwards compatibility only gains some sense of usefulness when one considers the handheld markets. When you only have room for one machine in your pockets you naturally prefer the one that lets you play the most, the GBA SP with gameboy/color compatibility and the DS with GBA compatibility.
    My backpack has my entire GBA and DS collection in it, following my DS and I everywhere.

As for the 360 launch lineup, what the hell was really wrong with it, assuming most folk bought 2/3 games for it there was enough original titles there for all types of customer, all that is bar an RPG, but then cutting edge graphics have never sold you a console for your particular brand of gaming, has it?
    Since the birth of RPGs on pen and paper its been about scoring systems and story lines, so the lack of 360 material shouldn't upset you too much, not with Zelda and Dragon Quest on the horizon.

The notion that games in the old days were better is a load of nonsense, there has never been the range of great quality games out there, both inspired updates to existing franchises, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, outstanding sequels to already outstanding games, Project Gotham 3, original gaming that break the rules of what a console is capable of, God Of War, Gran Turismo 4 and truely awesome new gaming experiences that change what we can and should expect of videogaming, Nintendogs, Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat.

There has never been a better time to be a gamer of whatever level of devotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Monument was onto something until he pointed out that he clearly doesn't have any sort of leg to stand on...:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Me? No, my point (which was not that he/she made mistakes, but made so many the post was annoying to read, for me at least) was off-topic, so I think we need to get back there, back on topic that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The reason why the backwards compatability is done so is not due to massive console differences, its all a clever scam to get people registered to xbox live.

Thats the REAL reason given by a xbox develoer to a tv show i ws watching.

Think about it, everyone is wanting to play old games as well as new ones, to do so, you gotta register to xbox live to dl the emulators. The other ways of doig it are a bit of hassle...

I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, the main reason is that the XBox games were coded specifically for the Nvidia card, which won't run on an ATI card. So, rather than pay a huge fee to Nvidia to license this tech from a competitor, they chose to software emulate old Xbox games.

And as mentioned, the fact that it's free to sign up and download the emulation packs from Live! do weaken your theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

And as mentioned, the fact that it's free to sign up and download the emulation packs from Live! do weaken your theory.

Or completely disprove it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

my brother got an xbox360 on launch day, now he has 6 games for it aswell as 2 control pads.
    I havent EVER played it since he got it.

this a good thing or a bad thing?
    problem is, there is nothing i want to play on it. like i mean REALLY want to. Viewtiful Joe want to, if ya get me.
    imo, a definate sign in my eyes that the "next gen" has come too early for ms.
    it wont be another dreamcast though... which is unfortunate cos the dreamcast has awesome once in a lifetime games on it, whereas the 360 will have loads of Halo & pimp my project racer underground car games.
    cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

In the store I work in it seems every 10th person i speak to they have a complaint abut the xbox 360 backwards compatability, that they cant play there old games. They canot grasp the concept of going on xbox live and downlaoding the emulators required.

I asume all you 360 owners understand that like every 2 weeks or month another 50 games a released into your backwards compat catalogue, yeah?

THEN STOP BOTHERING ME AT WORK ABOUT IT !

=P

the reason why people are moaning about backwards compatability is, the actual 360 games are rubbish and they have to play something on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

lol

xbox wont be a dreamcast because its run by MS and its vast vast fortune.

vast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

while that is true, i believe sega had something like 100million to market the dreamcast while bill wipes his ass with that... they are still owned by shareholders who only want one thing and if it just keeps losing money they would eventually pull the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

as much as it pains me i tend to agree with the original poster. I think what hes saying is that while its obviously buisness to have the 360 games upgraded from XBox versions its a little silly when you actually play these games and find out that there are little to no differences in graphics and they dont seem to belong on a brand new console thats just been released. Obviously, games on the PSOne improved in graphics as time went on, but i think with the 360 they've got to ultilize as much of the graphics and power of the console RIGHT NOW so by the time Sony releases the press announcement for the PS3 and a trailer for MGS4 people dont feel weak in the knees and decide to save their hard earned cash.

omg now i know you are the person who started this thread or else your his brother cause you posted the exact same thread about family guy again jesus why you need 2 names unless your banned from somewhere as monty

Advertisement