Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for local authority housing

Options
  • 15-01-2006 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I don't know whether this is the correct forum but I need some advice. my wife and I are separating and Iwill be leaving the family home. I am going to apply for a council, shared equity or housing association property.

I have looked at the local councils criteria and I fear the fact that I am the joint owner ( or rather mortgagee) of a property this will affect my application. I will need sufficient accomodation for when my children come to stay although I would be living alone at other times.

Would the above two factors affect my eligibility?

Can anyone advise me on the best way to secure accomodation as soon as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can't really lie on the form, but feel free to include additional information (the separation) in a covering letter.

If they provide support, I suspect they are mostly likely to only provide support for you, alone, as your children will have somewhere to live.

That said, with affordable housing schemes, many people get properties larger than their immediate needs and can avail of the rent-a-room scheme.

Advertisement