Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anarchy Online

• 15-01-2006 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27

I'm sure you've all heard of this MMORPG, and of Funcom, the company responsible for it. Well...there's probably a few things you haven't heard about it, which I had to find out the hard way.

At the beginning of 2005 both my father and I started playing the game, due to the free offer (which is still going on). Within a few months we had both upgraded to the full product with both expansions (costing about €115 each for a year). Everything went fine until my account was nicked by someone in September/October.

After 3 days I finally had my email answered, and after a fourth day my account was recovered. However, items and credits (which took a long time to get) were not reimbursed. We were told that they couldn't prove anything by logs, and so no action would be taken. In their official FAQ, however, it states they are able to verify lost items and reimburse them:

"Is Funcom Customer Service able to reimburse lost items, credits, ip or xp?

There are instances we can and will reimburse items and experience. Please read our policy regarding this at the follow URL.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/news/articles/5460L/

Only online GMs are able to make decisions about reimbursement. The people answering mails in Funcom Customer Service are not able to answer questions about this."

We were also told in an email with another Funcom employee that items were recorded by logs, and only credits couldn't be. After quite a few emails back and forth, we finally got a response that they would look into it. A few days later, our accounts were closed for an investigation.

Well, a week or so later we email them asking when our accounts would be reopened, and after a few emails, we find out that we are permenantly banned for "a bad impersonation of a gm". This is one of the only offences which will get a permenant ban, but is one that I did not commit. They would not give any evidence, and quickly stopped responding to our emails.

So...here we were, just cheated out of €60 each, and a fun game which we both enjoyed. We spent over 3 months emailing without response, and even had a solicitor email them without response. Ingame staff (I created a new free account to get assistance) can't help, and say email is the only way to go. We've tried ringing them, but they refused to talk via the phone. I've tried the irc channel, but no staffmembers go there, only players. I thought of posting on the forums, but you need a paid account to do that, so I couldn't since mine was banned.

Since this has happened, I have heard similar stories from other players. One told me how his account was stolen, and when it was recovered, Funcom said they'd hold onto it for an investigation for up to 5 days. In the same email they also told him that if he wanted his items reimbursed, he'd have to petition from ingame within 48hours. Now...I'm not too good at maths, but he won't be ingame for 5days, yet only has 2days to petition. Something doesn't add up there.

Those are only a few stories about Funcom, and their terrible customer support. I'm going to continue emailing them, and might be forced to resort to legal action. I just thought I'd let people know, and wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to get them to start replying. If anyone wants more information, or has advice, feel free to message me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wow, thats a serious crime right there.
    I quite liked that game, hell it ate up several days when I signed up for the trial. I had always intended to go back to it for at least a month and get all the patches but... ick. No thanks, thats an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Vile

I completely loved the game too (as did my father). All I really want (and all I have asked from Funcom) is for the accounts to be unbanned, and 1 of my 8 characters to be rolled back to how he was before he was stripped (he was my pvp character and it took about 20-30days to get all the equipment on). It's a real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Vile

I've posted the full story in my blog:

http://www.xanga.com/Vile2539

Read it if you want...but beware, it's long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've just read it and I'd like to reiterate what a fúcking disgrace I think it is.

Consider me boycotting Funcom...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Yeah that's a shocking story.

It's a pity your email was hacked in the first place, but at least all your bank stuff wasn't ripped off aswell.

Edit: Maybe this should be moved to the Security Thread?

I had cause to talk to a GM over pvp bullying before, I doubt they have much power (or at least they don't use it). So it never really got resolved.

My characters are free to play and I like the AO environment, the chat and the scope of characters and their development.

I do keep being disconnected though, mostly with network3 broadband, but even on eircom's broadband cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Vile wrote: »
    I'm sure you've all heard of this MMORPG, and of Funcom, the company responsible for it.

But Just in case you haven't, thousands of people play this great game every day, very happily.

Blurb from the website...

Anarchy Online (AO) is a science fiction themed massive multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG).

Step almost 30,000 years into the future, to an age where common surgical implants and microscopic nano-bots can relieve most forms of human suffering... or transform any normal being into a weapon of destructive force.

Compete and cooperate with thousands of players simultaneously in an elaborate science fiction world of cutting-edge graphics and sound. Join humanity nearly 30.000 years in the future in a world of perpetual conflict and scientific achievement.

On the planet of Rubi-Ka, a battle rages between the haves and have-nots in a time when the clans seek liberation from the all-powerful Omni-Tek corporation in the name of justice, voluntarily if possible; from the barrel of a gun if necessary. The leaders of both sides are desperately seeking a solution that can stop the violence ravaging the planet, against a backdrop of betrayal, military raids and conniving political games, cyborg assassins and modified humans.

Express yourself through voice, emotes or chat in a fantastic social environment with clubs, bars, guild houses, player apartments, social clothes and much more.

Guide...

Players get to chose their breed, profession and alliegence. The in-game help files are uite extensive and a friendly Games Master is usually online and can be asked for help in those early days of exploration and evolution. There are usually hundreds of players online at any one time, if not thousands. Other players are generally friendly, but there are some who will appear friendly and usually want you to do some team mission with them, then they grab what they came for and leave without a word, just like real life. If you ask me, it's worth whatever you went through just to see them for what they are, and be rid. Having said that, most players are decent.

Gameplay isn't exactly linear, you are not told what to do. You are free to take on missions for rewards, spend cash on clothes, weapons and armour, or roam the world of Rubi-Ka, sightseeing and killing monsters. Team missions can be very rewarding, with up to six players per team, and is essential for certain locations such as The Temple of the Three Winds or The Crypt of Home.

The Game...

You can view the Anarchy online homepage here:
    http://www.anarchy-online.com

You can download the Game client here:
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarchy/frontend.cgi?func=frontend.show&template=drill&func_id=1088&navID=1003,1005,1070,1088

You will also need to update the client with Patches (tweaks and fixes) which will happen as part of the game setup.

I think the Demension Rubi-Ka 2 is best.

Character...

When you first create a Character, It's Breed will go hand-in-hand with it's Profession, the 4 Breeds are...

Solitus
    The Solitus breed will provide you with the most well-rounded base for your character. However, unless you plan to be a jack-of-all-trades of sorts, you'd likely be better off with a more specialized breed.

Opifex
    If agility is your thing, the Opifex is your match. On the whole, the Opifex is still pretty average: Strengths in agility and sense are offset by weaknesses in stamina and body development. However, stamina is much less important to the big picture than agility or sense, and as such the Opifex often winds up being an excellent choice of breed.

Nano
    Most definitely not an average breed, the Homo Nano is extremely skilled at nonphysical abilities but is inept at those abilities that do rely on physical prowess. Obviously, the Nano breed is not a good choice if you plan to be along the front lines; however, for characters planning on choosing a profession that will bring a heavy reliance on nanobots, the Nano is a most excellent breed.

Atrox
    At the other end of the spectrum is the Atrox. Devoid of any talent for nano-related activities, the Atrox is extremely big and strong. Not a good choice for a nano-technician, for example; however, the Atrox is the perfect breed for an enforcer or other melee-heavy profession.

The 12 Professions are...

Adventurer (Ideal breed is Solitus), Agent (Opifex), Bureaucrat (Nano), Doctor (Nano), Enforcer (Atrox), Engineer (Nano), Fixer (Opifex and Solitus), Martial Artist (Opifex and Solitus), Meta-Physicist (Nano), Nano-Technician (Nano), Soldier (Atrox), Trader (Solitus).

If you have the Shadowlands expansion pack you can choose from two extra Professions, Shade (Solitus or Atrox) and Keeper (Opifex).

Interacting...

Use the Arrow keys and the Mouse to move/look around, mousewheel to zoom
    Left-click on a target to select it
    Right-click to trade/communicate
    Backspace to Run/Walk
    X to sit/stand
    Tab to select next monster/player
    F1 to select self
    T to get character information
    U to open/close your Character window, where you can allocate your experience points
    I to open/close your Inventory

Press Q to start combat which can be augmented by using some combat items in your hotbar (y).

Fighting in-game is dependent on many attributes including yours versus your opponent's strength, agility, hitpoints, accuracy, weapons, armour, buffs, nano programs, etc.

If your opponent's health bar is grey, it will be easy to kill it (don't expect many experience points for easy kills though), If it's green, you should manage ok, If it's yellow it's the same level as you, Orange may be difficult to kill, and Red can be killed but is always higher than you. It's not wise to try to kill creatures that are more than, say 15 levels higher without super armour, weapons and buffs.

Starting off...

When you start playing for the first time you begin at ICC Shuttleport, there is a guy dressed in blue on the beach where you first appear, go talk to him. He'll guide you through your first few missions. Take time to wander around, getting used to the play.

You may want to make a Salamander vest which offers very good armour for the beginner. You will need a Swatch of Salamander skin (which you get by hunting, killing and looting the salamanders), some Rollerrat intestines and one of Antonio's Adaptation Factory gadgets (Antonio is located up the ramp on the right, he wears light blue and has a white beard).

Using your Tradeskills panel, combine the Adaptation Factory with the Rollerrat Intestines to make Gut Bowstring, then combine the Gut Bowstring with the Swatch of Salamander Skin to make a Salamander Vest.

The Vest gives the following protection..
    ChemicalAC 120
    ColdAC 40
    EnergyAC 40
    FireAC 40
    MeleeAC 40
    PoisonAC 120
    ProjectileAC 40
    RadiationAC 40
    MaxNanoEnergy 40
    RunSpeed 20
    FirstAid 10

Anarchy Online Guides are also available, like this one:
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/guides/pc/anarchyonline/index.html

Screens...

Select Breed
    021010_02.jpg

Alien invasion force
    21208264.jpg

Engineer and Pets
    8685401.jpg

Rome in the Rain
    9484656.jpg

Team missions
    020702_03.jpg

Hunting Dragons
    89437772.jpg

Club
    020524_03.jpg

An Archer
    020402_01.jpg

Castle of Elysium
    4379484.jpg

Please let us know who your Characters are, with screenshots please (f12) :D

Advertisement