Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK: MPs now allowed to have their phones tapped.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

To keep listening to Galloway when he leaves the BB house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Nuttzz wrote:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nuttzz wrote:

A wee bit off topic but appears Galloway has been stitched up. C4 are purposely blanking his political conversations in the house and refuse to air them due to some law they are quoting. Meanwhile Galloway who went into the house to talk about Iraq is oblivious to this going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Oh the tragedy, attention seeker seeking attention denied attention. Hell have his chat with Davina anyway where hell be able to get on his soapbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Hobbes wrote:
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article338691.ece

Just curious what would be the point of this? Seems very watergate tbh.
    The point is that MI5(or whatever they're called) can tap the phones of ordinary people but cannot tap the phones of MP's which is a slightly unfair, yet you have to take in the fact that mp's are more likely than the public to have influence over who's phoned are tapped so the situation is a bit messy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Hobbes wrote:
    A wee bit off topic but appears Galloway has been stitched up. C4 are purposely blanking his political conversations in the house and refuse to air them due to some law they are quoting. Meanwhile Galloway who went into the house to talk about Iraq is oblivious to this going on.

Ah so thats what he was doing when he was pretending to eat catfood from that middle aged actress.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Come on people : could we possibly not talk about Big Brother in the politics forum?

...unless we're talking about it in the Orwellian sense, which ironically seems somewhat appropriate here.

Personally I think it's fairly disgraceful. If anyone deserves to be tapped, it's probably the people in power (but then, I suppose, whos going to do the tapping?)

Sand wrote:
    Oh the tragedy, attention seeker seeking attention denied attention. Hell have his chat with Davina anyway where hell be able to get on his soapbox.

No he won't. There is a UK law that forbids political discussion on TV unless there is a counterpoint there to argue what is said.

Goodshape wrote:
    Personally I think it's fairly disgraceful. If anyone deserves to be tapped, it's probably the people in power

What if M15 were disposed to one political party. Lets say Tony for example. Now Tony knows that his main opposition MP is actually an alcoholic as they tapped thier phone conversations to AA. He leaks that to the press and the MP has to resign.

Of course this is just a made up senario and would never really happen because all politicans are above reproach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No he won't. There is a UK law that forbids political discussion on TV unless there is a counterpoint there to argue what is said.

/me shrugs. Poor George, I guess all he gets is the publicity all for himself then.
    Of course this is just a made up senario and would never really happen because all politicans are above reproach.

So they should be tapped then - I cant imagine M15 pay a blind bit of heed to bans on bugging MPs when it comes to Adams and Co. The potential for abuse of power always lies in the hands of the PM regardless of what form that abuse may take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In 1997, about half of Labour's MPs were shown their MI5 files, some quite thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

They've been bugging SF for years.

Now they're trying to legitimise it.

Typical Brits.

Advertisement