Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio 4 UK Theme

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭FREEBBC

Anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

FREEBBC wrote:
    :D:D:D:D FIRST POST:D :D:D:D

Hi im new i need help downloading the BBC Radio 4 UK Theme
    i found the link
    http://www.sterlingtimes.org/music_themes20.htm
    ...and i can't downloading it.

You can't download it from there, thats a streaming site. Trying googling "radio 4 theme tune" +download +mp3

caimin wrote:
    You can't download it from there, thats a streaming site. Trying googling "radio 4 theme tune" +download +mp3
    cHEERS MATE;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ahhh the BBC Radio 4 UK theme... I have that on my PC to play at 5:30am (if its on at that hour!)

Early one morning, Rule Britannia, Danny Boy, What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?, Greensleeves, Men of Harlech and Scotland the Brave all blended in very well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Speaking of early morning theme tunes, when 2FM was still RTE Radio 2 and also not 24 hour there was a tune played before the start of the day's broadcast. What was it?

The main melody was played on a trumpet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

There used to be some old 2fm/Radio 2 jingles on this page but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

I remember RTE Radio 1 used to have a 10 second jingle on repeat for half an hour before their programmes started every morning, I think it was called "O'Donnell Abú"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of UK theme, if I fall asleep with the radio on, instead on the timer that music will always wake me dispite the fact other music gets played on World Sevice during the night.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

radioman wrote:
    I remember RTE Radio 1 used to have a 10 second jingle on repeat for half an hour before their programmes started every morning, I think it was called "O'Donnell Abú"

They still play "O'Donnell Abú" every morning at 5:30 before Maxi. Just the once though, and it's been slightly remixed.

The UK Theme will be no more...

Radio 4 ditches UK Theme

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,,1693184,00.html
    Julia Day
    Monday January 23, 2006
    BBC Radio 4 is axing its early morning UK Theme medley of patriotic songs after 33 years to make way for a new 5.30am news bulletin.

Radio 4's UK Theme - which interweaves folk songs from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - has been the first thing played on the station each morning since 1973.

Composed by the late flautist Fritz Spiegl - who also wrote the theme tune to TV classic Z-Cars - the five-minute UK Theme is broadcast each morning at 5.30am, identifying the change over from World Service programmes that play on the station overnight to Radio 4's own broadcasts.

But the Radio 4 controller, Mark Damazer, believes listeners want to be brought up to date with the latest news as soon as they switch on their set, rather than having to wait until the 6am start of the Today programme.

"I know there are some people who will regret the passing of the UK Theme but I believe the bulk of the audience will be better served by a pacy news briefing, read by one of Radio 4's fine team of news readers," said Mr Damazer. From April, Radio 4 will begin broadcasting 10 minutes earlier, at 5.20am, with an extended shipping forecast that will now include the full inshore water forecast.

Then, at 5.30am, there will be a new weekday bulletin bringing early risers up to date on the day's headlines and issues.

It will not be a mini-Today programme with two-way interviews and comment. But rather a straightforward news bulletin read by one of the station's newsreaders, including headlines, a newspaper review, business and sports news and a look ahead to the stories likely to develop during the day. There may be the occasional news package produced specially for the programme.

The new bulletin will not affect Prayer for the Day at 5.43am or Farming Today, two minutes later. And the Today programme will begin at 6am as usual.

Some Radio 4 listeners may be upset by the loss of the UK Theme. The station's listeners are both notoriously wary of changes and vocal about anything they do not agree with.

Mr Damazer's recent decision to axe Home Truths, after failing to find a suitable replacement for the late John Peel as presenter, caused heated debate among the audience.

Spiegl's UK Theme is an ingenious compilation of UK folk tunes including Rule Britannia, Danny Boy, What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor?, Greensleeves and Scotland the Brave.

Don't you just hate the solution to a non-problem?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yet more evidence of the BBC "dumbing down"...as mike65 says, why fix what's not broke...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

The suits in the BBC clearly don't possess an ounce of sentimentality. What better than a 'pacy news briefing' (have you ever heard such bullshit) right before a three-hour-long news programme. Idiots.

Indeed. "Pacy news briefing" Sounds like 5 Live... 10 years ago.... oh christ no....

I'm surprised they got rid of Home Truths, although it's true, its not the same at all without John Peel.

I assume Farming Today is being pushed out of the schedule as well? Not that I'm an avid fan or anything, but I'm sure there's plenty of them and it obviously provides a valuable service...

Wertz I'm slightly amazed Farming Today is still going, given the tiny number of farmers in Britain now. The fact its on every day proberly means someone is eyeing it up for 'streamlining'.

Mike.

In fairness it's as much aimed at country folk as farmers...at least it seemed that way anytime I caught it....kind of like that Country Times thing, John Craven does on a sunday morning...

What's next...bye bye Archers? :eek: :v:

So long as Sailing By, composed by the wonderously named Ronald Binge, stays at 12:45am.

Farming Today and Prayer for the Day stay in the same spots...

New sample pre-Today schedule here....

New early morning schedule for Radio 4
    Mark Damazer, Controller of BBC Radio 4, has announced plans for the network which will change the face of the early morning schedule.

From April, Radio 4 will begin its own programming at 5.20am with an extended Shipping and In-shore Waters forecast.

From 5.30am there will be a News Briefing – to include headlines, a newspaper review, business and sports news – and a look ahead to the stories likely to develop during the day.

This will be followed by Prayer for the Day and Farming Today, neither of which are affected by the change. The UK Theme is dropped.

Mark Damazer says: "We should be able to build on the information service we now provide at 5.30 and the 'look ahead' is a new ingredient.

"I know there are some people who will regret the passing of the UK Theme but I believe the bulk of the audience will be better served by a pacy news briefing, read by one of Radio 4's fine team of news readers."

The schedule

Mondays-Fridays

5.20am Open up and welcome; Shipping Forecast - this is an extended Shipping Forecast which will now include the full inshore water forecast
    5.30am News Briefing - a new weekday briefing for early risers bringing them up to date on the day's headlines and issues
    5.43am Prayer for the Day
    5.45am Farming Today
    6.00am Today

Saturdays

5.20-5.45am As Mondays-Fridays
    5.45am Feature (repeat)
    6.00am News and Weather
    6.10am Open Country

Sundays

5.20-5.43am As Mondays-Fridays
    5.43am Bells on Sunday
    5.45am World Report
    6.00am News
    6.05am Something Understood

Radio 4 Publicity

Sailing By and the shipping f'cast are the best cure for insomnia that I know of...

There is something so settling about the piece of music..... You know its there, its reliable... like the tides...

• Advertisement

God we're like a bunch of old men! :D Sailing By rocks!

Mike.

The shires revolt....

Wake up call for Damazer

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,,1693837,00.html
    Julia Day
    Tuesday January 24, 2006
    Radio 4 listeners may be the politest audience in the world but they are also the most militant and well-organised and Mark Damazer, BBC Radio 4 controller, could well rue the day he axed the station's UK theme and incurred their wrath.

The BBC has received official complaints from Radio 4 fans opposed to Mr Damazer's decision to do away with Fritz Spiegl's medley of rousing UK folk songs after 33 years, in order to make room for a 5.30am news briefing.

The station's internet message boards have been set alight by the decision with fuming fans venting their spleens over the loss of the five-minute medley. A dedicated website has even been set up by one fan at savetheradio4theme.co.uk, to petition for the reversal of Mr Damazer's decision.

One correspondent on the Radio 4 message boards, Researcher 237003, even calls for the axing of Mr Damazer rather than the theme tune.

"This is a sad situation and I feel that sacking the controller and keeping the music may be a worthwhile course. The British Broadcasting Corporation, as was, relinquishes yet another piece of our culture. The controller should relinquish his desk," the message reads.

Another, CrisEdinburgh asks: "Why is the BBC so determined to reduce its broadcasting to a diet of unending sameness, 24 hours a day? If the 'need for news' really is so great, why not start broadcasting half an hour earlier in order to accommodate the theme tune?"

Others point out that BBC News 24, Sky News and other services provide rolling news.

Many messages reveal listeners' emotional attachment to the piece of music.

Andrew - London writes: "The UK theme has been associated with many happy memories ... [it] is another one of those things that marks out Radio 4 as distinctive and if it goes it will be a huge loss."

Some complain that the theme has been axed because the BBC is uncomfortable with expressions of patriotism.

"This seems typical of the BBC's constant desire to disassociate itself from anything that could be construed as nationalism," writes Critical Jack.

"I'm no flag-waving patriot, but the BBC does seem to have a problem identifying itself with a 'British' identity."

And the campaign to save the theme has won some high-profile backing from inside the corporation.

BBC2 Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman closed last night's programme saying: "It's been good enough for the past 33 years ... We've no idea what the head of Radio 4's playing at - we're thinking of using it every night," before playing out with the tune.

However, Mr Damazer does not appear to be for turning. Appearing on Radio 4's Today programme this morning to defend his decision he said: "I honestly don't think on balance it is the best way of serving our audience first thing in the morning ... the time had come for change.

"I know there are people who wake up and like to be eased in to the day with Fritz's medley but ... it clearly has served its purpose," he said.

DMC wrote:
    The shires revolt....

Wake up call for Damazer

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,,1693837,00.html
    Julia Day
    Tuesday January 24, 2006
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

11.15am
    Radio 4 revolt gains momentum

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,,1694513,00.html
    Julia Day, radio correspondent
    Wednesday January 25, 2006
    BBC Radio 4 is coming under pressure to hold a consultation on the axing of the UK Theme music after receiving over 500 complaints in one day.

The medley of folk tunes from the British Isles has been played at 5.30am for the past 33 years, but the station controller, Mark Damazer, has decided to replace it with a "pacy" news bulletin.

Labour MP Austin Mitchell appeared on the Today programme to add his voice to the protest, and threatened to draft a House of Commons motion on the matter.

"You are crazy to drop it," said Mr Mitchell. "On the rare occasion that I do hear it I find it very uplifting ... it makes you feel good about life and the country.

"[A Commons motion] would be sensible because you are rushing it through. I'm glad you have announced a consultation now."

However, a Radio 4 spokeswoman confirmed that no consultation had been announced.

Tim Hatton, a website designer from Guildford, has set up savetheradio4theme to petition for the reversal of Mr Damazer's decision. He told the Today programme that 500 people had signed so far.

"Radio 4 has always changed and I'm not against change for the better but I am against change for change's sake. A lot of the comments on the petition are angry that there has been no consultation, that it is just a done decision," he said

4.30pm
    UK Theme row enters the Commons

http://media.guardian.co.uk/bbc/story/0,,1694725,00.html
    Julia Day, radio correspondent
    Wednesday January 25, 2006
    BBC Radio 4 today faced questions in the House of Commons, three motions in the house being tabled, hundreds of complaints and 7,000 signatures on a petition against the axing of the UK Theme.

Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer announced he was replacing Fritz Spiegl's UK Theme medley with a "pacy" news bulletin at 5.30am from April, much to the consternation of thousands of the station's listeners and several politicians.

But it appears Mr Damazer is sticking to his guns: "There is no consultation at this time," said a spokeswoman for the station. Although she refused to rule out a consultation in the future.

The Tory MP, Philip Davies, and Labour MP, John Spellar, have tabled motions condemning Mr Damazer's decision, with a third planned by Austin Mitchell, Labour MP for Grimsby.

Tory MP James Clappison took the opportunity at question time in the Commons to ask Tony Blair to intervene on behalf of the popular medley.

"Whether or not we are to have a Great Britain Day, will you at least do what you can do to help keep the UK Theme on early British morning radio?" asked Mr Clappison.

To laughter, Mr Blair joked: "Obviously, my influence with the BBC is legendary. But I know they will be aware of the very strong feeling that is expressed by you and by many others, I am sure, in the house and across the country."

In his motion, Mr Davies said he regretted that "political correctness has sparked the removal of the UK medley" and claimed this was detrimental to patriotism.

A website set up by Radio 4 fan Tim Hatton to petition Mr Damazer to reverse his decision had received 7,000 signatures by this afternoon, having started the day with 500.

Meanwhile Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman has waded in to the row, emailing Mr Hatton with a message of support.

"I've no idea what they think they're doing. When you think, they could have done something useful. Like murdering You and Yours. Or Veg Talk," he wrote.

So can i download the theme
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Ray777 wrote:
    They still play "O'Donnell Abú" every morning at 5:30 before Maxi. Just the once though, and it's been slightly remixed.

The old one can be heard here, and the history of RTE makes a good enough read..
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_index.html

just heard on "today" this morning that the radio 4 theme will be released on CD shortly. I tell ya lads, my internet radio device is the business!!

Even better news ahem!
    RADIO 4’S UK Theme is to be rerecorded by a one-hit wonder from the Nineties in the hope that chart glory may save the medley from being axed.

Mike Flowers, formerly of The Mike Flowers Pops, is most famous for his reworking of Wonderwall by Oasis, which reached No 2 in the charts in 1995. His version turned the gravelly Britpop anthem into a swinging melody reminiscent of the late 1950s, and Flowers was credited with the revival of British “light music”.

Now he will join the composer Gavin Sutherland and the Royal Ballet Symphony Orchestra to lay down the track. The B side will be the shipping forecast theme, Sailing By. The music download service iTunes has expressed interest.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

legspin wrote:
    Speaking of early morning theme tunes, when 2FM was still RTE Radio 2 and also not 24 hour there was a tune played before the start of the day's broadcast. What was it?

The main melody was played on a trumpet.
    LOL
    used to come in late and turn on the radio and then go to bed. No noise till that long fanfare at 6:30. Whatever the quality of it, it seemed to last forever as a lie in. Then they changed it and the new one didn't sound half as long and spoilt the lie in.

Anyone know where I could get the Archers tune to use as a ring tone ?

Radio 4 tune Petition
    http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/radio4theme/
    Please note - you're under no obligation to give a donation to iPetitions which you'll be asked to do on the next page - just close the page if you don't want to donate, your vote will still be registered. I've got no connection with iPetitions other than they host this petition which I was able to get up in a few minutes!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dum-di-dum-di-dum-di-dum-dum-di-dum-di-dum-dum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/arts/archers_20040401.shtml :eek:

Oh, Capt'n, look for "Barwick Green" , thats the name of the Archers theme.

I know, and yer man died in '53 but looks like the Mickey Mouse rule applies. Life + 70 + further extensions. Tune dates from '24

http://www.thearchers.co.uk/Archers/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=119&ItemID=1969&tabIndex=2
    We're often asked where you can down-load the Archers theme tune on your mobile phones. Boosey & Hawkes, who own the copyright to Barwick Green, has just launched its own site, and you'll find the ring tone there on special offer to Archers Addicts.
    As the official publisher of Arthur Wood's celebrated work, Boosey & Hawkes has teamed up with Archers Addicts to offer Barwick Green ringtones and the full length MP3 download exclusively to Archers Addicts members at a very special rate of £1.50.
    http://www.booseytones.com/
    or over here - Polyphonic Ringtones cost £3.00. Works on Vodafone Ireland, O2 Ireland and Meteor.

All to "support the desendents of his desendents" even thought they have had the welfare state there for over half a century :rolleyes:
    /RANT

BTW
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/arts/archers_20040401.shtml :eek:

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

DMC wrote:
    So long as Sailing By, composed by the wonderously named Ronald Binge, stays at 12:45am.
    Listen to the version of this that RTE Radio 1 use for the theme tune for The Maritime Programme and it's like night (RTE) and day (BBC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bungeecork wrote:
    The old one can be heard here, and the history of RTE makes a good enough read..
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_index.html
    I remember as a kid being brought to Paddy Clarke's now-defunct RTE museum that he ran from the basement of his house.

The O'Donnel Abù chimes weren't on a tape loop, but generated by a scary looking box about the size of a toaster with a big rotating 'steering wheel'. It was custom built in Germany and I have a pic of it somewhere.

Edit: I just looked at the link provided, and it wasn't this http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_1930s.html

The one shown in that link looks like a later mag-tape loop type device.

• Advertisement

I remember that from around about this week a couple of years ago! One of Today's best ;)

Advertisement