Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed Urgently !!

Options
  • 16-01-2006 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Here is my problem !!
    My Current PC is : Dell Dimension 4500 2.26 P4 512MB RAM WinXP OS 80GB HD.
    I wanted to play BF2 on it but had PNY 5200 which was not suitable and RAM was not sufficent !
    So..... I ordered online an extra 512MB ( max 1gb allowed on system ) Ram for £40 stg ( Good Deal !! ) and pushed the boat out and got an ATI X800 RX 256mb PCI Express graphics card !

My problem is.... what happens if my comp dose not support PCI Express?

Im not too sure of the specs on my comp ( ie slots etc ) as im a comp NOOB but would apreciate anyones help in this matter.

I know how to install and upgrade, its just hardware issues im crap at !!

BTW the memory and card should be in Tuesdays post....HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little help please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There should be a product key next to a barcode somewhere on the back of the Dell. If you enter this code in on the Dell website it will tell you exactly what's in your computer.

I know my Dimension 5000 has a PCI Express slot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Here is my problem !!

PNY 5200

I doubt you'll have PCI-E if thats the card in there at the moment. 5200's were only made in AGP. 6 series cards can be either PCI or AGP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ah lads! You gotta check things out before ordering expensive stuff such as an "ATI X800 RX 256mb PCI Express graphics card"!
    I checked 4~5 different websites and posted here on boards.ie before ordering my new Graphics Card... It's a lot of money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Let this be a lesson to everyone else :)

Firstly, that card will not work in your system. If you already have an 5200, then you definately don't have a PCI-E Slot.

Seconadly, if you bought a card for that much money without having a clue what you were doing, I won't be surprised if the RAM you got isn't compatiable either.

Thirdly, the 5200 works with CoD2.

Forthly, 512 RAM is sufficent for CoD2.

Lastly, lol, you idiot.

Lastly, lol, you idiot.
    Cruel... But deserved I'm afraid... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Except it's Battlefield 2 he wants to play, not Call of Duty 2.

The mistake is easily made... Call of Duty 2 is such a better game! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

badbob_lucylu
    your computer(dell dimension 4500) has an AGP slot
    NO PCI EXPRESS SLOT

lol @ mobile infantry.... wake up fully before posting (slap) COD2 lmao

Lol.... sorry lads, guess it was too early a start for me this morning! Don't know where I pulled that from.

Believe it or not, Bf2 does still work on an fx5200, and 512ram. There was a guy once (The_Syco I believe) on the Bf2 forum who ran the game with 1.7ghz, 512mb ram, and a Geforce 4! (using shader disable patch) Thats actually under the requirements. He posted screenshots as well, it was hilarious. Tanks and jeeps were invisible. :D

But yeah, Battlefield 2 would feel the pain on an fx5200 and 512ram. All settings low, shadows off, aa off, lighting off, etc....:(

But anyway, to the point at hand, never, ever, ever, EVER pay that much money for something you don't know the first thing about. You're better getting someone who does know something about computers to help you out. I really hope the RAM you got is at least compatiable. Do you know what speed your ram runs at? Or did you just buy the first 512mb you found? If so, you more then likely bought incorrect stuff unfortunately.

I hope you still have time to cancel your order, best of luck. You might want to think about an entire new PC - the 2.2ghz cpu is getting a bit old now as well, might be simply easier to sell your current pc and buy a new top of the range one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 badbob_lucylu

Thanks for the info guys...but no one answered my question...EVERYONE HAD A GO !! but no one answered me !!
    Ok maybe I was expecting some kind of slating , but MOBILE ur a Wa***r, I used to read and respect ur opinion..ur only a mouth !!
    I did check out the ram situation and its fine and max upgrade is 1gb and I got the right speed ram too ( arrived today ).
    MY ORIGINAL QUESTION was I know I f**ked up with the card, can I get around this? Any help would be greatfull ( except Mobile !! )

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Thanks for the info guys...but no one answered my question...EVERYONE HAD A GO !! but no one answered me !!
    Ok maybe I was expecting some kind of slating , but MOBILE ur a Wa***r, I used to read and respect ur opinion..ur only a mouth !!
    I did check out the ram situation and its fine and max upgrade is 1gb and I got the right speed ram too ( arrived today ).
    MY ORIGINAL QUESTION was I know I f**ked up with the card, can I get around this? Any help would be greatfull ( except Mobile !! )

Cheers

Short answer - no! You bought a PCI-X card, your board only takes AGP, end of story im affraid. Send the card back and get an AGP card, unless you want to start with getting a new MOBo.

Cheers

Firstly, I did answer your question. You weren't sure if you had pci-e support and I said the card wouldn't work! And seconadly, how am I a wanker? I jokingly said "Lol, you idiot" Notice the LOL part. Hardly an overly personal attempt to abuse you. You have to admit its a bit silly to spend so much money on something you don't know about.

To answer your further question, the only way around it is to buy a new pc. You have an agp motherboard and there is no way around it apart from trying to send the card back and get an agp replacement. You cold technically change the motherboard but with DELL pcs that is virtually impossible even if you knew how to change parts.

Sell the PCI-E card you're after buying (hopefully you won't lose too much money on it) and buy an AGP Graphics Card instead.
    Or, contact seller and ask if replacement is a possibiliy as you fooked up when placing order... If that's possible you'll only lose money on shipping costs.

And don't call MobileInfantry a w@nker. He was nice to answer your question and he wasn't calling you an idiot to make you feel bad (hence the "LOL"). ;)

Advertisement