Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some (.ie) advice!

• 15-01-2006 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey,
    Im Kinda confused about how to register a (.ie) domain, have looked at many threads but am still confused!
    I Want to register a small, non-business/profit, website.
    Main function is for a specific type of job noticeboard.

Can this be done without buying domainspace/month etc
    (Because its not a business, just personal board)

I don't want to spend any money for hosting, just to create my own personal .ie website!

Any help/advice please?
    Kimi :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

You can purchase a .ie without hosting if you want. That's no problem. Although you do realise you will need hosting, even if its for a personal website :) .
    Anyway, you'll need to show the IEDR proof that you are entitled to a .ie domain because they don't hand them out so easily. Not like .com's anyway.

There's a certain list of organisations which can purchase a .ie. You'll need to search the IEDR site to find out if your 'project' fits the list. Otherwise you'll have to go .com or .org or something else.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

Registering a .ie is a little complicated alright.

However if you visit letshost.ie, they have a phone number you can give them a ring, they are very helpful.

or you can see the full info about registering IE domains here

http://www.letshost.ie/The_News/Latest_News/Irish_.ie_Domain_name_registration_policy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Crazythrasher

Thanks for th
    But where is the best no-advertising (freewebspace) site to build a free website, e.g.tripod except its theres too much advertising there!
    Any Suggestions?
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

Try Google Base. I haven't really looked at it myself so I don't know if it will suit your needs. And its Google so there will be advertising!

A proper website doesn't need to cost the earth.

Website registration -
    Hosting $36/yr - Have no personal experience but they said they could host .ie domain addresses - http://webhostingbuzz.com/

.ie Domain registration - €35/yr from letshost.ie (.com is only $9/yr from http://goDaddy.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Novara.ie

Hey,
    Im Kinda confused about how to register a (.ie) domain, have looked at many threads but am still confused!
    I Want to register a small, non-business/profit, website.
    Main function is for a specific type of job noticeboard.

Can this be done without buying domainspace/month etc
    (Because its not a business, just personal board)

I don't want to spend any money for hosting, just to create my own personal .ie website!

Any help/advice please?
    Kimi :p

Yeah as the lads mentioned above, to register a .ie you will need to show a claim/connection to the domain name. Normally you have businesses registering domains and providing a fax on headed paper or a RBN number.

You don't need hosting to get a .ie but you do need nameservers that are correctly setup for the domain as the IEDR will not accept a domain unless it passes its nameserver test. Normally whoever you buy a domain name from will supply you their DNS until whenever you want to change them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement