Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower leaking (found leak how to fix)

Options
  • 16-01-2006 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Ok The shower is again leaking. The leak is coming from the plug hole. I have used a rubber sealer but this only lasts a few months. Can anyone recommend a better sealer that I can apply around the plug seal. Also can I take out the plug and then re-seal. Its not the insde part of the plug as I can get those out. but I want to take out the outer part of the plug and then re-seal as I think the plumber didnt do a propper job in the fisrt place as it has always leaked!

regards
    Garyh3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Judean Reg

Take out the "plug hole" and run a bit of silicone around the inside rim of it. Put it back in place, put a washer underneath it, screw it back to nice and tight and replace the waste fitting and you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Thanks Judean Reg

Ah So the plug hole screws out !!!..... Will Try that tonight.

Is there any tools I can use so that I dont damage the plug or should it screw out by hand.

thanks

Garyh3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

if you need to hold the plug hole - just use a screw driver to hold it steady while you unscrew the bottom.

Just be carefull when tightening that you don't use too much force :D

Thanks for that I will see how easy it is to get out tonight.

Garyh3

OK Update for anyone interested...

Took out the waste fittings and the got a scredriver to unscrew... Yep it came out... Now when I unscrewed the plug I noticed that the more I unscrewed it the pipes under shower wanted to spring to the left (not just a little) So I made a hook out of an old hanger and hooked it to the waste pipe.

Then I took the plug out I notice that there was a big o'l rubber washer on the underside of the shower but not one on the top part were I screw back down (is this correct)???

So I cleaned everthing up and put down silicone on the washer and the thread and re-screwed the plug back being careful. However I now see why the plumber used a lot of sealer and why it leaking becuase when I re-screwed it down the lip of the plug was not flush with the shower. (it stick up one side like its missed threaded.) I tried it about 20 time and still the same result... So as a temp solution I put a lot of the white rubber sealer on the underside of the rim and then screwed it back down. Its not leaking YET but Im sure it will againas this is what I did last time.

Can I put a washer on top and screw down on that or should I get a new plug and see if that screws down flush.

• Advertisement
Advertisement