Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon

Options
  • 15-01-2006 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I test drove a Seat Leon 1.6 yesterday and loved it. Has anyone any opinions / knowledge on it? There is a new 1.4 model coming out but it's not due until about May and I don't think I can wait that long. The model I loved was the S model.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

ribenaro wrote:
    I test drove a Seat Leon 1.6 yesterday and loved it. Has anyone any opinions / knowledge on it? There is a new 1.4 model coming out but it's not due until about May and I don't think I can wait that long. The model I loved was the S model.

If there's a new model coming out you can use that as a serious bargaining tool if hoping to buy the older model. Keep telling the salesman that it will be "out of date" etc. and let him stew in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the new leon is already out

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=302039 - new

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=337570 - old

The new leon only came out last year so i doubt theres a new one coming out this year, unless your on about a new engine variant?

which one did you drive new/old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ribenaro

The new model doesn't come in a 1.4 at the moment, it's just 1.6 up. I drove the old 1.4 and didn't like it, not interested in bargaining for it and I also drove the new 1.6 which I loved. I love the S model more so than the R Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 1.4 engine that will be introduced is more than likely the asthmatic 75bhp unit form the old Leon. The new Leon is bigger than the old one, and even if they use a 100bhp version, it won't be that good a drive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i see, a 1.4 engine is too under powered anyway, the tdi is also an option if you go for the higher bhp options

• Advertisement

Thanks Colm. At least I know not to bother waiting for the 1.4. Do you think it's madness to buy a Leon over another Golf Comfort (I drive a 03 one at the moment). The 1.6 S model works out the same price-wise as the Golf Comfort. I'm just bored with the Golf now. It holds its value quite well but.......

I dunno, the Leon looks a bit more adventurous, and could be nicer to drive,
    Second hand you can sort of justify a 1.6 Golf, don't quite know how a 1.6 Leon would do second hand, The Mk.5 Golf is a nice enough looking car, but you'd hardly get excited by it. Hows about a Corolla Luna 5dr, Climate Control, Alloys, fogs, nice seats etc. for €23,000. not drastically different form the Golf size-wise, but in 1.4 form, a whole lot nippier

My mother has a 00 Corolla which I don't really like but she is changing to a new model (I think the luna) and is all excited about it. I might test drive one tomorrow. Good to know it's nippy.

the 00 Corolla is a completely different car (fair enough the engine is the same)
    The 1.4 engine is 95bhp, and has variable valve timing which makes it powerful right through the revs.

Ok thanks. I'll test drive a Corolla at lunchtime and see what it's like.

• Advertisement

well? did you drive it?

No, went up to the garage and he didn't have one for me to drive. I really liked the look of the 5 door Luna but it had come in for someone else. I sat in to it and thought the seats a bit hard and wasn't too enthuased by the spec.

I've driven the Astra Club, Citroen C4 S &, Focus Zetec. I liked the C4, it's very comfortable but not sure about it. I drove that twice in this week. I'm going to drive the Leon in 2 different garages tomorrow and also the new Golf. Hopefully I'll make my mind up after all that! I'm really drawn to the Leon's looks and I think the spec is quite good. Unless the Golf blows me away, I think I'll be going for the Leon.

which garage did you go to? they should've given you a drive in another trim level. would've been mechanically identical, find them to be a nice drive, and the seats are quite supportive

Yeah, they weren't too eager to sell. Apparently the other sales guy had just brought it home for lunch. He told me to come back the next day but I couldn't have been bothered. There were other cars to fry! Went to the Garage in Portlaoise. Will try a different garage tomorrow when I'm on my rounds!!

It's well worth a drive, if you get a chance

Advertisement