Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is unsung

• 14-01-2006 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

hero quite literally the case for Ireland's Steve Finnan. Despite being one of the best right full backs in the Premiership, even the Kop doesnt have chant for one of its own.

Finnan rediscovered his Fulham form towards the end of last year and is flourishing under Benitez this season ( as many of you shrewd fantasy football players know only too well;) ). Even whilst talking about the few plus points in the current Irish set up, Finnans name is often forgotten.

Im here to put the record straight !! Well in Mr Finnan!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

liverpool fans in general do appreciate what he does for the team,
    He's generally lumped in with gerrard and carra as one of our most consisteny players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Carra and Gerrard are gods at anfield at the moment. Dont think Finnan is held in such high regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Carra and Gerrard are gods at anfield at the moment. Dont think Finnan is held in such high regard.
    thats because he is pretty average imo

county wrote:

yes but your a man utd fan.
    most people i speak to in liverpool have a great opinion of the man.
    and his form speaks for itself.
    best right back in the prem atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Didn't play much at right back for Ireland recently as sunbed addict Stephen Carr was favoured instead.

On current form, he is the best right back in the Prem, lovely cross for Kewels goal today as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

county wrote:

nothing biased there at all eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

He's played 20 games( i think ) in the premiership this season and conceded in just 3 of those games.
    That's a lot of clean sheets.

In the few games that he's been out they've conceded at least 2 each game.

He's also good for a few assists.
    His assist for Kewell's goal today was brilliant.

I don't know why Kerr didn't play him more.
    I rate him far higher than Carr.
    Hopefully he'll get to play more under Staunton.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

K!LL!@N wrote:
    He's played 20 games( i think ) in the premiership this season and conceded in just 3 of those games.
    That's a lot of clean sheets.

In the few games that he's been out they've conceded at least 2 each game.

He's also good for a few assists.
    His assist for Kewell's goal today was brilliant.

I don't know why Kerr didn't play him more.
    I rate him far higher than Carr.
    Hopefully he'll get to play more under Staunton.

Killian

I'd imagine he will with Carr retired.

nothing biased there at all eh?
    no not at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

county wrote:

You must be joking. People have questioned Rafa's rotation policy but he ALWAYS gets on the team sheet along with Gerrard, Carra, Sami and Crouch.........and he's got me and the 'Pool a sh!t loads of assists this year also! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

county wrote:

and I suppose you think Gary Neville is not only a better full-back but world class :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

county wrote:

He's much better than "pretty average", and one of the reasons Liverpool will soon be overtaking United in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Id much rather Steve Finnan going about his business without an insane amount of praise, i think saying hes consistently good and very solid is enough for a right back.

Big Ears wrote:
    and I suppose you think Gary Neville is not only a better full-back but world class :rolleyes: .

i feel neville is better and bags more experience,and as a few posters have said he plays second string the carr in a weak irish team,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think he is a very good player and certainly he is paying the best in the PL and the moment. He is excellent in defence and causes teams problems when he goes forward, very good at crossing the ball. I was one of these people who couldnt understand why Kerr kept picking Carr ahead of him when Finnan was clearly the better option.

county wrote:
    and as a few posters have said he plays second string the carr in a weak irish team,

They both play in the premiership, surely you could make your own judgement as to whether Carr is better than Finnan? Its laughable that you call him average when hes a permanent fixture in a extremely good defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I feel Gary Neville is the second best right full back in the premiership, after Ferriera, I think Finnan comes in a strong third.
    The guy is one of the most consistant, if not the most consistant, preformer in the Liverpool team, in 3rd place. He has a record which speaks for itself, and is one of the few Irish players to hold a CL winners medal.
    The guy is class, and I will never ever ever ever ever understand why Carr gets to play ahead of him in the Ireland setup, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

His passing/crossing is fantastic from that RB position. Could never understand, why Kerr never utilised that avenue of attack for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I agree. Hes almost got a good head on his shoulders, you never see him shouting at the ref or losing his temper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Finnan is up there as one of the best RB's in the league. Kerr should have played him more on the right side of midfield. I can't beleive that Rafa tried to off load him when he took over the Pool.

wasn't he facing jail for man slaughter or something? drink driving was the cause if i remember correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Finnan is up there as one of the best RB's in the league. Kerr should have played him more on the right side of midfield. I can't beleive that Rafa tried to off load him when he took over the Pool.

wasn't he facing jail for man slaughter or something? drink driving was the cause if i remember correctly?

It was dangerous driving, not drink-driving, IIRC.

edit:// Yep - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4090868.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No, there was no alcohol involved. He was arrested 3 months afterwards on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. And the case was dropped later on due to unsufficient evidence.

He didnt try to offload him, he brought in Josemi for competition.

i'd say on current form, he's better than neville by quite an amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Davei141 wrote:
    He didnt try to offload him, he brought in Josemi for competition.

there were a lot of rumours linking him with a return to Fulham or a transfer to spurs at the time as well.

there were a lot of rumours linking him with a return to Fulham or a transfer to spurs at the time as well.

it really doesnt matter if he was rumoured to be leaving the fact is he has stayed and is now a very important part of liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

county wrote:
    i feel neville is better..

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!
    That comment should be moved to the humour thread!:D :D:D

rondeco wrote:
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!
    That comment should be moved to the humour thread!:D :D:D

ha ha very funny,but you know iam right:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i feel neville is better..

i cant flaw neville defencively, he's been solid at the back for united for years.

where he falls short is in going forward, he offers very little and contributes nothing to uniteds attack imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That used to be the case, but he has developed his game a lot going forward in the last 2 years.
    Now the majority of goals coming for United go through him at the inital stage down the right flank.
    There is also a clear increase in goals scored when he returned from injury.
    He doesn't get many assists, but he works with Ronaldo well and brings out the best in him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Looks Like Rafa Agrees
    Rafael Benitez today praised the consistency of Steve Finnan and outlined his importance to the team.
    Right-back Finnan was his usual impeccable self in Saturday's 1-0 win over Tottenham and Benitez believes the arrival of Jan Kromkamp will ensure the Irish international gets even better.

"Finnan is a player who will always play at a consistent level," Benitez says.

"He will be seven, eight, nine or even ten out of ten every week. This is really important for the team. Some players find a good level for individual games, but don't do the same every week. Finnan does it for a whole season.

"The added competitiveness of Jan Kromkamp will also be good for him and the team and help him maintain his current level."

yom 1 wrote:
    Looks Like Rafa Agrees

He must have been reading boards over the last number of days!! He's praised everyone on the team over the last 6 months bar Finnan!

Well done son!

Now Phil Neal's full of praise!! You the man Finnan

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151180060118-1330.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Top player for us and has only got better since he arrived at the club.

Head and shoulders above Gary Neville for me. Has a more steadying effect than Neville is having on the united defense plus steve could grow a moustache if he wanted to :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

ianomccabe wrote:
    Top player for us and has only got better since he arrived at the club.

Head and shoulders above Gary Neville for me. Has a more steadying effect than Neville is having on the united defense plus steve could grow a moustache if he wanted to :D:D:D

i agree.....moustaches for him and carra........GODS
    seruisly tho when do u ever hear of Finnan making a big cock-up or see him getting completely skinned.
    Now Djimi Traore....different kettle of fishys

• Advertisement
Advertisement