Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linking Laptop wirelessly to Eircom Broadband problems!

• 15-01-2006 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

My problem is a bit similar to the one in the "help with sharing eircom bb with laptop" thread, posted by whenthepaw. I recently bought a Sony Vaio FS315E, which is wireless enabled. I already have a desktop and a standard broadband account with a standard DSL cable modem.

I got myself a Wireless - G Broadband Router, made by Linksys. I bought it in Peats. I connected it all up and put in the cd and began the configuartion process. I had to connect the modem via the router to my laptop. All goes well up to a point.

I do all the physical connections ok. Modem to Router, Router to laptop, with ethernet cables. It appears to configure the router ok.
    However when it tries to link to the Net, it won't do it. It is detecting the router, all the correct lights are flashing etc.

Going through the whole process from the installation CD: After setting the physical connections, on the next page it gives me "If your Internet Service Provider requires you to log in before accessing the internet, then enter you account information in the fields below."

It asks for username, password and confirmation. I don't have a wireless account with Eircom, just the standard broadband, so I don't log in anymore. If I leave those fields blank it gives me an error saying required fields have not been entered. So I enter my details there that I use for the broadband.

The next significant screen asks me for an SSID - default being "linksys". - Do I need to change that to connect to Eircom, remembering that I don't have a wireless account with them?

It has Channel which is set to 6. It has Network Mode with options of G-Only, B-Only and Mixed. I have tried a Mixed and as it is a Wireless-G router I have tried G-Only.
    Next screen is security. Options are:
    Disable
    WEP (64-Bit)
    WEP (128-Bit)
    WPA Personal
    WPA2 Personal
    WPA2 Mixed Mode

Not sure what to put in here. Anything other than Disable is asking me for
    Encryption, passphrase, key. !?!, so I've left it at Disable for most efforts.

It then asks to confirm new settings. It does a bit with the router and then tries for a net connection giving "Checking your internet Connection". The icons on the taskbar seem to show the wireless is working. After a bit of a delay I get a message: "Unable to detect the Internet Connection. Please go to the the advance setting page and check your connection type."

It then throws me back to an Advanced Internet Settings page, saying I have to configure the net connection manually. It asks me for:
    Connection with options of: PPPoE, Static IP, PPTP and DHCP.
    What do I put in there? According to the Eircom site, their broadband is PPPoE. I've tried that. It goes back around and connects to the router but won't give a net connection and sends me back to the Advanced Setting Page again. That is the circle I get trapped in. It seems to be doing everything, except connecting to the internet. It is definitely detecting the router, and tells me it can detect a network.

Amongst all of that there are a lot of settings etc., so I am obviously going wrong somewhere. I've tried lots of different things, but no joy. Is it a settings problem a modem problem? It is just an ordinary broadband modem, not a wireless one. It is a Netopia Cayman 3000 series, a 3341 to be precise, connected to the USB port on my PC.

One thing the guy in the shop said is that I may have to change a hardware setting on the modem to broadcast or routeless or something. I tried to find that setting in the system settings, on my desktop PC, but couldn't.

From a little research I have done I think I am being blocked from the internet. I am connecting with the router alright. It may be a setting in Windows XP Home, which I am using on the laptop. Any idea what it would be?

HELP!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I brought the computer into work today. I am currently in Tallaght. First of all I didn't expect there would be a network to contact, but there was. Again I could not get in to the net. I went into the settings and turned on the firewall and here I am on the net! :)That is the one thing I didn't try at home over the weekend. So I will try tonight at home to do the same.

I came home this evening hopeful, but it has not worked. Ok, to clarify the situation:

I have my desktop PC, running Windows 2000. It connects from a USB port (has no ethernet port) into the DSL modem's USB port. I can surf fine on that. The laptop is running Windows XP Home. If I put an ethernet cable from the modem's ethernet port to the laptop, I can get in to the net on the laptop no bother. I can be on the desktop on the net through the USB port at the same time.

What I want to be able to do is still have the desktop doing what it is doing, but allow the laptop to connect wirelessy, through the linksys router, into the DSL modem, and get onto the net. It is just purely a wireless connection to the net from my laptop, that I want to have. I don't want to communicate with the desktop from the laptop, or anything like that. The laptop is detecting and connecting with the router no problem, but I can't get an internet connection on it. I've tried all sorts of things, but no luck. I am still getting the same problem as in my first post. :(

I got a techno friend in who works in the business, but even he could not get it working. He got me a brand new Canyon Router and it worked perfectly first time. The Linksys has been returned.

Advertisement