Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mythbusters

Options
  • 16-01-2006 10:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the episode whereby they tested the myth that going underwater would save you from a gunshot?Various weapons were tested from an old muzzle-loading winchester up to a Barrat .50,the results were surprising..any supersonic round distintegrated on impact with with the water and would not have been lethal below a foot or so of water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah i saw it, what a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Years ago I fired into a stream by me at a sheat of metal on the bed - had wondered why it didn't seem to hit it at all :rolleyes:

Got small fish with the shotgun alright - hadn't a mark on them so must have been the shock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

the 50 cal was an armor piercing round as were the larger cals they are designed to shatter after piercing the armor skin surface tension on the water acts in the same mannor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

That episode has been hotly debated over here, and the general consensus is that they set up the test wrong. the distance between the muzzle and the water need to be greater. Now I'm yet to see the episode so I cant comment but the discussion was between some armors and gunsmiths.

I guess I'll really have to look out for this episode:rolleyes:

Babble: might be worth sending them a mail - they revisit any tests they've done that the viewers say they got wrong and do a special show on it.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

thelurcher wrote:
    Years ago I fired into a stream by me at a sheat of metal on the bed - had wondered why it didn't seem to hit it at all :rolleyes:

Got small fish with the shotgun alright - hadn't a mark on them so must have been the shock?

The kinetic energy of the shotgun blast drives the oxygen out of the water and stupifies the fish,its the same as fishing with dynamite(very sporting!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

thelurcher wrote:

You chould ave missed completly due to the way light refract in water you might ave missed
    to see what imean put a straw in a glass and look at it from the side

Scout - that's what we put it down to at first but the sheet of metal was big enough that we should have hit it.

Long time ago Degsy :rolleyes: wouldn't do it again - mainly because the stream is so poluted now it barely supports life - mink did a fair amount of damage as well - but they've been sorted :cool:
    EPA crowd are sampling the water but seem to do SFA about it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i saw that episode and that really was surprisng...
    its not the first gun related myth they covered either

• Advertisement

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    i saw that episode and that really was surprisng...
    its not the first gun related myth they covered either

Yeah,they had a show testing the myth that the mafia used bullets made out of ICE to perform assasinations on the grounds that it wouldnt leave a bullet to be forensicaly tested...guess what....?

Yep..busted!

thelurcher wrote:
    Scout - that's what we put it down to at first but the sheet of metal was big enough that we should have hit it.

Long time ago Degsy :rolleyes: wouldn't do it again - mainly because the stream is so poluted now it barely supports life - mink did a fair amount of damage as well - but they've been sorted :cool:
    EPA crowd are sampling the water but seem to do SFA about it :mad:

I wasnt saying shooting the fish was unsporting,fair play if you get one!The only problem is if you rupture the fishes swim bladder it will sink and you wont have em for dinner.

Advertisement