Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart 6mb extended until feb 15th

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Imagine will not let you switch. A careful reading of their Terms and Conditions will tell you that you can only give a months notice to terminate their Broadband package after the 6 months are up ...... therefore the minimum contract is 7 months and one day but you will pay for the full 8 months anyway so you may as well use it up.

We all tried to tell you all this and how BT was cheaper when you came looking for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ok, they say I'll get free line rental if I'm one of the first 100,000 customers - thats great except they cannot offer that to me until they unbundle my exchange
    This is correct. Why do you have a problem with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

WizZard wrote:
    This is correct. Why do you have a problem with it?

Well it appears theya re full of hot air. I was on the phone to a sales rep there who told me they have a new line coming out for gamers. 2Mb uplink and downlink. Now, the site listed by the OP has one of their tech experts categorically stating that they can't physically supply that speed on the uplink....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Well the tech was correct. The ADSL2+ specifications state that 1Mb is the max upstream. Annex M to the spec raises that to 3.5Mb. However, depending on the DSLAMs they use they could potentially offer 2Mb up. Some equipment can utilitse non-standard upstream speeds.

2Mb/2Mb would be SDSL, but I don't think Smart have plans on bringing out. Although it would be great. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

WizZard wrote:
    Well the tech was correct. The ADSL2+ specifications state that 1Mb is the max upstream. Annex M to the spec raises that to 3.5Mb. However, depending on the DSLAMs they use they could potentially offer 2Mb up. Some equipment can utilitse non-standard upstream speeds.

2Mb/2Mb would be SDSL, but I don't think Smart have plans on bringing out. Although it would be great. ;)

Oh the thoughts of xbox live with no lag. That'll be the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Here is the info I can find about the BT packages. I'll save €20 over the first four months, but then pay €10 extra a month after that (ie, I don't save a cent). Plus it'll cost me €50 to get it switched

€15 per month for the first 4 months

€30 per month for every month thereafter

Reduced one-time connection fee €50

Six month minimum term

So is it worth me switching at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Here is the info I can find about the BT packages.

wrong package, try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Here is the info I can find about the BT packages. I'll save €20 over the first four months, but then pay €10 extra a month after that (ie, I don't save a cent). Plus it'll cost me €50 to get it switched

€15 per month for the first 4 months

€30 per month for every month thereafter

Reduced one-time connection fee €50

Six month minimum term

So is it worth me switching at all?
    How many times does it have to be explained?
    The biggest saving is their BB and line rental bundle.
    €40 p/m including line rental.

Dear Mr. Tackle,

please read what is written on this very thread several times. You can not judge the cost of a package solely by the cost of the broadband. You said yourself
    Mr. Tackle wrote:
    I don't use my landline, so the line rental I pay is really to ensure I can get broadband

so the only way to save money is by using bundles. We have said how the BT 1Mb and line rental package will cost €40, it is all over the BT website, it bothers me that you fail to grasp this.

As for the €50 connection charge, that is your fault. When you first asked what package we all said BT and you said
    Mr. Tackle wrote:
    do ye work for BT or something??

You can see how your refusal to listen to us has infact wasted more money for you. Before you post how "Gaelic telecom give money to your GAA club". Please realise that the money you save with BT you can give to your club, it will most likely to be more than Gaelic Telecom give them.

If you have any more question please re-read this whole thread as it has all been posted several times before.

Love,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd rather give my money to eircom than to smart tbh.

i've seen their adsl working and it's astonishing, but the way they signed us up for home phone calls will never be forgiven.

smart ring
    i pick up the phone
    smartarse: goodday sir, just wondering do you know you can save blah blah would you like to sign up for smart.
    me: erm, to be honest i don't pay the bill so you're either going have to call back later when the bill payer is in or send out some information.
    smartarse: okay no problem.

a month later a envelope with smart on the outside arrived, i thought it was the information i had asked for, instead it was a bill for the calls we had made from the date of the phone call, and we had gotten other bills too, maybe 3 or 4 even after ringing them up saying we never signed up after each bill came.

of course they tried to blacken my dad's name as he refused to pay the bill and it was only with my dad's threat of legal action that they dropped the charges.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    i'd rather give my money to eircom than to smart tbh.

i've seen their adsl working and it's astonishing, but the way they signed us up for home phone calls will never be forgiven.

<snip>

Just about every CPS Telco in Ireland do this. It is good to see our valiant regulator taking action.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Draylor

Cremo wrote:
    smart ring
    i pick up the phone
    smartarse: goodday sir, just wondering do you know you can save blah blah would you like to sign up for smart.
    Only 1 call? Lucky you.

I lost count after about a dozen. Bunch of cowboys with broken auto-diallers, I wont be going anywhere near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Mr Tackle, Cremo and Draylor - please stop thread spoiling. This thread is about Smart upgrading their DSL lines, not for you to vent your spleens or demonstrate your inability to understand information (Mr Tackle).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

Ahooy-hoy,

Just want to weigh in with my opinion on Smart, having been a BB customer for nearly 2 months now. So far it's been a cracking service, the BB has been great for web surfing and gaming, my 2 main uses.

Also, they activated the line for me at no extra cost. I can't really tell from the earlier posts if this is unusual or not so apologies if it isn't. Though the linework was in place, there had never been a phone number assigned to our apartment (Dublin, Portobello). Smart took care of the activation at no extra cost to me, which I can only assume saved me a few quid anyhow!

Sweet news about the 6meg too. I'm aware of the reasons behind it and am well chuffed at the chance for an extra trial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Eircom had a line enabling promotion where existing lines were enabled for free. I believe they've dropped that promotion now.

Advertisement