Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 or ps3

Options
  • 15-01-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

If you were to choose which console to buy what would you get and why?
    Does anybody know when the ps3 is out?

\,,/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

i cant pick, because i dont own both consoles, and the ps3 isnt even out yet, so no one can make a fair choice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i think the PS3 is going to be a superior machine, it will have an integrated bluray player that is the future of HD-TV/DVD, so for that alone it is worth it the 360 will never be able to store the same amount of data on a disc so the graphics will always be only second best to the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

^^^ oh fcuking lol.

Simple answer, get a 360, or wait at least a year for the PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Holding out for the PS3 meself.

Fook teh xb0xrz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

they can barely fill dvd-5's atm nevermind dvd-9's , so I dont think the size of blu ray disc's will make a difference for years. The nintendo revolution could have 500gb discs's (joking!) but that doesnt mean its gonna have better graphics. Its up to game developers to make good graphics.

If the ps3 goes the way of the psp, you probably wont even have one this time next yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

i think the PS3 is going to be a superior machine, it will have an integrated bluray player that is the future of HD-TV/DVD, so for that alone it is worth it the 360 will never be able to store the same amount of data on a disc so the graphics will always be only second best to the PS3.
    You think the PS3 will be better because of the disk drive it has. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

im a playstation man at heart. my m8 is gettin the 360 so ill see from that. although i did hear sumwhere the grafix will bhe better on the ps3. i hope so.an i hope not as expensive. i mean what is the 360 like. u cant just buy 1 u have to kit it out. anoying

\,,/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

bluray player that is the future of HD-TV/DVD,
    Says who? Toshiba's HD disks have just as much support as bluray and nobody can tell who's gonna win that battle yet. For all we know bluray could be the next betamax!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Why?Just why is this the 474th time theres been a thread like this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

[QUOTE=cablaalthough i did hear sumwhere the grafix will bhe better on the ps3.
    \,,/[/QUOTE]

i heard the complete opposite, sont played up the ps2 big time too and it was a big let down after...could happen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

i heard the complete opposite, sont played up the ps2 big time too and it was a big let down after...could happen again

the ps2 was a letdown:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The ps3 is pure speculation.

Saying the PS3 is superior because of Blu-Ray is pure fanboyism. For all we know Blu-Ray could flop and cost Sony big time supporting an expensive format.

As for the graphics there will be little difference. It's possible the Ps3 *may* have the ability to display more stuff happening at once on screen, or better world physics, but the graphics won't be that different, if at all. The guy responsible for Metal Gear Solid has actually said MGS4 could run on the Xbox 360.

It really, again, boils down to game taste. I bought A 360 for Perfect Dark at the moment, and For Halo 3 in the future. People will buy the ps3 for MGS4, Devil May Cry, or whatever comes out from the already estabhlished franchises. Anybody who buys the ps3 becauses its "better" is an idiot. ;)

And the ps2 wasn't a disappointment to the average gamer but it was a disappoinment in direct comparision to the outlandish claims Sony made regarding the PS2's capabilities. At the time, launch that is, the hype machine delivered specifications that in real life simply didn't exist or were totally untrue compared to the real specs.

I'm not saying the Ps3 isn't going to be immensely powerful but it's not the unstoppable Xbox 360 crushing juggernaunt it's being made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Well the obvious thing to do is wait until they are both available and then look at the features and games for each. If you are a big fan of movies and have a HDTV and your TV is big enough that you'd notice the difference, the Blu-Ray might turn you. In fairness, there can be 500 of these threads and you'll never get a definitive answer. The 360 has a distinct advantage because you can go out and buy one now, while you'll be waiting at least a few months, maybe over a year for the PS3, by which time the 360 will have a lot more games available.
    Personally, I'm buying a PS3 when it comes out because my PS2 is on it's last legs and I still enjoy most of my games. I will still wait a few months after it's release, though.
    Seriously, what's the rush?

Your probably right ice hawk. but i dont know when the ps3 is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Haha PS3 fanboys, guess what? You'll never be able to afford a PS3!
    Ok, that's mean, but let's recap:
    • It'll use the new Cell architecture -- a 7-core chip. Hella expensive.
    • It will have Blu-Ray -- a new, (largely) untested medium which is still incredibly expensive.
    • It's a Sony product.
    And the projected price for this? 500$
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

I hear people going on about graphics this graphics that, and tbh, I dont give a **** about the graphics. Yes sure they are a nice extra if the game is good but the gameplay is the most important factor. I think the revolution will have the best games out and I think i might go for that myself.

Remember when Super Mario 3 came out for SNES? The graphics on that sucked cock but its still one of the best games you will find in the world IMO.

And btw, wasnt the XB360 $500?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Why not have both? It's the simple solution, owning one doesn't preclude you from owning the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Incase you haven't noticed the latest news regarding the PS3 its not looking good.

Analysts are now saying:

Estemated Release Date: Summer 2006 - Japan, November 2006 - USA, March 2007 - Europe

Price: €600-€700

You gotta ask yourself is it worth the wait. It seems that the Spring 2006 release date was just a lie to get ppl to hold off getting the XBox360. I always liked playstations because off the better games[1] but I have really got fedup with Sonys consistant 3rd class treatment of Europe in regards to release dates. Look at the PS2, PSP also.
    I dont think Japanesse companies get what it means to be a multinational company in the age of the Internet the way American ones do and I hope Microsoft take a big bite out off Sony's market share this time round.

John.

[1] This is a personal view based on games that I have played on both consoles so please dont bother replying with a load of fanboy rubibsh about how XBox games kicks Playstation games ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

People are comparing two consoles - one of which hasn't even come out yet?

Crazy if you ask me. Buy the 360, play it for the next year and a half while saving up for the PS3 and then have this discussion on which one's the best around then?

It like comparing a 05 Bmw that you have driven with a 07 Mercedes that you have seen the brochure of!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Regarding the speculation regarding price and release dates of PS3:

Remember before the launch of PSP? Estimates of a $500+ price point and dates ranging within the span of over a year - and these were coming from heads of publishers and developers. So I wouldn't totally write-off a launch before summer at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

From what I've heard they haven't settled on a price yet and if the past consoles are anything to go buy the price won't be fixed till just before the launch. I can tell you tho that whatever the price Sony are losing money Big Time in the region of about 10 million (give or take!) an account of the blu-ray player & the sheer spec of the machine. Their putting serious money into it in the hope it'll pay off.

ye but isnt it already out in japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

cabla wrote:
    ye but isnt it already out in japan?

Nein.

Advertisement