Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

device to download/send email

• 15-01-2006 5:51pm

Can anyone suggest a device that would allow me to download email for reading offline and also sending email written offline? The cheapest thing possible please...!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

A Blackberry???

well I was just looking for some advice....the Blackberry is quite contemporary and therefore bit pricey....surely there's some older devices available....there's loads of old pda's on eBay I just don't know which is best....

aren't the palm supposed to be the best pda's?

A palmtop and a phone with IRDA or bluetooth could do this also.

As for best PDA, that is quiet subjective and best is based totally on your needs. I had a palmtop, but it died. I rarely used it anyway, except for a few mp3s when i was walking with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Isn't the idea of a Blackberry that it's sorta an "always on" connection? Given that it's advertised as making sure it checks your mail every x minutes ...

ciaranfo wrote:
    Isn't the idea of a Blackberry that it's sorta an "always on" connection? Given that it's advertised as making sure it checks your mail every x minutes ...

They use GPRS but I thought they used the WAP-push method. I.e. the server tells the device there is email to collect rather than the device checking. Worth further research anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yeh, but the point is that not much is done "offline" as such. It's always live and "online".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

I seem to remember there being an e-mail service (Yahoo I think) that you could register your number with and they would send you the info via text and you could answer the mail (via text) also...

I had something like it set up in an old job but (of course) it was handled by the IT section:rolleyes: ... I was on a Nokia 7650 at the time.

If you got it up and running with Yahoo all you'd need do is divert your current mail address to a new one with them and Robert's your Fathers' Brother!:D

Advertisement