Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart 6mb extended until feb 15th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Very nice of them yes, or maybe they are still not sure of the future price mark up or they still want to see what other isps are gonna offer etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

they're smart guys, monitor the competition, then beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

very 'smart' alright...

Just like their advert with the big hot air baloon - resembles many of their product offerings... FULL OF HOT AIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

very 'smart' alright...

Just like their advert with the big hot air baloon - resembles many of their product offerings... FULL OF HOT AIR

What on earth are you talking about? I have Smart 2 weeks now and it's bloody fantastic!

I <3 Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

very 'smart' alright...

Whatever else you may accuse Smart of, being full of hot air is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Gwan teh Smart !! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

yeah. they are like one of the best broadband companies in ireland at the moment. they have great deals and follow through on them, how does that make them full of hot air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I suppose you could accuse them of being well behind in their rollout plan, but that has been dealt with fairly gracefully and truthfully. They're not exactly operating in a friendly environment after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

eth0_ wrote:
    What on earth are you talking about? I have Smart 2 weeks now and it's bloody fantastic!

He doesn't (or chooses not to) understand why Smart only offer free line rental on the exchanges where they offer services. I have explained to him why in two seperate threads.

Using his understanding, I can sue Irish rail as I can not get a train to Donegal. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

paulm17781 wrote:
    He doesn't (or chooses not to) understand why Smart only offer free line rental on the exchanges where they offer services. I have explained to him why in two seperate threads.

Using his understanding, I can sue Irish rail as I can not get a train to Donegal. :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't worry about it. He also maintains that Gaelic Telecom (aka Imagine) broadband is great value:)

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it. He also maintains that Gaelic Telecom (aka Imagine) broadband is great value:)

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

eth0_ wrote:
    What on earth are you talking about?

I think he may be talking about there roll out.. 100,000 signed up, only 5,000 connected !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

very 'smart' alright...

I have never being with a better isp and this is my 3rd, their customer support rocks both on and offline too.

I think he may be talking about there roll out.. 100,000 signed up, only 5,000 connected !!

I'm pretty certain you are way off. How could Smart have signed up 100,000 when there are about a grand total of 300,000 BB users in Ireland?

I'm also pretty certain he is yet to answer if he works for Imagine/Gaelic telecom or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The reason smart are doing this is because eircom refused to release a load of peoples lines before Xmas, so they are extending the offer so those people who are just being connected now will get a lash @ the 6Mb. Now if thats not looking after your customers I dont know what is.

I have to agree with Anarchist, I have never delt with such a good ISP. The service is perfect and the customer service is above what I would expect from any company.

S.

I answered before, I don't work for any telecoms company.

I've asked Smart a few times for Broadband but they haven't been able to provide ANY service to me, though Gaelic Telecom were able to. I'm happy with their service of €20 a month which is the lowest price I know of, with same speeds as Eircom. I have my own router before ye pipe up again up hiring that. Ok, fair enough I had to switch my phone service over to them as well - but that is cheaper than eircom as well

So smart are basically advertising products which most people cannot actually avail of. Doesn't seem very SMART to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Slightly off topic but Do you have to have your eircom line live to sign up with smart or can they connent you..

I assume the answers is you have to port accross from eircom. Correct ?

You need an Eircon line in place to get Smart.

Thirdmantackle, there are plenty of places that Gaelic/Imagine can not offer BB. Perhaps you should berate them too.

BT linerental/BB -> €40
    Imagine linerental/BB -> €47.49 (minimum amount)

BT calls are cheaper too. You could have given the €7.49 to your club yourself which is probably more than you 'give' through Gaelic telecom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

as good as smart are its just so annoying that they are only available in a handfull of lucky exchanges in the country, if smart were in my area I would jump in a second but I doubt they will ever get to me or most other people outside of a big city or large town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

of course they will.
    did eircom get to everyone at the start of their rollout?
    patience.

• Advertisement

So smart are basically advertising products which most people cannot actually avail of. Doesn't seem very SMART to me?

You really don't seem to be able to absorb factual information!
    Smart will only enable exchanges that are going to make them money - this is a basic tenet of business you know...they're not going to plough a stack of cash into running fibre to and putting DSLAM equipment into an exchange if there aren't enough customers to sustain it?

Understand??

Looking at the exchanges they cover in Dublin alone, their service must be available to 3/4 the population of Dublin, which is a LOT of people!

If you're happy with Imagine, why do you keep coming on here and slagging off Smart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, just like car companies advertise on tv to people who don't have any driving licences, just like toy companies advertise during childrens tv programs.
    advertising creates awareness, creates demand.
    you're not the smartest cookie in the box are you? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

yeah, just like car companies advertise on tv to people who don't have any driving licences, just like toy companies advertise during childrens tv programs.
    advertising creates awareness, creates demand.
    you're not the smartest cookie in the box are you? :rolleyes:

And I presume that people whose line does not pass for bb see Imagine ads? Quite shocking really:rolleyes:

Smart may not be perfect but they are obviously attempting to be very customer friendly and it is very nice as a customer to be pleasantly surprised by something like this:)

Customers of other isps should be grateful to Smart because of the competition and innovation they are bringing to the bb market.

Ok, they say I'll get free line rental if I'm one of the first 100,000 customers - thats great except they cannot offer that to me until they unbundle my exchange which will probably never happen...

I don't use my landline, so the line rental I pay is really to ensure I can get broadband. so my service is costing me €40 per month. Can any company beat that?

Answers on the back of a fiver to me, please

Its not magic, its just ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's not costing you €40 a month, it's costing you €19.99 + €24.18 a month, which is €44.17.

I think we've understood that you can't get Smart's broadband. So what?

I don't use my landline, so the line rental I pay is really to ensure I can get broadband. so my service is costing me €40 per month. Can any company beat that?

Magical use of mathematics here. BT will beat any offer imagine have. No question. I think you need to understand the telecoms industry a bit better to grasp why Smart don't offer you services.

Note: I have had my share of problems with BT. I do not use them and am not a fan. They are still cheaper than Imagine though.

If you can show me how, then I will switch

It is in this thread atleast twice.

BT -> 40 euro line rental/BB
    Imagine -> 27.49 Linerental and callpackage. 19.99 BB.

Note: I do not count 'Timed' products as they are s***e.

*BANGS HEAD OFF BRICK WALL*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Imagine will not let you switch. A careful reading of their Terms and Conditions will tell you that you can only give a months notice to terminate their Broadband package after the 6 months are up ...... therefore the minimum contract is 7 months and one day but you will pay for the full 8 months anyway so you may as well use it up.

Advertisement