Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Robbins

Options
  • 15-01-2006 8:06pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

Had anyone here ever read any of his books?

The first one of his I read was "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", it got me completely hooked on his writing. The novels he wrote back in the 60's cover topics that are still relevant now and don't feel dated at all.

I've just finished reading "Villa Ingonito" and his collection of short writings "Ducks Flying Backwards". I really enjoyed both as I love his use of language and his craxy plot lines. His writing is almost like the Latin American magical realism genre.

So anyone else read him? Do you love him or hate him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Read Skinny Legs and All years ago. It was the summer after my first year in college and I was in Germany working for the summer. There was only one other English speaker in the whole place, a guy I worked with who loaned me a few books when I started to go mad for not having something easy to read. Don't think I would have read it otherwise and the first time I read it I found it hard enough to get into because it was totally unlike anything I usually read. Very surreal in parts. Loved it by the time I'd finished it and read it several times before losing it during a house move (along with The Scarlet Pimpernel, great book!).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

"Skinny Legs and All" is one of my favourites of his books. My copy also seems to have gone walkabout. I didn't find it too hard to get into, but I had read several of his books before I got to it but I can totally see how someone coming across his work for the first time would find it difficult to get into.

"Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" is probably the easiest of his books to get into. It's hilarious!

Advertisement