Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The get rid of Ronaldo thread

• 16-01-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Cristiano Ronaldo is doing my head in. The guy is not a team player and to top it off he doesn't even have the skills to go it alone. The guys a glory hunter and you can see the frustration of the other united players when he does his usual riverdance tricks and then falls over. He has is occasional spot of brilliance but its just not enough and all this talk of him having great potential is bull.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Gegerty wrote:
    The guy is not a team player and to top it off he doesn't even have the skills to go it alone. The guys a glory hunter and you can see the frustration of the other united players when he does his usual riverdance tricks and then falls over. He has is occasional spot of brilliance but its just not enough and all this talk of him having great potential is bull.

And with that ringing endorsement, you're only looking for...
    Gegerty wrote:
    He's worth £25 million easily

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He's worth £25 million easily, that'll get us 2 decent wingers.

Dream on. Even if he was worth 25 million, that wouldn't get two wingers of the calibre United need to challenge in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I couldn't see too many clubs queuing up to pay £25 million for him. He drives me nuts as well, he seem totally incapable of doing the most basic things such as passing the ball to a teammate standing a couple of yards away from him. His crossing is diabolical, almost every attempted cross he makes is cleared by the first defender, half the time the ball barely gets off the ground.

The is no doubt he has a lot of technical ability and his skill can be brilliant to watch, he just seems to have a pea brain. Even some of his free kicks are astonishing, he tries to shoot from 40 yards out with the outside of his foot, only to send the ball a mile wide.

I really think he needs to be pulled to one side and to have stern words directed his way, he is without doubt the most wasteful player in possession of the ball I have seen in a long time.

He reminds me of when we were kids having a game in the field and there'd always be one kid who thought he could beat everybody two or three times, would never pass the ball and would shoot from anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have to agree that he has been a very frustrating player to watch this season (and last). He has been lacking attacking end product and I've seen multiple situations where he leaves the team in trouble by not bothering to track back. I'd like to seem him spending more time on the bench as whoever comes in instead will give more to the team overall. He'd probably just end up sulking and playing even worse but eventually he might cop himself on.

As for him being worth £25m, you must be joking. United would really struggle to get £10m for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think all his flaws can be work on and he will improve to become the complete winger then you'll be eating your words. It seems that he will learn the hard way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Lemlin wrote:
    Dream on. Even if he was worth 25 million, that wouldn't get two wingers of the calibre United need to challenge in Europe.

12 million will buy a decent player. Just because Chelsea go out splashing their money about doesn't mean that 25 million is the cost of a decent player. Obviously 12 million won't buy you one of the obvious players that are guaranteed good from the start but it'll get you someone decent.

Ronaldo would get 25 million from the likes of Chelsea, Barca or Real. Managers seem to see something in him but he's not working for united thats for sure and I don't see any potential in him at all.

Dempsey wrote:
    I think all his flaws can be work on and he will improve to become the complete winger then you'll be eating your words. It seems that he will learn the hard way

I do believe that he will, one day, be a great player. Its looking like its going to take a while though and, the question is, can United wait that long? They need their players to start performing quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i dont think united can wait that long
    i personally think we should get joaquin from Real Betis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Gegerty wrote:
    12 million will buy a decent player. Just because Chelsea go out splashing their money about doesn't mean that 25 million is the cost of a decent player. Obviously 12 million won't buy you one of the obvious players that are guaranteed good from the start but it'll get you someone decent.

Ronaldo would get 25 million from the likes of Chelsea, Barca or Real. Managers seem to see something in him but he's not working for united thats for sure and I don't see any potential in him at all.
    LOL, you're a funny man.
    With rumours of United being the richest team in the world and Gill saying United will buy big in the Summer, ye will have to pay Chelsea prices I'm afraid. So for a decent winger you're looking at 15mil unless he's young, untested or contract expiring.

Which managers see something in him? He was valued as a kid, as were Pongolle and Le Tellac, for his potential. So far I'd say he's improved the most of those three but not as much as would have been hoped. At most he's worth 10 million but you won't see Chelsea, Barca or Real in the queue.

Keep posting though, this is funny :)

25 million is a bit optimistic now that i think of it :p I'd even go so far as to say don't wait to sell him, even Park is a better replacement. To see him come on and pass the ball around, track back and tackle when he loses the ball and even sets up some cracking goals, its a breath of fresh air and is more in tune with what makes united a great team.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I thought this thread was a troll at first but now you're serious its even funnier.

So Ronaldo's crap eh? No potential eh? But he's worth £25 million?

And you'd get two decent wingers (and by decent I presume you mean better than Ronalod) for the same amount.

If that happens, Old Trafford must have a big window for ManYoo to see the buying (and selling) clubs coming...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Agree entirely except for the price. More like 10 or so they would get.

If I was fergie I would drop him for about 10 games, but then again they only have Park as a a replacement and he hasnt really impressed at all so they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

So Ronaldo's crap eh? No potential eh?

Thats what I'm saying yes. Tell me whats good about him and where's the potential?
    But he's worth £25 million?

OK 25 million is very optimistic i agree. :p
    And you'd get two decent wingers (and by decent I presume you mean better than Ronalod) for the same amount.

What buys a decent winger in your opinion? There's plenty of skill out there that doesn't cost the sun. By decent I mean not 25 millions worth obviously.

What buys a decent winger in your opinion? There's plenty of skill out there that doesn't cost the sun. By decent I mean not 25 millions worth obviously.

Well Chelsea paid 17 million for Duff and 12 million I think it was for Robben. They're the calibre of player United should be looking at.

Gegerty wrote:

I don't have a problem with the sentiment, I just think its hilarious that you write off Ronaldo as sh1t, but obviously think that nobody else has noticed, or else how are you gonna get two players in for the money you get for one?

Ronaldo won't fetch more than £10m, so you'll get one for one. In fact, you'll probably be lucky to get one for one, as any player good enough to appear on Mourinho's radar will prompt Chelsea to attempt to outbid Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Cristiano Aveiro (Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is his full name), is a talent, but a raw and uncontrolled talent. Nearly 21 now, he has yet to play with consistency. However, I think he gets a hard time even from his own fans. I think that he could be a better player, and a very good and dengerous attacking player, but he needs to have the right type of coaching. Perhaps with his Father's death etc, Ferguson and the coaching staff are allowing him extra "space" this year. But improvement will be needed next season if he is to develop as a stalwart of the team.

His only saving grace at the moment is that Man U arent strong on the left as Giggs is now really showing his age - its difficult to be a winger at 32. And Cristiano can also play on the left and can use his left foot, plus he's reasonably decent in the air (ala Kilbane, but better).

If Man U compare their wingers with Chelsea's, Robben, Duff, Wright-Phillips, they are well behind, but is everybody else.

All the teams are using width differently. Man U, like most teams, could get by with having one brilliant winger on the field at any one point in time (probably two in the squad), and it remains to be seen if Aveiro will develop into that.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can I ask anybody to explain the following logic,
    He has is occasional spot of brilliance but its just not enough and all this talk of him having great potential is bull.
    He's worth £25 million easily, that'll get us 2 decent wingers.

Anybody?
    I think we'd get 25 million if we try to sell him after the world cup without a doubt, but I still wouldn't sell him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

He definitely has the natural ability and the talent to be a great player, his shortfallings are areas of the game that can be improved. He really needs to be able to cross a ball and learn to do the simple things in the game, he also needs to use his head a bit more, some of the decisions he makes are mind boggling.

What puzzles me is that the United coaching staff have not been able to improve any of these aspects of his game, surely it's not that difficult to improve a players ability to cross a ball, especially since it's something that he would do every day of his footballing life whether it be in training or in matches.

I don't have a problem with the sentiment, I just think its hilarious that you write off Ronaldo as sh1t, but obviously think that nobody else has noticed, or else how are you gonna get two players in for the money you get for one?

Ronaldo won't fetch more than £10m, so you'll get one for one. In fact, you'll probably be lucky to get one for one, as any player good enough to appear on Mourinho's radar will prompt Chelsea to attempt to outbid Utd.

Edited the 25 million. Agreed Chelsea have first pickings and we're all left with the rest but that doesn't mean we can forget about getting a decent winger for 12 million or there abouts. Mourinho said before christmas they only have need for 1 player in the January transfer window if at all (can't remember but think he was talking about a defender?) because he's happy with his squad as it is. Maybe he'd buy up a decent player just to stop united buying but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He is the new breed of winger. And remember he is only 20?

Out of all the new wingers out there.....at this moment in time would you rather?

A)Arjen Robben
    B)Shaun Wright Phillips
    C)Joe Cole

I think I'd take Ronaldo anyday to be fair. He has technical ability to put these three to shame.

He has a good 13 years more in his career. You must think of how the game has developed, running up the wing then lobbing in a ball doesnt cut it anymore, you have goalkeepers adept in catching balls from crosses, you have centre halfs who just hoop out balls with their heads.

Ask a centre half would he ratherhave a ball in the air or have w inger cut in and slide a ball along the ground, he will tell you option A.

I am a Leeds United fan, but ws united back when i was like in primary school, and of al lthe wingers united ever had in my time, Giggs is the only one, and Beckham perhaps who I think out do Ronaldo.

And if you asked any football pundit to pick there top 11 side I'd say hed figure in most of them.

Fergie isnt a lemon you know, when I watch Ronaldo he is either class or poor, but when he is class, he wins you matches,with his link up play and torment of other defences.

Give the bloke a chance, hes still a young guy.

• Advertisement

Gegerty wrote:
    Maybe he'd buy up a decent player just to stop united buying but I doubt it.

Jon Obi Mikel.
    Michael Essien
    SWP

Now they're rumoured to be interested in Simao, and have bid £3m more than Arsenal for Theo Walcott. I think there is every reason to believe Chelsea will try to deny playing resources to a competitor for the league.

Give the bloke a chance, hes still a young guy.

Thats the problem, we can't afford to give the guy a chance. With Liverpool set to leap frog us into second place there's no room for giving players a chance, not when you're putting them out for almost every game. If you were to say stick him on the bench and let him on and show us what he's made of every now and then I'd say fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Lemlin wrote:
    I do believe that he will, one day, be a great player. Its looking like its going to take a while though and, the question is, can United wait that long? They need their players to start performing quickly.

he has had a bad year his dad has died he has been up on a rape charge can anyone honestly tell me they could perform week in week out in the premiership after that happened to them. he is still only twenty as well there is still 11 or 12 seasons in him yet. a couple of weeks ago it was john o shea now ronaldo. find something more constructive to do with your time than slag off professional football players. next season will be his year hopefully. im aimin this at all you united haters out there

chiller wrote:
    he has had a bad year his dad has died he has been up on a rape charge can anyone honestly tell me they could perform week in week out in the premiership after that happened to them. he is still only twenty as well there is still 11 or 12 seasons in him yet. a couple of weeks ago it was john o shea now ronaldo. find something more constructive to do with your time than slag off professional football players. next season will be his year hopefully. im aimin this at all you united haters out there

I hope you're right I'd like nothing more than to eat my words next season but at the very least we need a back up competing for his place. Maybe if he had to fight for his place he might cut out all the fancy foot movements and get on with playing football. I think its his style though i can't see that side of him changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I too get frustrated with him but if he can sort his crosses out (and stop cutting inside so much) he'll be a brilliant player.
    He can beat men (and like Rooney can hold onto the ball when you dont give him a chance to), has a decent shot, decent in the air and has pace. All imo he is lacking to be close to a perfect winger is the ability to cross and to start picking the right options going forward. You may complain that he doesnt track back but personally i want my wingers going forward 9 times outta 10 rather than tracking back (unless playing a good winger that needs doubling up on).
    Both will take work but not so much that the coaching team at manu cant do it.

The lad is 20 and thrown into the deepend of the Premiership followed by the death of his dad and rape charges. I dont want him going anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well, you can't deny that the boy has talent.

As B-K-Dzr says, the impetuousity and over-playing of trickery can be ironed out by good coaching.

But the process would be sped up by having genuine competition for his place, which just isn't there at the minute.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    I too get frustrated with him but if he can sort his crosses out (and stop cutting inside so much) he'll be a brilliant player.
    He can beat men (and like Rooney can hold onto the ball when you dont give him a chance to), has a decent shot, decent in the air and has pace. All imo he is lacking to be close to a perfect winger is the ability to cross and to start picking the right options going forward. You may complain that he doesnt track back but personally i want my wingers going forward 9 times outta 10 rather than tracking back (unless playing a good winger that needs doubling up on).
    Both will take work but not so much that the coaching team at manu cant do it.

The lad is 20 and thrown into the deepend of the Premiership followed by the death of his dad and rape charges. I dont want him going anywhere!

exactly ronaldo is world class was named world yong player of the year by fifa in 2005 he scored ten goals last season, had he got a few more i would have call that a perfect season he has only hit three this season, four months left though plenty of time to shine and show how good he really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

While we're on the subject of useless players I think United should sell Silvestre for £30 million and buy Terry as his replacement. Fletcher has to go for £35 million, Gerrard being the replacement here.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I honestly think you'd get closer to £40mil + Gattuso maybe for Silvestre from Milan :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

And remember he is only 20

Really...Fcuk me, I thought he was 34 the other day .....:rolleyes:

The Muppet wrote:
    While we're on the subject of useless players I think United should sell Silvestre for £30 million and buy Terry as his replacement. Fletcher has to go for £35 million, Gerrard being the replacement here.:)

ar eh now lads ckkkkalm down yis divvies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Out of all the new wingers out there.....at this moment in time would you rather?

A)Arjen Robben
    B)Shaun Wright Phillips
    C)Joe Cole

I think I'd take Ronaldo anyday to be fair. He has technical ability to put these three to shame.

I'd have Robben. I'm not going to disagree that Ronaldo is very talented - I look at his skill sometimes and think 'this guy is amazing' but most of the time i cant stand it when he gets the ball (or especially when he goes to take a corner or free kick). I know he has had a hard time of late but he just isn't performing. Robben isn't back to his best but IMO he is performing better than Ronaldo at this moment in time (and would also have robben in my team even if they were both performing brilliant - i think he has just as much technical ability as Ronaldo and is an all round better player)

I'm not an anti-united man either before u ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

he is a fustrating player. theres so much of his game i despise. however i think he has way too much potential to be off loading just yet.

my question would be, do people think the system at united is affecting him? in this system hes not an out and out right winger, hes encouraged to roam. maybe because of this there isnt enough focus on beating the left back, or crossing. maybe he is working at it, but his crossing from play and set pieces does not look like its coming from a guy spending hours on the training ground perfecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

I am a Leeds United fan, but ws united back when i was like in primary school.
    :confused:

Anyway, I think Ronaldo obviously has talent (the goal he scored against Middlesboro) but it seems to me he is getting far too much leeway he consistently makes the same mistakes, and then 30 sec late repeats the same mistake again. He doesn't seem to be learning off the more experienced players for example when is the time to play a simple ball, and when to try something different. I was shocked that he didnt bother to track back against Benfica and more shocked that he wasn't told by the other players or the management to track back like everyone else

robz150 wrote:
    I was shocked that he didnt bother to track back against Benfica and more shocked that he wasn't told by the other players or the management to track back like everyone else

If I'm thinking about the same game then even Rooney was having a go at him. And wasn't that the game when Giggs was taken off he shouted "what about that fecker over there (or something similar :) )" referring to Ronaldo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cant stand Ronaldo. Tries to run with the ball at every chance and it very rarely comes off. Sure, when it does, its nice to watch...but then he has to cross it, which again, rarely comes off.

He also completely disregards his defensive duties. His tricks are nice to watch but tricks dont make a player world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I am a Leeds United fan, but ws united back when i was like in primary school, and of al lthe wingers united ever had in my time, Giggs is the only one, and Beckham perhaps who I think out do Ronaldo.
    What about the best right winger United had .Kanchelskis ?
    He was a true winger,fast,good dribbler,2 good feet,and clever.
    That guy Ronaldo is a waster.
    'Give him time,give him time' I hear people say.
    He will never be any good because he is a brainless child.
    He has no footballing brain and that is something you either have or dont have,it cant be coached.
    Let it not be forgotten that his true value when United bought him was 6m pounds not the inflated 12m they paid,half of which was tacked on.
    He can be good at times but its about consistency and he doesnt have it.
    Worth 10m max.

"despite comparisons with the likes of former favourite David Beckham and Brazilian star Ronaldinho"

LOL!! Exactly what has he got in common with Beckham? I suppose you could call him a crap version of Ronaldinho :p

he plays on the left he plays on the right that boy ronaldo makes beckham look ****e take that ronaldo haters give him a year or too milan got rid of vieira when he was young arsenal got rid of cole one of the best strikers to grace the premiership. five premierships with united and a champions league medel to his name and he his still going strong and now vieira is playing for juve. big mistake if united sell him give him a year or two. he will have the last laugh and hopefully so will united

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

He does my head on when he just goes to round the whole opposition team ,when everybody know he cant do it at that time. He is agreat player but needs to learn to play WITH the team as against playing FOR the team. He does have bags of potential but maybe he should be rested more often to keep him fresh. That said,united dont really have rplacements at the minute to rest Ronaldo as much. After the passing away of his father, he was starting to get back on form again but in the last 2games or so, hes just stayed at the same level again, and now with that red card against him from Saturday who knows how it will affect the lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

He needs to learn how to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

he is looking bad cause when he loses the ball there is a big soft centre in the middle behind him where a scottish international and irish left back fill

he is young and inconsistent ..i wonder what a 21 yr old figo was like?? he was still playing for sporting lisbon

Ronaldo was the best winger on show at the last european championship(19 years old)...Robin was the worst....Yet robin has such a good midfield covering him he can afford to play crap like against arsenal but score on the break and look class. Also Ronaldo has a free role for his national side but can never have that for man utd unless they have quality in d centre and play 4-3-3 like Chelsea.

Ronaldo is class and i bet my bottom doller he would look world class in the current barcelona team as would Rooney and Van Nistelroy. And before you say it Peter Crouch wouldnt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Gegerty wrote:
    "despite comparisons with the likes of former favourite David Beckham and Brazilian star Ronaldinho"

LOL!! Exactly what has he got in common with Beckham? I suppose you could call him a crap version of Ronaldinho :p
    He's the antithesis of Beckham - pacy, full of tricks, but can't cross for his life and has no football brain.

He does have massive potential but he needs to sort his head out, try to look at the overall game, and work on his crossing. I think he has Robbie Keane syndrome at the moment, he's undroppable because there is no-one really to replace him (Park is still unproven) and this is going to his head - dropping him for a few games could give him a wake-up call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Park has also been injured since he got injured in the warm up against Burton and Scholes is still out with blurred vision (could move Fletch to the right and scholes in centre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lemlin wrote:

12 million would get you Gamst Pedersen and about 6 million change ;) There would be one player fit for United.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    12 million would get you Gamst Pedersen and about 6 million change ;) There would be one player fit for United.

kdjac

Mark Hughes wouldn't swap Gamst Pedersen for Ronaldo and a few million. And if United were to bid for Morten, they'd need 15 million IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yes, a thread will accomplish lots. Maybe Sir Alex browses boards in disguise and finds your idea brilliant.

Yes, a thread will accomplish lots. Maybe Sir Alex browses boards in disguise and finds your idea brilliant.

Well Eamonn Dunphy seems to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lemlin wrote:
    Mark Hughes wouldn't swap Gamst Pedersen for Ronaldo and a few million. And if United were to bid for Morten, they'd need 15 million IMO.

Would love to agree with you but ....well football doesnt work like that , its 15 if Chelsea want him (which they may if Robben goes) otherwise it be 6 or 7. Great player and one worthy of playing on the wing for United.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement