Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles / Damp Floor

Options
  • 16-01-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what type of tiles would be best on a floor that could possibly become damp every now and again?

Is that any treatment that could be done to protect the tiles ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Ive got a wall in my bathroom that gets mouldy if its not washed every few days. Im only after putting a vent in there so thought the problem would go away once a bit of air was floating around but it would seem not.
    Im planning on tiling over where the mould grows worst - its on one wall in one spot - and hopefully by doing the DIY equivalent of putting my head int eh sand the problem will go away.
    Other than that, I am aware I have been of absolutely no help and I look forward to any constructive post on the topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chichograsso

hello lads

The first post asks about a floor that might get damp ever now and again - do you mean get damp from above or underneath. If its getting damp from under the tiling upwards the bad news is that over time, it will corrode the adhesive and the tiles will lift. You need to sort out the problems with the damp getting in, tiling over a problem will not resolve it, it might even make it worse.

Which leads us to the second poster, again you have an issue with water getting into the wall where the mould is growing. The water must be coming from either the roof, through the wall or a leaking pipe or waste. You need to sort that out forst, then tile the wall if you want.

If you have anymore questions post them up here and Ill do my best to answer them.

Regards

Ronan
    www.dialatiler.com

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

we just tiled our hall and bathroom,not finished yet,but I want to use white grout but other half says no as the cement he used to stick tiles on floor would be better.However I dont think it would look finished properly
    what do you think Ronan??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

hello lads

The first post asks about a floor that might get damp ever now and again - do you mean get damp from above or underneath. If its getting damp from under the tiling upwards the bad news is that over time, it will corrode the adhesive and the tiles will lift. You need to sort out the problems with the damp getting in, tiling over a problem will not resolve it, it might even make it worse.

Which leads us to the second poster, again you have an issue with water getting into the wall where the mould is growing. The water must be coming from either the roof, through the wall or a leaking pipe or waste. You need to sort that out forst, then tile the wall if you want.

If you have anymore questions post them up here and Ill do my best to answer them.

Regards

Ronan
    www.dialatiler.com

its rising damp through the slab... only appears around the corners of the room in really wet weather and then dries out a day or two later. I am going to get it sorted once the weather dries up and the garden can be dug out as a pernament fix. Would waterproof grout help in the short term ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

valerie wrote:
    we just tiled our hall and bathroom,not finished yet,but I want to use white grout but other half says no as the cement he used to stick tiles on floor would be better.However I dont think it would look finished properly
    what do you think Ronan??:confused:

if by the cement he used to stick the tiles to the floor you mean adhesive - there is no way you could grout with that - apart from your fear of it not looking finished(it wont)- it does not have the same properties as grout.

i dont know about using white on a floor though, ive never used it or seen it done - others might be able to comment on that, but i feel it would just require more cleaning and probably may never look clean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement