Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sliding doors for wardrobes - Any ideas?

Options
  • 15-01-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I have an alcove of approx eight feet wide in which I want to convert into wardrobes. I have previously used those slide doors that B&Q and Woodies sell, but they seem to be the only one on the market. Anyone any ideas where I can get alternatives.

Please don't mention Sliderobes - I don't want to have to mortgage the house to buy them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Try Cedarwood Kitchens & Bedroom Furniture 051 425850

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Any ideas lads ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I did the exact same thing - sliderobes are a complete ripp-off

I went to this place : Ariel Door Gears Ltd, Address: 25 Crescent pl
    Clontarf, 3 -Phone: (01) 8333168

I got 4 rails for a 5ft wardobe with the door runners also.
    Cannot remember the price but not dear.
    I put two doors on the back rail and one on the front but every setup will be different.

I then got 2 doors and a side sheet in the same timber plus the inside melomine from the paneling centre. used vanity blocks for the shleves (kids climbing) and a melomine blade in my saw to stop the edges chipping.
    Also get some iron-on strip. aslo use painters caulk (?) to seal the edges of the shelves to make it look good.

I think :) I did the lot for about e250 --in or around that

1 major point --both top and bottom rails have to be level and the same distance from each other !!! or the doors will fall off :eek:

Karl

I'assuming you got the track etc from Ariel Door Gears, but where did you get the actual doors?

Martin

Any ideas lads ?

I'm not a lad & I did give you a lead....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Karl

I'assuming you got the track etc from Ariel Door Gears, but where did you get the actual doors?

Martin

At the time from the Paneling centre on Richmond road -now gone - but they are on the old santry road now or Noyeks have doors beside Finglas M50.

try here
    http://www.yellowpages.ie/results.asp?origin=HOME&what=noyeks

here -half way down page one.

I'm not a lad & I did give you a lead....

Apologies Babaduck, not intended as a request from guys only .. used as a generic term.

Mea Culpa, Mea Cupla, Mea Culpa

Only just got to your lead and it worked out - thanks

Martin

We use them in work & they installed Sliderobe style wardrobes in a showhouse - they were fabulous - see pic

884793042305_0_ALB.jpg

They referred to me a company in the Cherry Orchard Ind Est (Only because they are located in New Ross) that do the same door and stuff. In fact I think they manufacture them - even better still.

Many Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I did a DIY wardrobe (2.4m high x 2.4m wide) about 2 years ago, made up the interior frame and shelves with standard 2x1 and white melamine board.

Then I got 3 doors (2 plain, 1 full-length mirror, plastic veneered but looked good) from Woodies (Stanley brand I think), including the rail kit, etc. These were mounted in front of the framework/shelves. The whole job only cost about €200-250 If I remember rightly (we got the doors on sale :D ).

A job for the competent DIY-er I think but its all in the finishing touches to make it look professional.

• Advertisement

starman100

I did exactly the same, build the inners shelving etc, and bought the same doors with one mirrored about three years ago. You didn't happened to get a glimpse of my plans did you eh ? Only problem is, thats all that appears to be on the market and I need to to something different

The lead babaduck gave me eventaully led to a company called Robeplan in cheery orchard www.robeplan.com and they sell the gear in different styles and thats what I wanted.

Thanks to contributors

Advertisement