Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The first song you would play (or have played) to your new-born...

Options
  • 15-01-2006 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic I (think) I heard someone talking about on the radio earlier, a little more upbeat than the usual "What song would you like played at your funeral?"

For me it might be the Gary Jules version of Mad World, a nice tune with a touch of contemporary relevance. Otherwise it might be Everybody Here Wants You by Jeff Buckley.

Please no 'Cannibal Corpse' type replies, they just aren't funny! Unless you are actually serious...

I'd love to know what the first song I ever heard was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Baby I Love You performed by The Ramones. Also good for in utero....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Probably a kid's worship song like "Jesus Loves Me" or something like that.. one of the first songs I ever learned as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭twentycentshift

"isn't she lovely" by stevie wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

My ma used to always sing to me "Never gonna let you go" -so maybe I'd carry on the tradition :)

I like to sing to my baby cousins "Let there be peace on earth" or the Hail Mary.. then theres "Dreaming Tree" by dmb, its kinda haunting, but they seem to like it :)
    I'm sure there are hundreds, but those seem to be the ones in the running right now! and I have some time to think about it..

Oh, and of course with a dose of Mozart, Bach and the Wiggles!! hehe

at my funeral.. thats kinda down.. but I'd want an uplifting song about living.. something like "pig" or "you never know" from dmb.. both about how we're all gonna die, so we shouldn't worry and enjoy life while we're living. I wouldn't want people crying at my funeral, but instead celebrating the life we've lived together. It seems like a nice thought anyway doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its clearly Don't Fear The Reaper by BOC!

It would cetainly not be 'Is'nt She Lovely?' as I'd barf!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Definitely 'All across the Universe' by The Beatles followed something bouncy like 'Get it on' by T.Rex (then something contemporary)
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    For me it might be the Gary Jules version of Mad World
    ...seems a bit depressing, telling a new born what a crap place the world is, it's got to be something possitive and let them decide through experience if the world is ****....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

It would have to be the most appropriate i.e. "Happy Birthday" !!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweety4uall

dont pay the ferryman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The FA cup song from a few years back.

"Glory Glory Man Utd".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Alanis Morrisette - Uninvited:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd write and perform something especially for the occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

My Generation by the Who

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'll just continue with the strict regime of classical music I'll have started while it's still in the womb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Rise Above by Black Flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

Taste's same old story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

oasis - live forever :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Elbow - Newborn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Barbie girl - if he/she can put up with that, they can put up with anything in life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

DJ Shadow, Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt.

If he doesn't like it, then he's no son of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

You're Gorgeous by Babybird. I'm a big softie at heart really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

has to be (for a girl) Prince's "the most beautiful girl in the world"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Riff-Raff by AC/DC. Might be appropriate in later years!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

I have a friend who played Pachelbel's Canon (or Kanon) to his baby girl when she was still inside his wife.

I was amazed to see how his baby reacted to it when she was born. She would stop crying INSTANTLY the second he turned it on, almost as if she wanted to listen to her favourite tune.

Remarkable stuff. It's like having a "stop crying" switch. Has to be seen to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

You're Gorgeous by Babybird. I'm a big softie at heart really!

I love that song so much. Got his best of. He was brilliant. Really cool songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Probably be Smiths - how soon is now or Stone roses - i wanna be adored.

Give the child apreciation that real music involves instruments and guitars, not little pretty girls who mime and get billions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Give the child apreciation that real music involves instruments and guitars,

I hope guitars become instruments some day... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

One thing you shouldn't play around your kid is songs that have lyrics you wouldn't want to hear repeated. My dad used to listen to Finnish rock when I was a toddler and he was listening to this song and I was sitting in the back of the car. The chorus went "kahvii ja tupakkaa" which basically means coffee and tobacco. I just started singing along. My dad thought it was hilarious but my mum was just in shock. Same thing when my dad and his friend we're takin me and this girl I've known all my life somewhere and they were listening to this song that went "juodaan viinaa, tullaan viisaimmiksi vain" which means let's drink booze, we'll become wiser and of course these two little toddlers in the back start singing along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Would probably be one of the following if/when:

Schubert: Ave Maria
    Myers: Cavatina (theme from the Deer Hunter)
    Pachelbel: Canon in D major
    Mozart: Fur Elise (Bagatelle in A minor)
    Mozart: 'Romance', Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
    Mozart: Overture to the 'Marriage of Figaro'
    Mozart: The magic flute
    Telemann: movements III & IV; Viola Concerto in G major
    Js. Bach: Cello Suites
    Grieg: The Peer Gynt Suite

And of course, Strauss: The Blue Danube waltz for in the womb, echoing 2001: A Space Oddessy

I'm not so sure about Mozart's Molto Allegro from Symphony No.40 because it's a fairly sinister, ableit utterly astounding, piece of music.

I'd wait to start introducing the rock music until the kid was a little older. I'd be making sure he/she (they??) had a musical education that wasn't just limited to listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Nick Cave - Into My Arms!!!
    There is no more reassuring song that let's them know that even if there is no god or gaurdian angels they still got you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Ace of Spades by Motorhead

rock on little dude

Advertisement