Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DNS Oddness

• 15-01-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

For the last two days, my Eircom DSL has been taking roughly four seconds to resolve names. I thought this might be a router issue, but the effect is the same using the dns servers directly. Anyone seeing something similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've been seeing it dropping pages every couple of times alright since maybe Thursday, but paid no real attention to it. Bit more of a pain today alright since I'm trying to work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rsynnott wrote:
    For the last two days, my Eircom DSL has been taking roughly four seconds to resolve names. I thought this might be a router issue, but the effect is the same using the dns servers directly. Anyone seeing something similar?
    It happens a lot to me, and seems to last for a few minutes, and then resolve (!!) itself. I've tried to get some support from Eircom on the matter, but it's impossibe to get past the front-line support monkeys and actually talk to someone knowledgeable about it. It was so bad at one time last year that I even installed a local DNS cacheing program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

You could use bt's dns as a secondary in your modem settings. Im with BT and I use Eircom's Dns as primary because they're updated more often than BT's. I have problems with them sometimes as described in above posts but I have BT's dns as a secondary so I bypass the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

rsynnott wrote:

I have the exact same problem, its starting to piss me off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

elvis2002 wrote:
    You could use bt's dns as a secondary in your modem settings. Im with BT and I use Eircom's Dns as primary because they're updated more often than BT's. I have problems with them sometimes as described in above posts but I have BT's dns as a secondary so I bypass the problem.

Goodness, do they allow that? I would have thought they'd use some form of ACL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep same here, does anyone know bt's settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

IIRC:
    194.125.2.240 - primary
    194.125.2.241 - secondary

check their website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Thanks god! I thought it was just me. It was fine Thursday night, but then Friday morning it was aweful. I wonder did it have anything to do with the upgrade to the 4 exchanges that happened on Thursday night? I'm on the Finglas exchange and I know they were doing work on it on Friday morning between 1-5am.

Skittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭badrobot

DNS is taking ages for me too. Probably just the upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

rsynnott wrote:
    Goodness, do they allow that? I would have thought they'd use some form of ACL.

Most Irish ISP's DNS servers are open to all in my experience. Try a few others to see which give you the best performance.

(I don't even remember whose DNS IPs it is that I have memorized any more, I've been using them that long over various ISPs...)

Edit: ah, a quick nslookup tells me it's Netsource's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Having the very same problem here on eircom. It's getting pretty annoying having to hit the refresh button 3 or 4 times before the page displays.

Ok just off the phone with eircom support. The guy I was talking to said there are no reported faults anywhere.

He got me to change my DNS settings however and it's much better now. Here's what he got me to do:

Go to your broadband connection in Network Connections. Right click on it and click properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Select the last option 'Use the following DNS server addresses'. Enter:

Preferred: 159.134.237.6
    Alternate: 159.134.248.17

Click OK and Close. That should do it. Mine is a lot better now.

Edit: Oh and he also got me to do a DNS flush. Start->Run - type cmd, press enter. Type ipconfig /flushdns, press enter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sorry to butt in guys but could my issue over on this thread be linked?
    http://ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054875357

Ok just off the phone with eircom support. The guy I was talking to said there are no reported faults anywhere.

He got me to change my DNS settings however and it's much better now. Here's what he got me to do:

Go to your broadband connection in Network Connections. Right click on it and click properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Select the last option 'Use the following DNS server addresses'. Enter:

Edit: Oh and he also got me to do a DNS flush. Start->Run - type cmd, press enter. Type ipconfig /flushdns, press enter.
    That's weird ... those are the old DNS server settings you always used to get before they changed over to the new ones (213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236), which is what my router is picking up automatically at the moment.

Alun wrote:
    That's weird ... those are the old DNS server settings you always used to get before they changed over to the new ones (213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236), which is what my router is picking up automatically at the moment.

Yeah, the broadband support pages also give the 213.94..... DNS servers as the ones to use. The old ones are working great for me at the moment. Try them and report back.

Yeah, the broadband support pages also give the 213.94..... DNS servers as the ones to use. The old ones are working great for me at the moment. Try them and report back.
    Mine's working OK at the moment, but if I have any more trouble I'll try the old ones. Maybe they're under less strain now that DHCP's handing out the new addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Mine's crap! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Popped the old ones in and everything nice and zippy now! :) thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Was having the same issue for last couple of days, setting the DNS manually in my router (Eircom primary, esat secondary) sorted it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

The last few weekend have been bad from friday evening until about noon on the saturday. DNS not responding. Rinning Eircom no help as all they ask is "have you antivirus." Perhaps its the upgrade. However before when my DNS was a limerick server there were no such problems. Now it looks as though the whole country is hooked into dublin DNS, could this be the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

excellent Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yeah old ones are the best!! (They just dont make those dns like they used to!!):D

Bit worrying that the eircom support site is down now too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Nice 1. The old ones work very nicely.

Feels like i've on been on dialup for a week r two. I'm back to broadband now!!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

deecom wrote:
    Yeah old ones are the best!! (They just dont make those dns like they used to!!):D

Be god and they dont :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thanks for posting this. Had to use it now since my browsing was becoming ridiculous. Working nicely now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

homah_7ft wrote:
    Thanks for posting this. Had to use it now since my browsing was becoming ridiculous. Working nicely now :D

Yeah same here, illustrates of how effective a quick goosey on boards can be

Advertisement