Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer switches

Options
  • 16-01-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi.

I'm thinking of putting in recessed lights in our kitchen and hall. Would I have to lift the upstairs carpet & floorboards, or could I chase the plasterboard (perpendicular to the joists and at the joists) and just plaster over the wires?

I'd also like to replace the standard light switches in these rooms with "dimmer switches", you know, the ones where you can rotate the knob to reduce the light. Is it a simple matter of replacing the switches?

Has anybody else done this, or does anyone have any advice?

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

If putting in recessed lights it is better if you can pull up the floor boards.
    If however you cannot then it is quite easy to chase the plasterboard.
    I had to do it once as thee was a tiled bathroom over head.

Be careful drilling into the ceiling as you never know what cables or pipes are run up there.

Basically once you drill your holes you can feed the cables to the next spot. I had to chase the plaster board so that it passed underneath the joist. Then replastered afterwards.
    Simple job and actually easier than lifting floor boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

Thanks beldin. It's good to hear from someone who has done the same job before.

On the dimmer switches, I bought one yesterday and put it in. It is a simple swap of cover panel after all. I don't know why they aren't used everywhere - energy conservation etc as well as letting you set a comfortable light level. I might replace all my switches with them.

Breezzzzze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Be carefull of the load of the dimmer switch typically 200-300 watt. If each downlighter is 50 watts and you have say 8 on 1 dimmer (300 watt) then you are overloading the dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Breezzzzze wrote:
    Thanks beldin. It's good to hear from someone who has done the same job before.

On the dimmer switches, I bought one yesterday and put it in. It is a simple swap of cover panel after all. I don't know why they aren't used everywhere - energy conservation etc as well as letting you set a comfortable light level. I might replace all my switches with them.

Breezzzzze

I wonder if they really do save any energy. It depends on how they work?
    Anyone know if they do save energy or not? On a side issue, I prefer the ones that llow you switch on/off by pressing the knob in as well as allowing you to change levels by turning the knob. Some simpler ones have to be switched on/off by turning the knob all the way and that is a nuisance after a while.

Desdemona

Advertisement