Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cables and Speakers

Options
  • 15-01-2006 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Ok have a 5.1 surround system by LG.its an all in one system ie the amp,cd/dvd player fm radio are all part.The speakers aren't too bad but was thinking of upgrading the speakers to Bose or Tannoy.Will the amp itself be able to cope with this is or do I need a more powerful amp for better speakers?

Also,any advice on "better" speaker cables or do this matter?

Thanks

I know you might reccomend getting seperates but don't have the cash and the system itself is great as regards inputs etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The amp is probably as in important, but by all means get speakers and cables. You'll be able yo use them down the road when you get an amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

cables are only as good as the speakers you have on them, but by all means use good decent speaker cable make sure its OFC (oxygen free copper) and between 8-16 gauge.
    This makes sure there is less resistance and gives heaiyer bass and high trebles.

yes you will have to match your amp for the speakers, if you find the specs of the speakers your using ie: wattage and ohms (~4-8 ohms) then get the specs for you amp and match them, i recommend to allow usually 10watts of power on an amp just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I wouldnt touch bose speakers with a 70mile long bargepole at the prices they ask.
    Awful.

Dont get wrapped up in the whole "speaker cable makes the world go around" debate. Get some cheap Cat 5 cable and follow this guide: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html
    Heard some tonight - very impressive.

but doesnt that guide explain that you have to get more than 1 cat5 cable and wrap it around another one.
    good idea i think and that equals 24awg cable for less money.

I have 2 Bose 301's now i got a deal on them back 2 yrs ago for €310, but in my opinion they are worth it, the sound is excellent from them, but then again it depends on the amp driving them also.

Sparky-s wrote:
    but doesnt that guide explain that you have to get more than 1 cat5 cable and wrap it around another one.
    good idea i think and that equals 24awg cable for less money.

I have 2 Bose 301's now i got a deal on them back 2 yrs ago for €310, but in my opinion they are worth it, the sound is excellent from them, but then again it depends on the amp driving them also.
    Yes - that guide does explain that - it also explains that you have to plat them etc. Lots of people like to be babyfed the info - so if I'd said "get 6 runs of cat5 cable and plat them", it wouldnt have made sense :)

What did you compare the Bose stuff to?
    I heard what was supposedly €2000's worth of Bose speakers last year and I must say I was dreadfully disapointed. The sound was worse then my old €500 B&W 602's by quite a bit.
    Obviously your amp makes a difference though - whatcha got?

• Advertisement

commited wrote:
    Yes - that guide does explain that - it also explains that you have to plat them etc. Lots of people like to be babyfed the info - so if I'd said "get 6 runs of cat5 cable and plat them", it wouldnt have made sense :)

What did you compare the Bose stuff to?
    I heard what was supposedly €2000's worth of Bose speakers last year and I must say I was dreadfully disapointed. The sound was worse then my old €500 B&W 602's by quite a bit.
    Obviously your amp makes a difference though - whatcha got?

a sony tafe-570 it has been discontinued now afaik, bought it must be 2 years ago. some Bose packages are dreadfull for the price i agree.
    But the B&W speakers are a work of art ar'nt they :D, lovely speakers.
    I dont have a pair now myself but ive heard them in the flesh.

But my bose 301's are big bookshelf speakers i have them on brackets in my room, it gives a good surround sound from the speakers due to tweaters at the rear of the speaker also.
    http://www.bose.ie/home_audio/music_speakers/301/

I just sold my B&W's and all my Arcam stuff :(

We have 2 other pairs of B&W speakers in the house - much higher end than I can afford though. They are a fantastic brand of speaker :)

What other stuff did you demo when you were buying your kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thats great info lads,mucho appreciation.

Just checked the reciever,8 ohm impedence with 70watts.It also says 70watt on each of the speakers.Does this mean each speaker is 70 watt or is it just speaking for the reciever?I don't wanna end up buying speakers that the reciever can't take.

They're just power handling ratings on the speakers - they dont matter much. They'll be fine.

Advertisement