Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Problem

• 15-01-2006 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I recently got my hands on a wireless modem. I can get it to work with my Xbox 360 no problem. Just plug it in and away it goes.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere when I plug it into my PC. I've followed all the instructions (which are pretty much just "Turn on modem-Wait for signal-Plug into pc-Turn on pc"). But I'm just not getting anywhere. Can't get any webpages, can't ping any sites, no msn etc. Tech support didn't get back to me. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sillysquid wrote:
    I recently got my hands on a wireless modem. I can get it to work with my Xbox 360 no problem. Just plug it in and away it goes.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere when I plug it into my PC. I've followed all the instructions (which are pretty much just "Turn on modem-Wait for signal-Plug into pc-Turn on pc"). But I'm just not getting anywhere. Can't get any webpages, can't ping any sites, no msn etc. Tech support didn't get back to me. Any ideas?

With all such questions it helps to know:

Your isp?
    modem brand and model number?
    what exactly have you tried so far eg settings etc etc?
    is the dsl signal lighting?
    have your previously connected with a modem on your line?
    if so can you connect now with the old modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sillysquid

It's one of those Clearwire wireless modems (!!!).

According to the instructions it's literally plug in and away you go. The instructions are really brief and the site doesn't have any extra tech. info, so it's rather frustrating, especially as the Xbox works fine with it. If anything, I was expecting the PC end to work fine and the Xbox to give me the probs to be honest.

I'm getting all lights lit on the modem, so that doesn't seem to be the prob. I usually connect to the net via the network in my building here, so I know my network card is fine, as I'm using that connection right now. I've tried removing all other connections within XP to see if that would make any dif, but no joy. Sorry for not having anymore info, but the documentation that comes with the modem is pretty much "Follow these four steps". I don't even know if I'm supposed to get a particular icon on my task bar or what. It pretty much says "plug it in and open your browser!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Most likely the PC is still trying to use an IP address that it was assigned by the other network you normally connect to.
    Go to Start->Control Panel->Network connections.
    Right click on your network connection and select "Properties".
    Double click on "Internet Protocol TCP\IP".
    Make sure "Obtain IP address automatically" is selected.
    Also remove any other IP details you find there (Default Gateway etc.)

Thanks for the help, but that hasn't sorted it I'm afraid. Was already set to obtain IP address automatically.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Are you running any firewall software like Zonealarm or Norton Internet Security? If so disable them temporarily

• Advertisement

Sorry should have said I already tried turning firewall off. That didn't help! Sounds like I'm up sh*t creak? So much for plug and play!

Advertisement