Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish impact crater theory

Options
  • 16-01-2006 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

Ok, I know I'm going to get a hammering for this but seeing as a German Impact Geologist hasn't dismissed my theory out of hand (and recommends further investigation) I would like to get the opinions of more Irish experts please.

On my blog I posted my theory about a county Limerick asteroid crater on my blog a few months back. You'll see the impact geologists response in the comments section.

I did initially write it in a rather tongue-in-cheek fashion but after I read this paper (PDF) by Dr. Mike Simms I started wondering if it could possibly be true. I was amazed to see the projection lines from his bolide impact theory converging a mere few kilimoters away from the site I proposed.

Then when I started reading lately about the midlands orefield which seems to extend in a radial line from the newest zinc find in Pallasgreen in Limerick, and the high zinc content of asteroids like Eros,... well, it just threw more fuel onto the fire of my theory. Could we have had a small 'string of pearls' like impact similar to Shoemaker-Levy hit on Jupiter?

Please be gentle..... I have no background in geology :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Erm... this is the Archaeology forum, not geology... wanna move this Grimes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

You mean there's a geology forum? Oops, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

asteroid / astronomy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Ok, but I would have thought this kind of 'investigation' demanded the expertise of archaeologists and geologists over astronomers? Sorry if not.

Advertisement