Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simcity 2000

Options
  • 15-01-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Boy, what a game.
    I found it on a disc yesterday, installed it, and it works fine on windows XP. I hadn't played it in years, and I couldn't stop playing it.
    It's so much better than 3000 and 4000. I love playing games I haven't played in years. Like Monkey Island last year, which I'd forgotten most of what to do, so it was a whole new experience for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yeah Simcity2000 is class. It's small and easy to run. I remember playing it first thinking how sharp it looked compared to simcity original I had (amiga). In simcity2000 I loved the way the house would slowly fill in and soon you would have your first tall block. I guess what puts me off it sometimes is the way I needed to put a blue Police station almost religiously every 4 blocks aways such was the high density of my cities.... A nice spread out city is a nice experiment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Speaking of which, I just came across Interstate '76 and Terminal Velocity, HiOctane etc.

Anyway, anyone know if they'll work on XP or will I have to find an emulator or something?

Gem in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I've found that just about every Dos Game works under DosBox, a DOS emulator. Could try that. Just google it.

Yeah get Dosbox, works ideal - faster your cpu the better - so it won't be as jittery... go to the Vogon forums to get tips to get doxbox running fast and use a frontend tool like d-fend to store your particular setting for dos game. Make a folder for your "dos harddrice" and extract each dos game in there to it's own folder.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com

Get vdmsound to emulate the soundblaster 16 /awe whatever so you have your io/port addressed set. I'm going to try out tie fighter later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Spike wrote:
    Speaking of which, I just came across Interstate '76 and Terminal Velocity, HiOctane etc.

Anyway, anyone know if they'll work on XP or will I have to find an emulator or something?

Gem in advance.
    Interstate '76....what a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Wicked game alright. Got it with my PC back in 2000.

I thought 3000 was pretty cool too.

Sim City 4 was ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I remember the first time I played SimCity 2000 I was so used to the original that I started building residential, commercial and industrial blocks in nine by nine grids. I built roads around these, and a power plant of course, but my city just wouldn't take off. So I built a police and fire station thinking once these were in place my city would fill up. Still nothing: a little bit of activity but not much.

So I open the town charter and start ticking all the positive boxes. You know, an annual carnival, no smoking zones and a city beautification program. The population grew a little more, but year after year this city of mine was leaking money. I didn't know what I was doing wrong.

So I floated a bond and built a stadium and a zoo and a park and God knows what else, anything to make people come to my city. Then all of a sudden a box pops up to tell me that my denizens have erected a statue in my honour 'cos I was such a fun mayor.

Great game.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just started playing it myself again about a month ago when I had no broadband, Xbox 360, or Sky at home. It filed in the gap nicely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I unfortnately bought this online for the snes last year having had warm memories of the first one, oh dear, some things just don't translate well to consoles, although the original was fantastic on the Snes, really good, still out there too on the great and powerful ebay.
    As for Interstate '76, just thinking about that one the other day, that was super sweet, remember sinking a couple of weeks into that on the old 200mhz PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Oh wow Hi-Octane rocked so much. It was really my first ever deathmatch experience with the player versus player on the single screen. Amazing game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

HiOctane? Man that game was awful, the game engine was lifted straight from bullfrogs other big game Magic Carpet, a fantastic game with great magic effects, and shoehorned on a Wipeout wannabe racing game, crap framerate and sound, just couldn't compare with Wipeout on the PS1, I believe they were released around the same time.
    In fact aside from the Fzero titles the only game to do the whole future racing theme justice were rollcage on the PS1 and Powerdrome on the nextgen consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

So strange i was just thinking the other day id love to get interstate76 out and give it a go that was a really good game.

Ive sim city 2k on the gba class game even on a handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Try getting your hands on the original Railroad Tycoon.
    Hours and hours of brilliant fun!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wasted many an hour to Transport Tycoon and its Jazz music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

CJ Marren wrote:
    Anybody know if I could download Sim City 2000 off the web from anywhere?

Thanks!

Yes it is possible to do that but im sure your not asking for someone to provide a link that would get you a banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Kristok wrote:
    Yes it is possible to do that but im sure your not asking for someone to provide a link that would get you a banning.
    :eek: Oops, sorry about that. My mistake, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    HiOctane? Man that game was awful, the game engine was lifted straight from bullfrogs other big game Magic Carpet,

Can't agree, HiOctane was class. I remember a mate being in gateway when it was released and it was supposed to be a car racing game. however back then the over head on the cpu was too much to add wheels in so they took them off and made it a "hover" game!!!! How cheap is that?

I loved it though so in response to the other post. I found it a while back and ran it on xp. It runs only there are no speed inhibiters built in so on my 2.8gig pc a lap takes 1 second!!! Way too fast to play...

Remember "Fatal Racing" under the Voodoo cards? That was a fun racing game... loop the loops and all. You had to build up the speed to complete the loop. :D Wonder if that can be run at all these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Did anybody here ever try the PocketPC version of SimCity 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You can play the original Sim City for free on the internet on maxis's site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement