Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cert type

Options
  • 14-01-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

What type of licence is required to shoot rabbit with a .22

I know i need a gun lience :rolleyes: >>>do i need a Limited unlimited Hunting endorsed??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Only shotgun is limited/unlimited, what you need is a straight forward .22 rifle lisence. Nothing complicated just the certificate and get on with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

Is rabbit a exempted mammel under the wildlife act?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

scout wrote:
    Is rabbit a exempted mammel under the wildlife act?

No, its considered fair game, would love to know where you have the rabbits:D ...Haven't seen any for a long time on the land here:mad: !

lol

Only Hare needs an extra certificate/approval (not sure which) to shoot.

HTH,
    Scorph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

scout can you give me a link to the application download

and can you fill it in yourself and hand it in or do you have to do it in the presence of a guarda

scout can you give me a link to the application download

and can you fill it in yourself and hand it in or do you have to do it in the presence of a guarda

I hope I can help you with this.

I'm not really sure what application you are referring to that you can get on the internet...All the paperwork you need to get a .22 licence is in the Garda station. You NEED to fill this out and sign it in the presence of the Garda...preferably the firearms Garda since they can answer any questions you may have regarding the firearm licence (that is the case in my station since the regular Gardai didn't have much of a clue!)

If you are in doubt, go to a firearms store, chose your firearm and ask them all the questions you may have...Just make sure you are satisfied that you know everything there is to know about your selected firearm before using it...its better that way!!

Have fun, and good luck in the search!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Garda fills in ure firearms application or any amendments.

http://www.targetshootingireland.org/Graphics/FirearmsApplicationForm_800.png

best i chould find its more to look at than to print

scorphonic wrote:
    No, its considered fair game, would love to know where you have the rabbits:D ...Haven't seen any for a long time on the land here:mad: !

Cork rounded a corner of a field and saw up 17 different rabbit farmer realy pissed over them will ave lots of fun:D

was up in wicklow and shot 12 of them in the one field driving around in the jeep(out the sunroof) within 10-15mins tonnes of them around

ill go down and talk to the firearms officer then thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Can I just ask a question :confused:

Why do you? Or why would you want to shoot rabbits?? For fun or food?

CroppyBoy1798

• Advertisement

Theres loads of reasons mainly because theres so many of them and they damage alot of things and they're a nuisance to farmers

while i dont eat them myself alot of people would id give them to the dogs or cats as food though

its also fun to shoot them aswell tryin to get up close to them and hitting them right where your aiming

the main reason is because they're considered vermin but its great fun aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Could do with a half dozen bucks&does [alive] down im my part of the world,to breed.Havent seen any wabbitts here in fifteen plus years.

Can I just ask a question :confused:

Why do you? Or why would you want to shoot rabbits?? For fun or food?

CroppyBoy1798

Yes very tasty no fat meat therefor healthy
    one rabbit will almost eat his own weight a day ,so i heard cost considerable to farmers me shooting them is less painful than poison or dog huntin' ferritin' etc
    breed totaly out of control a rabbit three months old can breed a litter of 8...three months later 64 then 512 then 4,096. 32,768 by the end of the year with out losses... take a 1.5kg rabbit x 512 =768 kg per day of damage
    see the need for control!!!:D figures would not hold up in real life due to losses but you get the point

good fun as well brings a purpose to a walk

Could do with a half dozen bucks&does [alive] down im my part of the world,to breed.Havent seen any wabbitts here in fifteen plus years.

Go down to a pet store and get a couple of white ones stand out as a target:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Do you need a special cert for a hare?

Is it not just a bunny with bigger ears?

demonloop wrote:
    Do you need a special cert for a hare?

Is it not just a bunny with bigger ears?

Yes you need a special cert to shoot a hare...if you want to shoot them speak with your local Gardai.

Haha...its related but considered a different species. When you first see a hare you will probably think it is a rabbit- made a few mistakes in the past with them...best thing to do is to study how they move. Hares have much longer legs so they really (REALLY) stretch out when they run...rabbits tend to bob up and down as they run around the place. Check out www.nargc.ie, they have all the photos you need of every animal that can be hunted.

O and Scout...can you send some of those randy rabbits to my neck of the woods...haha...after 3 years shooting I have never seen a rabbit in the whole 2,000 acres I have to shoot on!

scorphonic wrote:
    O and Scout...can you send some of those randy rabbits to my neck of the woods...haha...after 3 years shooting I have never seen a rabbit in the whole 2,000 acres I have to shoot on!

Generaly when i talk to them face to face they are't wery talkitive sorry....:D

Advertisement