Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie to Spend Big In The summer

• 15-01-2006 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Fergie to spend big in the summer?
    SIR ALEX FERGUSON will receive the full backing of the Glazers in his bid to rebuild Manchester United.

The new owners have already shown their support by splashing out £12million on defenders Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic.

But chief executive David Gill revealed the club will make two more major signings this summer — and Fergie will be the man who makes them.

Gill said: "You don't spend the type of money we have on two new players when you are not supporting your manager.

"Everyone associated with the club understands that success on the pitch drives everything.

"The Glazer family are very interested and supportive of what we are doing.

"They have said all along there would be money for players and have demonstrated that with these signings.

"We will also be making one or two very big signings in the summer.

"The players we want are playing in the Champions League so we will have to wait."

I understand the Glazers met with Ferguson and Gill recently to discuss United's problems after their shock Champions League exit.

They demanded to know whether Fergie was still up for the job. He assured them he was and he revealed he has no plans to retire.

The Glazers have already spent £17.5m since taking over and will now hand Fergie at least another £20m in the summer.

But Gill dismissed talk of a move for Real Madrid's Thomas Gravesen.

He insisted Ferguson was happy to continue with Alan Smith, Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea and Paul Scholes in midfield.

Gill said: "We are not interested in Gravesen. We have Vidic and Evra now but, as Alex says, it is clear we need to strengthen midfield."

Gill insisted there was plenty of money left, even after the recent signings.

He added: "We've not spent all of this year's transfer budget.

"Maybe people did not think we had money after the takeover. We will see what happens this summer but there's cash to spend."

Source http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport4.shtml

It looks like Fergie is going to be there for quite a while yet. Managers in danger of being sacked do not get that type of money to spend. It sounds like Fergie has two specific players in mind. Interesting times ahead.

I was very sceptical when the Glaziers took over but up to now none of the scare stories that were around during their take over have come to fruition. In fact Fergies has said that they have given him 100% support.

He has also said he has found it easier to sign Players with the club in private hands than when it was a PLC. He maintains that as a PLC transfers were drawn out giving other clubs the chance to Jump in.
    Fergie wrote:
    "when the club was a PLC you had to go through certain procedures to sign players. you had to firstly go to the clubs board, then the Plc Board, then the stock exchange and all that nonsense. Now you dont have to bother with all that nonsense. If you want to do something David Gill just picks up the phone to the Glaziers and we get an answer. From my perspective they have supported me 100%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by The Muppet
    He has also said he has found it easier to sign Players with the club in private hands than when it was a PLC. He maintains that as a PLC transfers were drawn out giving other clubs the chance to Jump in.

Looks like you were right in your comments a while back that you were lambasted on here for. I seem to remember you saying that United would have it easier to make signings now but alot of people disagreeing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lemlin wrote:
    Looks like you were right in your comments a while back that you were lambasted on here for. I seem to remember you saying that United would have it easier to make signings now but alot of people disagreeing.

I remember that myself. Looks Fergie himself has proved you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's not exactly revolutionary, Fergie has stated it countless times before :)

It's good to see this, although I really wanted a young midfielder talent brought in this January. The two experienced players is great to be getting at christmas time, but I wanted a young kid to come in now, and get better for 6 months, and then next year, be able to play aswell. Although I'm fairly sure David Jones will do that.

So I think we should start the rumour mill. We can confirm that they are playing in the CL, and they are going to be primarily a central midfielder(although that wasn't stated, I doubt many will disagree)
    Let's look at the list :)
    Ajax:
    Galasek
    de Jong
    Sneijder
    Lindenbergh

Arsenal:
    Fabregas
    Gilberto
    Flamini
    New guy

Barca:
    Motta
    Xavi
    Van Bommel
    Ineista
    Deco
    Ronaldinho

Bayern:
    Deisler
    Hargreaves
    Ballack
    Ze Roberto

Benfica:
    Beto
    Fernandes
    Karaquounis

Bremen:
    Vranjes
    Frings
    Borowski
    Micoud
    Ernst
    Poulson

Chelsea:
    Makelele
    Essien
    Lampard

Inter:
    Veron
    Pizarro
    Cambiasso
    Stankovic

Milan:
    Seedorf
    Kaka
    Gattuso
    Serginho
    Pirlo
    Rui Costa

PSV:
    Cocu
    Simons

Liverpool:
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Hamann
    Sissisko

Lyon:
    Pedretti
    Tiago
    Juninho

Juve:
    Vieira
    Emerson
    Blasi
    Giannichedda
    Nedved

Rangers:
    Ricksen
    Ferguson

Villarael:
    Josico
    Senna
    Cazorla
    Riquelme

Edit, my memory ain't what it used to be. I left out Ronaldinho in my first draft :)

So I figure, ruling oldies who are unlikely to move, people who are utterly ****, and people from Arsenal Chelsea and Liverpool :) and Rangers of course, we have the following list:

Galasek
    de Jong*
    Sneijder*
    Lindenbergh*
    Motta
    Xavi
    Van Bommel*
    Ineista*
    Deco
    Deisler*
    Hargreaves*
    Ballack
    Ze Roberto
    Beto*
    Fernandes*
    Karaquounis*
    Vranjes*
    Frings*
    Borowski*
    Micoud*
    Ernst*
    Poulson*
    Veron
    Pizarro
    Cambiasso
    Stankovic
    Kaka
    Gattuso*
    Serginho*
    Pirlo
    Cocu*
    Simons*
    Pedretti*
    Tiago
    Juninho*
    Vieira*
    Emerson
    Blasi*
    Giannichedda*
    Josico*
    Senna*
    Cazorla*
    Riquelme *

a star beside any of them i think at all possible
    hmmmm....
    if we all guess one player, and just state, X will join, two of us will be right :P

btw, my guesses are:
    De Jong and Diarra
    who are more somewhat proven prospects than big experienced signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PHB, Im suprised you left out Ernst and Poulsen from Bremen and Schalke respectively.

Both are CMs and both have CL experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

"They have said all along there would be money for players and have demonstrated that with these signings.

"The players we want are playing in the Champions League so we will have to wait."
    "Very big"?? not since we have bought Veron & Van Nistleroy (Besides Rooney) have we made what I would classify as big. We two new midfielders
    a defensive one and an attacking ( Lampard and MAkelale -like)

Also one game into his debut and teams know how to get at Evra!! disaster!!!

Attacking? thought it was Paul Parker goingt forward at one stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Excellent news for everyone else, if anything is going to continue ManU's downward spiral its Alex and his purchases :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well for a start you can take out Gattuso, Cocu and Veira

Fergie staying at Manu s good for everyone else.
    The man is finished and will win nothing besides maybe the odd Carling/FA cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The supply of funds in this window, with the promise of more in the Summer, is as definitive of an indication as you are going to get that the Glazier's will be backing Ferguson.

But as has been the case for a few years, a proven quality and experienced CM is required, not the next "hottest property" kid doing the rounds.

I figure Cocu is right to take out, the other two I'm not so sure.
    Gattuso if Milan get a big money bid might come, although I doubt it. But the * is a represenation of any possibility :)
    Vieira has been linked to United previously, and is alledgedly unhappy in Italy, or more accurately his wife apparently is. I doubt it will happen either.
    Fergie staying at Manu s good for everyone else.
    The man is finished and will win nothing besides maybe the odd Carling/FA cup

Compared to Arsenal and Liverpool who are going to destory Chelseas dominance :) Come on man, lets show some level of respect to the most decorated manager in englands history.
    one or two very big signings
    Thats pretty heafty talk though, very big is an unusual phrase for United

I would spend the money on two(defensive and attacking)from

Tiago( to piss chelsea off & very underated) ,
    Riquelme ( unlikely),
    de Jong ( very likely-though doesnt play for PSV!)
    & Gattuso ( unlikely-age )

Also this age thing is b####x! remember when Gary Mc Callister joined Liverpool!

Also davids would have been a good short term thing before spurs had got him

And if we stick with Flecther in Midfield we will be battling with spurs for 4th spot in years to come!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

one player i would love to see at united is Juan Román Riquelme
    such a class act
    so good on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

spending lots of money in an attempt to beat chelsea is like pissing into the wind

when the good times are over, they're over - man uniteds good times...are over

champions league football next year for man u or any team appart from chelsea is not exactly a given for next year. so its still early days for making plans to sign the best new players imo

Gill said it! or should I say was "quoted" as saying it!

News of the world of course..next Sunday they will probably be saying Ronaldo and Rooney are off to Barca and Ronaldino to chelsea!!!!
    Sunday papers!!!

"The people" said Manu were bringing viera back to england and then last week they said d gunners were!!!

champions league football next year for man u or any team appart from chelsea is not exactly a given for next year. so its still early days for making plans to sign the best new players imo

Well we are looking to sign the best new players to reclaim our old spot as the best team in england!! If we take your line of thinking then we will be signing players like sean davis every year to stay in 3-5th spot!!

Newcastle havent been anywhere near the champions leage in the last 2 seasons yet they buy a quality striker in Owen and midfielders in Scott PArker and Emre. They feel as a club that they should be challenging the top 4 and target top 4 material players and Manu are in the same mindframe.

Even if we finish 5th this season we still need a quality midfielder or we will never win the leage in the next 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I would like to see Fergie step down now. Give big Sam the job

Well we are looking to sign the best new players to reclaim our old spot as the best team in england!! If we take your line of thinking then we will be signing players like sean davis every year to stay in 3-5th spot!!

i think u missed my point there mate

top players like to play in the biggest competitions, the champions league is the biggest competition. so, if no man u in big competition, then no big player in man u.

now if u want to compare man u with newcastle, then feel free to drag man u down to that level.

personally i think newcastle and their fans are more dilluded about their team than spurs fans so i wouldnt be associating my team with that bunch :)

top players will always wasnt to join united, but if they happen to be out of the champions league and are in competition with barca for a player, then 9 times out of 10 i reckon the player would be off to spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

el rabitos wrote:
    spending lots of money in an attempt to beat chelsea is like pissing into the wind

Is that in the same way as Chelsea spending lots of money to ovetake Man United/Arsenal was like pissing into the wind.

I totally agree there is more to it than just spending lots of money on players but it will be very difficult if not impossible to overtake Chelsea who have raised the bar in all aspects of the game including investing in the best talent available. I fear the days of winning the league on the cheap with mostly home grown talent is gone for now anyway.

I compared Manutd to newcatle for the following reasons you troll:

1)cause your putting them in the same boat by questioning their ability to qualify for the champions leage

2) they have signed some good players namely Micheal Owen ( liverpools two faced supporters booed him) emre and parker( chelsea wouldnt have sold him to MAn u/pool or arsenal-fact!)

3) if they dont go out and buy a couple of quality players ( they need one world class midfielder and another very good one) in the next 6 months they will quickly become a fouth place team as liverpool were unitl recently and a newcastle if their debt is as crippling as shareholders united forsee.

And what amazes me is until liverpool beat Juve and went on to win the european cup they were way behind the top 3 in the leage (finished 5th)..and now their supporters are standing peter crounch tall and think they can challenge chelsea.....well if they can turn around their fortunes so quickly ..MAn utd or Arsenal can do

champions league football next year for man u or any team appart from chelsea is not exactly a given for next year.
    1)cause your putting them in the same boat by questioning their ability to qualify for the champions leage

i questioned any team taken it as a given they will be in the champions league, not just man u. read my post before u start crying
    2) they have signed some good players namely Micheal Owen ( liverpools two faced supporters booed him) emre and parker( chelsea wouldnt have sold him to MAn u/pool or arsenal-fact!)

if you think newcastle was where michael owen wanted to be then go ahead and think that, given his option of staying in madrid doing very little or getting his game every week then i think he made the only choice available to him.

unless u were talking to rick parry or rafa benitez, i dont think u have a clue what jose mourinho's transfer policy was with scott parker.
    3) if they dont go out and buy a couple of quality players ( they need one world class midfielder and another very good one) in the next 6 months they will quickly become a fouth place team as liverpool were unitl recently and a newcastle if their debt is as crippling as shareholders united forsee.

:) liverpool maintained a top 4 position when their reign at the top ended, lets see how united fair ;)
    And what amazes me is until liverpool beat Juve and went on to win the european cup they were way behind the top 3 in the leage (finished 5th)..and now their supporters are standing peter crounch tall and think they can challenge chelsea.....well if they can turn around their fortunes so quickly ..MAn utd or Arsenal can do

u make it sound very simplistic, liverpool had players and a manager more accustomed to the european style of football, thats why they won the thing.

whats wrong with man united's team is not something that will "turn around"

o'shea and fletcher in midfield will NOT win you a premiership or champions league, alosno and gerrard in midfield probably will, and has.

liverpool maintained a top 4 position when their reign at the top ended, lets see how united fair

finishing 4th place from 1993-2003 meant sweet f all (only now when you finish 4th {or should I say finish 5th and kick up a fuss about it] can you qualify for the Champions leage-bigger than winning any domestic cup competition)

everton should have by finshing 4th got an easier draw in the qualifying stages with Liverpool facing Villareal..fares fare

He left (owen) cause they were going nowhere..winning the european cup was na absurd thought ( ask paddypower for their odds that season)..yet within one year their one of the "best" sides in europe.

quick turnaround..and if you think manutd are going down the same route as d pool in the 1990's ...two problems with your theory....no souness and a cetain rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Since when is 20 million on 2 players a big deal? Don't get me wrong, United are in dire need or two quality central midfielders so it will benefit them no end.. To be honest, I am still baffled that Ferguson didn't try to sign Scott Parker. For me, he is a massive talent and exactly what United needed..

What will 20 million get you these days? Will it get you two central midfielders that are quality enough for United? I personally don't think so..

TonyD79 wrote:
    quick turnaround..and if you think manutd are going down the same route as d pool in the 1990's ...two problems with your theory....no souness and a cetain rooney

I purposely avoided throwing in Liverpool but sure...

Souness was a disaster, yes.. Your asistant manager seems to be just as accomplished!!

As for Rooney.. We had Fowler.. At the time, boy Fowler was generating as many headlines as boy Rooney - both on and off the pitch.. Now look at him.. Don't be so confident that it all can't go tits up fairly quickly..

As it stands, United are on a slow descent.. They are not the top club anymore and it will take a sight more than 20 million to restore that accolade for the next few years.. United are still the 2nd best club in England but this is under threat. Only for Arsenal having a poor start, United for be 3rd.. Liverpool are now snapping at their heals again..

For many years Liverpool were the best club.. Then the second best club, then the third and now the fourth best club.. Only took 10 years and we spent near 200 million in the process..

Liverpool did not replace the players they lost through age. This was the main cause of their slide..

Do you think United can get decent replacements for Scholes, Keane, Nevill, Giggs etc in this current environment?? I don't..

The same thing happened with Arsenal when the liks or Dixon, Winterbrun, Bold, Adams etc were coming to the end.. It took them a few years to recover from it and it basiclaly required a complete overhaul and lots of cheap talent from Wenger's come country..

hmm....right. dont think i can even argue with that, but if u think 1 player will save united then lets see :)

One player? and you can hardly compare fowler to rooney...fowler was just a goalscorer rooney is potentially so much more...and as for united relying on one player..they only need one great midfielder ..you seem to forget how gerrard has carried liverpool almost single handly for the past three years

One world class midfielder and United would be back on track(problem is finding him). although they would need some good support ..better than fletcher, oshea and smith alongside him and scholes. defencively once heinze is back and if Vidic is of top notch then all we need is a new central midfielder.

And as for one player? take gerrard out of the liverpool team last season or keane out of the manu 99 winning team then neither would have been going to japan the following autumn to play the south american champions!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

"Fergie to Spend Big In The summer"

I'll bet he is. Being retired he'll be out looking for a nice big telly to watch the world cup.

I'll get me coat.

How much is a decent midfielder like Gerard? Is in or around 20 million enough?

They badly need a decent holding player with a good range of passing.. They need a good goal scoring midfielder to replace the ageing Scholes.. They need to replace Giggs.. Shall I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

How can someone come out in January and say that Alex Ferguson is going to spend big in the summer? This is impossible to know for a few reasons.
    • United been out of Europe so early this means a huge loss of revenue that has to be made up from somewhere else?
    • He has been given quiet a few pound during the January window, to spend to improve the squad this i think is the last of his funds until the current owners see some benefits from their money!
    • There is no sure thing that united will qualify for the champions league this time around either! This would mean a incredible loss of money and can you really see the owners wanting to spend millions and million on players for the sake of the uefa cup the answer is no, also what TOP class players are going to join Man united If they fail to reach the champions league?

Taking all this into consideration, no one knows if the Glazers are going to pump more money into Alex wallet for more additions until they finish out this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think United fans are failing to make the difference between solid signings and quality signings. In recent years, only Rooney and Heinze are players that I would consider title winners. The rest range from solid to downright awful.

First off,
    How can someone come out in January and say that Alex Ferguson is going to spend big in the summer? This is impossible to know for a few reasons.

David Gill, manager director of Man Utd, the chairman, the guy in running the football club, said the following,
    * United been out of Europe so early this means a huge loss of revenue that has to be made up from somewhere else?

Yes, but they have already been given 12 million. If that was the case, why given 12 million. If Fergie only had 12 million to spend, you think he'd spend it on just defenders.
    * He has been given quiet a few pound during the January window, to spend to improve the squad this i think is the last of his funds until the current owners see some benefits from their money!

One has played 45 minutes so far.....
    The other two signings Fergie has made under the Glaziers have been great successes, VDS and Park.
    * There is no sure thing that united will qualify for the champions league this time around either! This would mean a incredible loss of money and can you really see the owners wanting to spend millions and million on players for the sake of the uefa cup the answer is no, also what TOP class players are going to join Man united If they fail to reach the champions league?

Man Utd, second in the league, 8 points ahead of the CL chasers, and on not particuarly bad form. 12 games, 3 draws, 1 loss, 8 wins. Looks to me like CL qualification form.

----
    How much is a decent midfielder like Gerard? Is in or around 20 million enough?

They badly need a decent holding player with a good range of passing.. They need a good goal scoring midfielder to replace the ageing Scholes.. They need to replace Giggs.. Shall I go on?

They do need to replace the Keano-Scholes combination, to effectivlty do that I'd say will cost about 35 million sterling.
    Giggs I don't think needs to be replaced for a while yet, as we have Ronaldo/Park/Giggs/Ole/Richardson/Evra competing for wing places.

p.s.
    Just saw a very funny post on a diff united forum
    Current United Summed Up....

in one incident last night...

Second half, United going for the winner. Sublime skill from Rooney - he tricks his way into the box, beats 2 men and gets to the by-line. He waits, looks up. The United end bouncing in anticipation. He waits, the Blackburn defenders close in. The crowd roars in excitement as he plays the ball back to the edge of the box....

Fletcher and Smith watch from the halfway line.

• Advertisement

Sarge wrote:
    How can someone come out in January and say that Alex Ferguson is going to spend big in the summer? This is impossible to know for a few reasons.....................................
    I'm sure all clubs plan for the future and the Chairman would be aware of such plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Why advertise that United are going to spend big? Seems to me that this will make clubs ask for more money - unless of course they've people lined up nearing the ends of their contracts...

Either way it'll make for for a Summer where pretty much everyone is linked to United, regardless of truth or likelihood. Every agent with a player looking for a new contract will suddenly be touting a move to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

RasTa wrote:
    I would like to see Fergie step down now. Give big Sam the job
    That is an absolutely disgustingly frightening thought.

p.pete wrote:
    Why advertise that United are going to spend big? Seems to me that this will make clubs ask for more money - unless of course they've people lined up nearing the ends of their contracts...

Good point..

PHB wrote:
    They do need to replace the Keano-Scholes combination, to effectivlty do that I'd say will cost about 35 million sterling.

Giggs I don't think needs to be replaced for a while yet, as we have Ronaldo/Park/Giggs/Ole/Richardson/Evra competing for wing places.

This pretty much backs up my point.. 20 million spread across two central midfielders is not going to get you much unless ye get lucky..

If anything, I really think Giggs needs to be replaced.. Look at Giggs's record when he was in his 20's and compare that to any of the players you mentioned.. None of them have come near to Giggs, They are on par with Giggs in his 30's but thats not exactly saying much now is it..

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt Ronaldo will improve and I rate Park highly.. But compare what they are doing to the likes of Robben, Duff, Pires etc etc..

IMO, United need 3 big players - 1 left winger and 2 central midfielders.. They need quality, not quantity.. At the moment, all they have is quantity... If United can get these players, they will at least compete with Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

el rabitos wrote:
    hmm....right. dont think i can even argue with that, but if u think 1 player will save united then lets see :)

When Rooney scores united don't lose. Enough said.

This pretty much backs up my point.. 20 million spread across two central midfielders is not going to get you much unless ye get lucky..

They've got at least 20 million to spend, so they'll most likely pay up for the right player. There is a market there for the price range they're looking at, you don't have to fork out 20 million+ for one player just because Chelsea do. I'd say at this stage, with the Chelsea team fully built and solid it won't take much convincing to talk a player around to coming to united. Do you want 1st team guaranteed or do you want to go to Chelsea where they put the talent of Robben and Crespo on the bench? Especially when you're talking about a central midfield player where he won't stand a chance of getting a regular spot with Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm shocked that MU havent bought a midfielder in January. Still time I suppose. Appreciate that their main targets are unavailable till the summer, but a couple of mill on a stop-gap would be money well spent.

Unless they're going to do a conversion job on Vidic - or Rio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

one player i would love to see at united is Juan Román Riquelme
    such a class act
    so good on the ball

It's been done before ......... Juan Sebastien Veron.

Gegerty wrote:

You do realise this is just a coincidence like all over of those type of "stats". ANother point to note is that he doesn't actually score all too often...

Gegerty wrote:
    They've got at least 20 million to spend, so they'll most likely pay up for the right player. There is a market there for the price range they're looking at, you don't have to fork out 20 million+ for one player just because Chelsea do. I'd say at this stage, with the Chelsea team fully built and solid it won't take much convincing to talk a player around to coming to united. Do you want 1st team guaranteed or do you want to go to Chelsea where they put the talent of Robben and Crespo on the bench? Especially when you're talking about a central midfield player where he won't stand a chance of getting a regular spot with Chelsea.

With all due respect, it wasn't Chelsea that broke every transfer record prior to Abramovic taking over.. How much was Veron, Rooney, Ferdinand, Ruud???

United will have to pay big money if they want a ready made central midfielder.. There is no other way about it unless they pull off a blinder.. Alonso is the perfect example, Livepool still paid 14 million for him even though Chelsea were not interested.

i totally agree, now given the amount of games he doesnt score in, the amount of loses i forsee in uniteds future should be about right :)

i'm joking, but your comment is stupid

You do realise this is just a coincidence like all over of those type of "stats". ANother point to note is that he doesn't actually score all too often...

Its no coincidence, when he's on form he scores goals and when he's on form united don't lose. 10 goals is only 3 off Henry and Rooney is on the same team as Ruud which makes it harder for him to score. He'd be scoring more if he was the main striker.

• Advertisement

How many games as he actually scored in though..

I am not disputing that Rooney is an amazing talent. United winning and Rooney scoring may be correlated but your statement is, eh, ......

United winning and Rooney scoring may be correlated but your statement is, eh, ......

My statement is that united winning and Rooney scoring can be correlated so you're actually agreeing with me, so eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Shame he didnt have his champions league shooting boots on, eh...

Liverpool never lose when Reina scores. Enough Said.

arrrr ehh ya soft divvie thatck mackes lots of sense cccckkkalm down cccckkkalm down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gegerty wrote:
    arrrr ehh ya soft divvie thatck mackes lots of sense cccckkkalm down cccckkkalm down

If you want to act like an immature tosser, please piss off to another forum.

i actually hope fergie gets plenty of cash, the more cash the bigger the shovel for digging the hole he's getting the club into :)

el rabitos wrote:
    i actually hope fergie gets plenty of cash, the more cash the bigger the shovel for digging the hole he's getting the club into :)

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Unless they're going to do a conversion job on Vidic - or Rio!
    [shudders] Don't even joke about that! Something nagging inside me tells me that Fergie's going to come up with this:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

el rabitos wrote:
    I don't think you can blame Fergie for the (financial) hole the club is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Could Fergie's signing be Diarra from Lyon?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=355572&cc=5739

Chelsea and Manchester United are on red alert following confirmation Mahamadou Diarra is hoping for a move to the Premiership next season.

Diarra has made an outstanding contribution to Lyon's rise to the top of the French league this term, as well as their smooth passage into the knockout phase of the Champions League.

But the 24-year-old is hoping to find a fresh challenge in the summer, his adviser Frederic Guerra admitting a move to Spain or Italy is a possibility.

However, it is the lure of England which attracts the Mali man most - and with Chelsea potentially looking for back-up to Claude Makelele and Manchester United ready to step up their interest after making an initial inquiry last summer, Guerra thinks a dream switch to the Premiership is most likely.

'The Premiership is, by far, his favourite league,' Guerra said.

'I can't confirm that he will play there next year, but he would like to.

'Mahamadou is the best defensive midfielder in Europe. We know that Chelsea are looking for a player to replace Claude Makelele, who is getting older.

'Last summer there was contact with Manchester United, and we also know that Manchester United are looking for a defensive midfielder to replace Roy Keane.

'Besides, Real Madrid haven't got a defensive midfielder. It would be logical for Mahamadou to play for one of those teams.'

While Sir Alex Ferguson is unlikely to confirm any interest in Diarra, at least until the summer, the player does fit the age profile of United's most recent signings.

Ferguson has already ruled out Thomas Gravesen and Michael Ballack because they are too old, yet it is known the Red Devils chief is looking for a midfield reinforcement following the recent arrivals of defensive duo Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement