Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing antenna on eircom netopia wifi router?

• 16-01-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to improve the reception on my home wifi network.
    I have an eircom netopia 3347wg broadband router supporting 802.11g.

Apparently the easiest way to do this is to replace the antenna, but I'm not sure if the one on the netopia is detachable. I won't get to see until this evening, and I wouldn't mind placing my order today, so if anyone has their router handy and wouldn't mind checking I'd appreciate it.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions they're more than welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No.

A different aerial is only much use in an open plan office to "beam" the signal across from the wall (Flat array), or on a Chmney to link with your friend up to 5km away (MMDS type dish).

There are colinear aerials too, but not much good indoors.

Unless the aerial is on plug and socket (often reverse SMA type) you can't easily change it.

Try the Netopia somewhere else.

I don't like them. There are better easier to use Wireless ADSL routers (Dlink, Linksys etc, not Belkin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Just had a look at mine. It's not removable externally. You'll probably have to open it up to see if it can be removed from the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Thanks for your replies folks.

Yes, unfortunately the aerial on the router cannot be replaced, at least not without opening it.

Here's my problem, I have a home wifi network with two clients, a laptop which works flawlessly, and a media center which sometimes has trouble with the signal. The main PC is wired to the router.

Since I can't do much with the router, I checked my media center, and it has the SMA connector for the aerial. It's an omnidirectional aerial, similar to the one on the router. Would it be worth replacing that aerial with a directional one, or a wired one so that I could move it around?

They're about 30 euro on komplett, and I know it's a risk but I'd rather take an educated risk after consulting people than a blind choice :)

Directional: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300374&cks=PRL
    Omni-directional: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300373&cks=PRL

And another quick question, is there a place in Dublin where I could pick these up? I feel silly paying 10 euro shipping for a 30 euro product.

Thanks!!

Advertisement