Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Form Respones from a web site

Options
  • 15-01-2006 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

if this is in the wrong forum mods please feel free to move it

Where do i start, i am a secretary for a regatta committee and we have a website set up but i would like to recive entrys from a form online, whats the easiest way of doing this, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

B U M P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

there are quite a few different ways, including email, serverside scripting etc.

heres a rather rushed example for you:

filename: form.htm
    [HTML]
    <form action="formaction.php" method="post">

<input type="text" name="firstname" value="your first name here" />
    <input type="text" name="lastname" value="your last name here" />
    <input type="text" name="message" value="your message here" />

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit" />

<p>when you click submit, the variables $firstname , $lastname and $message will be past to the server-side script page "formaction.php", from there you can choose what to do with the data</p>

</form>[/HTML]

filename: formaction.php
    [PHP]
    <?php

echo "<p>you have just submitted a form, congrats</p>";
    echo "<p><a href="./">click here to go back to the hompage</a></p>";

?>[/PHP]

now, if you want a more detailed answer -- how do you want to store the data? as a plain text file on the server, sent as an email, placed in a database (such as mySQL, MSSQL, postgreSQL etc.) or something else?

edit: of course, as usual you could go learn to do this yourself, but I have a feeling you wont be inclined to do so, nor have the time to learn both serverside scripting and clientside. but just in the outside chance that you do, www.w3schools.com has just about everything you need, if you want to trawl through all their tutorials.

sent as an e-mail to my address so i can print them off easely or anybody can

what sort of input are you taking? you say you want to take "entrys" but thats rather vague -- please elaborate, and I'll mock up an example for ye'.

i have the form done but i cant get it to forward results to my e-mail here is the form, and i want to send the results to galwayregatta@gmail.com

• Advertisement

okay two options from this point really, you can make the person submitting the form send the email manually -- or semi-manually:

<form method="POST" action="_derived/nortbots.htm"

changes to:

<form method="POST" action="mailto:galwayregatta@gmail.com"

this opens the users email client, they have to click send. Other than that you have to use serverside scripting, I'm more familiar with PHP but have previous experience with ASP, so I can probably give that a go. You'd have to check which your web host provider supports also.

on second thought, ignore that -- youve got a lot of javascript stuff in here, I'll have to check before I can say anything definitely.

hmm...

edit: I'll check this out tommorrow 5am is too late for having to sift through proprietary code and obscure javascript.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Your webhost should have a script ready to go for this purpose. Most decent web hosts have a control panel where you can choose to install the script (which accepts your form inputs and emails them to an configured address. Mayve if you let us know the host, you might be able to get help for an easier solution (although it would be similar to mikegannon's above)

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If your host does not an email form you can use Bravenet email forms. It is a free service, advertising sponsored. Might work for you. I would guess that it has form validation.

Advertisement