Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Concentrate or Not From Concentrate

• 15-01-2006 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Just wondering which is better, fruit juices (i.e OJ) made from Concentrate or not From Concentrate?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Unless is freshly squeezed its all sh*te IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is... (never thought about it, tbh).. maybe it's something small, like a certain mineral in one that's not in the other...? I don't know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You can't beat freshly squeezed OJ but it takes approx 20 oranages to produce a litre so it's costly.

Rule of thumb - Freshly squeezed OJ with Stolichnoya - Concentrate with LIDL Rotgut :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

fresh pinapple juice in marks and spencers. tastes like a real pineapple without the stringy bits, costs and arm and a leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Concentrate means they remove the water from it, and then later add water to it.
    It's not nearly as nice as non concentrated orange juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

xzanti wrote:
    Unless is freshly squeezed its all sh*te IMO

Very succinctly put!! (agree btw).

Try and get squeezed freshly (not just pure non concentrated), pasteurized means its been heated to bejaysus to kill any germs (longer shelf life) however it also removes much of the goodness in doing so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Thanks for the replies. Always wondered. When you are doing the shopping and are try to choose your juice, I am always torn between the two. I agree with Blisterman that the non concentrated stuff is much nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Look at it this way - freshly squeezed juice is always stored in cartons/bottles in the refrigerator. Concentrated juice is stored in cartons out in the supermarket aisles and has a shelf-life of a loooong time.

The less that's done to a naturally occurring food stuff before you eat it, the better it tends to be for you (the exceptions being things like kidney beans and other interesting legumes that need to be boiled for some time before eating).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it's mad the different kinds of just OJ alone there is on supermarket shelves! It's also maddening to see ones that proclaim to be fresh, but still have "Made from concentrate" in smaller lettering at the bottom.

Last Saturday I opted for Tesco Finest Orange Juice from the fridge. It was over €3 for the litre bottle! But damn, it tasted good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tree wrote:
    fresh pinapple juice in marks and spencers. tastes like a real pineapple without the stringy bits, costs and arm and a leg
    It is my favourtie drink. They have 2 types, a pressed juice (not from concentrate) in a carton with a dash of lime (or lemon maybe), it costs about €3 or €4 a litre but well worth it. They have an even better one squeezed within 48hrs in a 500ml bottle, I think €3, expensive, but think about it, it is cheaper than a pint of crap beer.

Some of the pressed apple juices are lovely, nothing like "from concentrate" it tastes like you are biting into an apple, all acidy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Innocent smoothies are gorgeous. They're a bunch of different fruits squished into a tiny little bottle. I love them and they have no ingredients other than fresh fruit, not from concentrate. I started having them almost every day at college. A little bit pricier than normal juice but so worth it.

Advertisement