Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klaasen V Barneveld

• 14-01-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

who do you think will win?

I would like to see Klassen win, he has been astounding in the competition so far. and just after seeing him beat Greatbatch I have little doubt he will lose TBH. that 145 finish was outstanding!

and after the match they showed the final two sets from the Barneveld/Adams match and Barneveld was not nearly as on top of his game as he should have been. only time will tell however.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Although Klaasens has been very good so far I think Barney will win tomorrow purely because he is far more consistent than Klaasens who tends to go off the boil during a game at some point. Also Barney has averaged higher in most of his games. It is set up to be a great match but I think Barneys experience and consistency will tell in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I think the occasion will be to big for Klassen being so young and inexperienced. Also i think Barney can only improve making it a bridge to far for Klassen.
    7-4 in sets to Van Barneveld.

7-2 in sets to Barnie for me.

I'd like to see Klassen win, but unless Barnie's eye falls out with his scratching, it can only be a Barnie win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Kingp35 wrote:
    Although Klaasens has been very good so far I think Barney will win tomorrow purely because he is far more consistent than Klaasens who tends to go off the boil during a game at some point. Also Barney has averaged higher in most of his games. It is set up to be a great match but I think Barneys experience and consistency will tell in the end
    agrees!

Who do you reckon will shoot the most 180's?.
    Is Barney running hotter than Klassen so far on 180's thrown?

• Advertisement

Oh my God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

now that was a brilliant match! both players played unbelievably. I was the one on here who said Jelle had a chance, and I was right. fair fúcks to him!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What a game of Darts and I take my hat off to Jelle Klaasen. The only thing I will say is that Barney was not his usual self and the amount of doubles he missed was not n for a player of his standard. he looked so dejected at the end.

Klaasen was very good though, I think he averaged around the 92 mark in the end. He is such a laid back guy but I think he was in shock at the end because he didnt kno what to say. Great match, great tournament and a great champion. He will be here for years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

So did anyone put any money on Klaasen? I was going to after he beat Harbour in the first round but didn't follow my conviction through.

Jelle played really well when it mattered but Barney will justifiably be bitterly disappointed, having given up so many chances. Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing Jelle at 100/1 again anytime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

ullu wrote:
    So did anyone put any money on Klaasen? I was going to after he beat Harbour in the first round but didn't follow my conviction through.

Jelle played really well when it mattered but Barney will justifiably be bitterly disappointed, having given up so many chances. Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing Jelle at 100/1 again anytime soon!

I seen Klaasen beat i tink Mervin King in one of the earlier stages and was sure that he would get to the final and possibly win it! I'm kicking myself now that i didnt throw a few yoyos his way in the bookies....aw well!!!

But he showed a cool head today and what a finish! If he doesnt leave the BDO now and go to sky....otherwise he could easily win >5 titles

Quite possibly one of the best games iv seen EVER!"!!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Brilliant game of darts. Maybe some of the 'hands' weren't great (i.e. one time Klassess hit 26 while at 450, roughly) but the entertainment value more than made up for it.

Barney was rattled around the 11th set and never really got back into it.

Fair play to Klassens - if he never does anything else with his career, he can always say 'For a time I was the youngest EVER World Darts Champion'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

"I just hope whoever is looking after him doesn't try to set up a unification match against Phil Taylor because Phil would kill him." - Eric Bristow

I would love to see that match go ahead as Klaasen seems to have no nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

great match..i was hopping all over the place..so glad that 'yellow' won:D
    good to see young blood come into the game and aswell not your typical fat pub guys:rolleyes: fair fcuks to him indeed..well done!

TBH I have to agree with Bristow about the standard of the final. Yes Klaasens threw some good darts but his average was no great shakes and and certainly would not have been good enough to win in the PDC circuit. Im not sure if I would go as far and say that the PDC is better quality on average, after watching both championships I would say they are pretty even or the PDC is slightly better. But lets be honest to win the championship where he had barely a 90 average in the semi-final and barely a 91 average in the final is not high quality darts.

"I just hope whoever is looking after him doesn't try to set up a unification match against Phil Taylor because Phil would kill him." - Eric Bristow

He is right, Taylor would kill him. He averages about 12 points more than Jelle per throw!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think the standard in both the BDO and PDC are similar (with the natual exception of Taylor). However, up to the final I thought the Lakeside was a poor enough tournament overall. The coverage isnt a patch on what we get with Sky, the atmosphere in the crowd didnt seem to be near as good and there were a couple of amateurish moments with the lights going out and the board nearly falling off, and by far the most important the standard of the darts generally just wasnt as good as this year's PDC equivalent. Not helped by the early loss of top players such as King, Hankey, Fitton, Fordham, Eccles, Walton.

However, then along came the final, and it obliterated any bad memories of the previous week. Fantastic match. I think the pressure of the 5th championship just got to Bareny, and fair play to Klaasen for taking most of the chances offered up to him. Klaasen is very erratic, can throw 26 and then follow it up with a 180 in 2 seconds. And thankfully he's a lot more good than bad. And very impressed that his mind was just as fast as his arm - never had to pause to think what he had left or what he should go for. Very like Bristow and Deller in that regard. Although if I was asked if I thought would he be more like Bristow (multiple world champ) or Deller (1 time WC, then many years in the top 10), I think I'd plump for the latter - but time will tell.

I honestly wouldnt like to see a match up against Taylor, as I think it would be a hockeying. In saying that Klaasen did have numerous sets throughout the championship were I'd say he was averaging 110+, which showed the potential he has to challenge and beat Taylor. But he also had a lot of sets where he would have been down in the 70s. Overall he averaged pretty much exactly 90 in every game - not good enough to challenge Taylor who averaged as follows in the PDC this year:
    97 - 102 - 108 - 106 - 97 - 107.

Agree with everything you say Rooster. One thing that really annoyed me was the lack of coverage. For example in the Adams and Atkins match which Adams eventually won 4-3, they had the program scheduled from 6-7. Now when it reached 7pm te match was poised at 3-3 after that great Adams comeback but the BBC just ended the program right in te middle of one of the matches of the tournament. I can see no sense in this and its just amatuer sport coverage if you as me which im surprised at by the BBC.

As for the tournament itself, I also agree that the atmosphere at matches and stuf isnt a patch on the PDC. The PDC turns matches into spectacles in how they run them in that they have music and entertainment before matches to get the crowd in the mood. They also have their excellent music and all the 180 signs and free hats and they do everything the make the atmosphere so brilliant and unique. You also get all the easy chants etc. The atmosphere is so much better at the PDC. Even the simple things of player walk ons are done much better by the PDC.

Again its the old arguement of which organisation is better. After watching this years championships and actually going to the PDC champioships, overal how everything is run ill give it to the PDC everytime. The BDO must try and do something or they will continuously lose their better players to the PDC. As for Klaasens I think he will stay in the BDO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭tunaman

Kingp35 wrote:
    TBH I have to agree with Bristow about the standard of the final. Yes Klaasens threw some good darts but his average was no great shakes and and certainly would not have been good enough to win in the PDC circuit. Im not sure if I would go as far and say that the PDC is better quality on average, after watching both championships I would say they are pretty even or the PDC is slightly better. But lets be honest to win the championship where he had barely a 90 average in the semi-final and barely a 91 average in the final is not high quality darts.

He is right, Taylor would kill him. He averages about 12 points more than Jelle per throw!!

Where was Taylor when he was 21?:confused:

Klaasen's averages don't look great compared to Taylor but having watched both tournaments I reckon Klassen had more 13 dart or less finishes.

He is inconsistent but Taylor would need to be at his very best to live with Klaasen during half the sets he played,where he must have averaged 110 or more.

He beat the best the BDO had to offer in King the no.1 seed and the reigning champ Barney and although Klaasen will probably stay with them I can't see why he can't play in the premier league(starting soon) on sky as it's not PDC sanctioned.

It will be a pity if he doesn't play in the league as we will not see him again for a long time due to the poor coverage of the BDO.

tunaman wrote:
    Klaasen's averages don't look great compared to Taylor but having watched both tournaments I reckon Klassen had more 13 dart or less finishes.

He is inconsistent but Taylor would need to be at his very best to live with Klaasen during half the sets he played,where he must have averaged 110 or more.

I very much doubt it considering you would need to have quite a few 13 dart finishes to have an average of over 100. Taylor averaged 107 in the final which was 7 sets. Thats some standard, a full 17 points per three darts more than Klaasens. Also you say some sets Klaasens might average 110 but some sets Taylor will average 120. There really is no comparison between the two, Klaasens doesnt even come close.

I take your point he is only 21 so will probably get better but the moment there is no point in comparing them because Taylor would kill him.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I very much doubt it considering you would need to have quite a few 13 dart finishes to have an average of over 100. Taylor averaged 107 in the final which was 7 sets. Thats some standard, a full 17 points per three darts more than Klaasens. Also you say some sets Klaasens might average 110 but some sets Taylor will average 120. There really is no comparison between the two, Klaasens doesnt even come close.

I take your point he is only 21 so will probably get better but the moment there is no point in comparing them because Taylor would kill him.

You are obsessed with averages as it's hitting doubles that wins matches.

Mardle should have beaten Taylor in the semi as Taylor fell apart despite leading 3-0 in sets.He was 1 dart away from losing 5 sets in a row and even his flights were shaking he was under that much pressure.All this came about without Mardle even playing great darts.

If Mardle not at his best can do that to Taylor then I see no reason why Klassen who has the bottle(unlike Mardle)could beat Taylor.

• Advertisement

tunaman wrote:
    You are obsessed with averages as it's hitting doubles that wins matches.

Mardle should have beaten Taylor in the semi as Taylor fell apart despite leading 3-0 in sets.He was 1 dart away from losing 5 sets in a row and even his flights were shaking he was under that much pressure.All this came about without Mardle even playing great darts.

If Mardle not at his best can do that to Taylor then I see no reason why Klassen who has the bottle(unlike Mardle)could beat Taylor.

I was at the Mardle and Taylor match so I experienced the match first hand. Taylor played very poor in that game and still came out with a 97 average. It was an off day for him and yes Mardle should have won (I had money on him as well!!) but Taylor fought back and had a great final set.

Im obsessed with averages for a reason. Your right doubles count more than averages but probably the reason Klaasens average is so mediocre compared to Taylors is because he misses loads of doubles. If you miss three darts at a double your average goes down loads. Klaasens misses plenty whereas Taylor (bar the Mardle match) misses very few, hence the high average. As Bobby George says "scoring for show, doubles for dough", Taylor does both.

There really is no comparison between the two so I cant see where your going to go with this argument. Klaasens is only 21 so will most likely improve, nut it would have to be by a hell of alot if he wants to come near Taylors standards.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im obsessed with averages for a reason. Your right doubles count more than averages but probably the reason Klaasens average is so mediocre compared to Taylors is because he misses loads of doubles. If you miss three darts at a double your average goes down loads. Klaasens misses plenty whereas Taylor (bar the Mardle match) misses very few, hence the high average. As Bobby George says "scoring for show, doubles for dough", Taylor does both.

There really is no comparison between the two so I cant see where your going to go with this argument. Klaasens is only 21 so will most likely improve, nut it would have to be by a hell of alot if he wants to come near Taylors standards.

Did Taylor beat Bristow in the world final when he was 21?because Klaasen has done the equivalent by beating Barney.

The reason Klaasen has a fairly low average is due to him being very inconsistent and in doing so rarely had a shot at a double in some sets.
    The fact he had 44 180's in the tounament and was 7 darts to a 9 darter when 2-0 down in his first match just shows how talented he is.His is only playing the game for 4 years and is just a kid so is bound to be inconsistent.

Joh Part in commentating got it spot on when he said he really seems to play his best when under pressure which is a quality I don't think even Taylor can claim to have.

By the way the player with the highest average in the BDO this year was none other than Martin Atkins.:confused:

Im taking your points about him being 21 and what he has accomplished but you are seriously jumping the gun by comparing him to Taylor, I wouldnt even say he is as good as Lloyd yet but who knows he could get that good eventually.
    tunaman wrote:
    By the way the player with the highest average in the BDO this year was none other than Martin Atkins.:confused:

I dont see why you are so surprised that Atkins had the highest average, he is a top player who has done brilliantly on the BDO circuit over the last year. His standards dropped slightly in the Adams match and so he let Adams back into it but Adams had to throw brilliant darts to overcome him. Atkins was tipped as a dark horse before the tournament started. Also Atkins didnt play as many sets as others so has a distinct advantage there.

Does anybody know a link where you can see all the stats for this game 100+ 140+ 180+ etc?

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im taking your points about him being 21 and what he has accomplished but you are seriously jumping the gun by comparing him to Taylor, I wouldnt even say he is as good as Lloyd yet but who knows he could get that good eventually.

Klaasen hitting 44 maximums in a world championship compares very favourably with Taylor whose best is 37 twice in 1999 and 2002.

The records only go back to 1994 on his own site but I think it's safe to assume he didn't hit anymore than that when he was in the BDO as just in case you didn't know the board they use has smaller trebles.:D

I think Hankey hit 48, the year he won the Embassy. I think thats the record. Barney's best is just under 40.

Comparisons might not always be fair, given number of legs played would be an inportant factor.

I think Hankey hit 48, the year he won the Embassy. I think thats the record. Barney's best is just under 40.

Comparisons might not always be fair, given number of legs played would be an inportant factor.

I never claimed Klaasen with 44 was a record.

Kingp said Klaasen couldn't be compared with Taylor when the facts show he not only compares with him he beats him.;)

tunaman wrote:
    Kingp said Klaasen couldn't be compared with Taylor when the facts show he not only compares with him he beats him.;)

Taylor averages higher so he wins :p

tunaman wrote:
    I never claimed Klaasen with 44 was a record.

I never claimed you claimed Klassen with 44 was a record :D . I was just letting anybody who doesnt know know that baldy vamp holds the rec :p

As for Klaasen v Taylor. If you just look at averages, you'd conclude Taylor would win 7-0. But (assuming their form in their respective WCs were replicated), Klaasen would definitely take sets from Taylor. In my opinion, at least 3, possibly up to 5. But I'd take Taylor's consistency to win out in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement