Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical rewiring

Options
  • 16-01-2006 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

got an estimate from an electrician for the rewiring of a 3 bedroom house. was quoted €6000+. and he wouldnt even patch things up afterwards ie: there would be wallpaper torn etc after the work was done.

is he taking the piss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

does sound steep to me alright. Would have thought this should be closer to 4 grand, but I could be wrong.

Is there anything non-standard about your house that may make this task more difficult than the norm? E.g. concrete walls all over?

You should always get 3 quotes for a decent sized job like this, so shop around and see how it fares up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Ferdi,

We got a rewire done last summer on a 3 bed semi (40 years old) in Dublin which cost about 6.5k. The walls had to be chased which did involve torn wallpaper and we had to take up all the laminate flooring upstairs so they could get under the floorboards and all the carpet downstairs. After the re-wire, they patched the chased-out channels in with bonding. It is a very messy job - we moved all our clothes and everything of worth out. We ended up with floorboards missing and holes in the walls where they got the sockets positions wrong. We had to completely re-decorate afterward.

For the 6.5k we got recessed lighting in hall,landing,bathroom,kitchen and dining room,6 phone points,5 tv points,loads of new sockets,wired for alarm,security light out front and back,light in attic, light in cupboard under stairs,carriage light in porch, kitchend re-wired for new fitted kitchen. I think that was everything. To be honest I would've paid 10k to get rid of all the dodgy sockets that were there - the place was ready to burn down at any minute!

Let me know if you need to know anything else...

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

It depends on what you want. They charge per point. I think the going rate is about €65 per double socket and €45 per lighting point ( Extra for downlighters ) An average sitting room with 4 sockets 1 ceiling rose, 1 tv and 1 phone point is about €400.
    The price seems steep . ask him for a breakdown and what he charges per point. Don't forget the Fuseboard is extra etc.

Advertisement