Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven in Media Sting.

• 16-01-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

FA ROCKED BY ERIKSSON REVELATIONS
    The Football Association have been rocked by a series of revelations about England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson by a Sunday newspaper.

Eriksson reportedly told an undercover News of the World reporter - posing as a rich Arab - that he would quit as England coach if they win the World Cup this summer, and suggested he would be prepared to become manager of Aston Villa as part of a takeover bid.

An FA spokesman tonight said: "We want to reflect on the article in full before we make any formal comment."

Eriksson was contacted by the undercover News of the World reporter to see if he would be interested in coaching at a new football academy based in Dubai at some point in the future.

It is believed the Swede travelled to Dubai with the FA's approval.

The newspaper claims Eriksson, his agent Athole Still and lawyer Richard Des Voeux met the reporter, posing as an Arab, at an exclusive hotel in Dubai.

During the talks, Eriksson is alleged to have raised the idea of buying a club to the reporter.

He reportedly said "Aston Villa is for sale" before allegedly referring to the club's chairman Doug Ellis.

"The chairman is an old man today. He's sick."

He added: "Aston Villa will sell more shirts in one week than they did for the last 10 years."

Eriksson is also said to have suggested he could persuade England captain David Beckham to return to the Premiership from Real Madrid.

"I'll phone Beckham.

"Beckham and I, we have a relationship like that (he crossed his fingers). We are friends, but a lot of respect.

"He will come back tomorrow. And it's up to me to convince him that this is the right place to be."

The coach also made reference to England striker Michael Owen, who joined Newcastle in a £17million transfer from Madrid in August after a deal could not be struck with his former club Liverpool.

"I asked him if he was happy. He said 'not really with the club'."

Eriksson is under contract to England until 2008 but apparently suggested he could leave before then.

When the undercover reporter stated that he could not do 'two jobs', Eriksson responded: "No but everything is possible. But only at the end of the season."

When asked if he was genuinely interested or joking, he replied: "No I'm not joking."

He added: "After five-and-a-half years - it's a long time to be England manager.

"Anyway if I win the World Cup, I will leave, goodbye."

Eriksson also allegedly revealed details of his salary.

"I have two more years with the FA and there I have £3million net per year, plus bonuses.

"Now if I will leave the FA, I should like to have a contract of three years.

"I think (Chelsea manager Jose) Mourinho today.... is on five million net. I think he might be the highest paid today.

"That's the area you have to think about."

Eriksson's lawyer is said to have claimed there were "ways and means once Sven is happy of getting him out..."

The coach added: "If I just walk out and the next day I work for Aston Villa then they will ask for money."

Sven has issued an apology. The question I would ask is Why would a National Newspaper set out to humilaite and destabilise the National coach in the run up to a world cup they have a decent chance of winning. Is this sort of rubbish in the national Interest?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It sells papers, thats all they care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Muppet wrote:
    Sven has issued an apology. The question I would ask is Why would a National Newspaper set out to humilaite and destabilise the National coach in the run up to a world cup they have a decent chance of winning. Is this sort of rubbish in the national Interest?.

Thats exactly what I thought. Any fans of the England side who buy this paper should be ashamed of themselves. Imagine the backlash if the Herald did something like this to the Ireland manager. I would imagine that sales would plummet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Muppet wrote:
    The question I would ask is Why would a National Newspaper set out to humilaite and destabilise the National coach in the run up to a world cup they have a decent chance of winning. .
    The same Newspaper that will be urging the nation to get behind "Sven and the lads" when the summer comes...

It looks like this is backfiring on the News of the World.
    tbh, the sting didnt really bring up any major issues, although I wonder how O'Leary feels about the Villa remarks! :D

Sven has made clear he wants to try and win the WC. The public couldnt care less what he does afterwards if he succeeds.
    If he fails, they'll probably want him out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

whiskeyman wrote:
    tbh, the sting didnt really bring up any major issues, although I wonder how O'Leary feels about the Villa remarks! :D

Michael Own may not agree with you there, he is unlikely to be very happy, particulaly if he ends up getting grief from Newcastle Fans about his comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Wants the same as Mourinho? Why does Sven rate himself so highly as a manager? Was he class in the past at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

At least its better than there Achtung Surrender! headline the day before they played Germany in Euro96. Bring back Piers Morgan, he would have splashed a lot better on this. But i guess they'll drag this out a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, hes won a whole bunch of leagues and cups at stuff at Goteborg, Roma, Lazio, Benefica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Muppet wrote:
    Michael Own may not agree with you there, he is unlikely to be very happy, particulaly if he ends up getting grief from Newcastle Fans about his comments.
    In fairness, it's hardly news that Owen is unhappy at Newcastle. You only had to see him at the press conference when he was officially revealed as a new player. He wasn't exactly what you would call "over joyed" with the situation. Embarrassing nonetheless I suppose, but nothing new.

The Muppet wrote:
    With his recent injuries and Newcastle poor performance, I don't think anyone can blame him for saying he's "not happy with the club", even if he did say it or not.
    I'm sure he can spin it around that way.

I think you have to remember that this is a News of the World sting. Speaking to a few mates and family in England this morning, they couldnt care less about this story. The papers will try and drag it out, but nowt much will come from it.
    At this stage, they're used to such stories from the FA and Sven... all they want is the team to be fully fit and ready for the WC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

As has been said all ready the tabloids will do anything to sell papers. But allot of the tabloids all so feel that only an English man should manage England don’t they.

Obviously when things are going well the tabloids will jump on the band wagon again to sell papers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

The Muppet wrote:

there is 144 days to the world cup and i would believe any editor of a national newspaper would not allow that to be printed until after the world cup what if one of the high profiles players now decides not to play for his country because of comments made by the national coach. this is not the first time eirkison has made stupids comments and there is no way if i was one of the high profile players i would never trust him again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

chiller wrote:
    there is 144 days to the world cup and i would believe any editor of a national newspaper would not allow that to be printed until after the world cup what if one of the high profiles players now decides not to play for his country because of comments made by the national coach. this is not the first time eirkison has made stupids comments and there is no way if i was one of the high profile players i would never trust him again
    No speaky d Ingrish?

BaZmO* wrote:
    No speaky d Ingrish?

No posty on topico?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

chiller wrote:
    what if one of the high profiles players now decides not to play for his country because of comments made by the national coach.

Yeah that's going to happen. You seem to be under the misaprehension that these players play intentional football for the benefit of their manager, their fellow countrymen and generally anything you care to mention other than themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats exactly what I thought. Any fans of the England side who buy this paper should be ashamed of themselves. Imagine the backlash if the Herald did something like this to the Ireland manager. I would imagine that sales would plummet.
    There are millions of stupid people in the UK, as witnessed by the sales of the Sun and other daily and weekly tabloids. And tens of thousands in Ireland as judged not only by the sales of Irish tabloids, but by the sale of English tabloids!!

Many people call the Sindo a proper paper, yet did many stop buying it after it published the completely false story about an Irish citizen dying in a car crash in Russia with a prostitue in his car (when it was actually an interpreter)?

The point is I think you give "people" too much credit.

Back on topic, I really love the £3m and £5m a year net
    And people wonder why Sven is so successful in bedding burds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Many people call the Sindo a proper paper, yet did many stop buying it after it published the completely false story about an Irish citizen dying in a car crash in Russia with a prostitue in his car (when it was actually an interpreter)?

I'm not a sindo reader but I guess if they had to go making up a story about someone then at least it was about that total train-wreck of a human being (or should that be car wreck of a human being?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Pigman II wrote:
    I'm not a sindo reader but I guess if they had to go making up a story about someone then at least it was about that total train-wreck of a human being (or should that be car wreck of a human being?).

thats in very bad taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

two things...

first of all erikksson is a fool for falling for it and then talking so openly about players. even if this was a genuine meeting he has no right commenting on the reasons for michael owens transfer or beckhams unhappiness. the respect of these players is the main issue he is going to have to deal with.

and as mentioned above how this newspaper can "get behing the boys" come the WC is beyond me. on a saturday i would buy a tabloid for the sport but this has put me off this particular tabloid for good.

first of all erikksson is a fool for falling for it and then talking so openly about players. even if this was a genuine meeting he has no right commenting on the reasons for michael owens transfer or beckhams unhappiness. the respect of these players is the main issue he is going to have to deal with.

I dont think Sven is a fool for falling for it.
    If you know how the NOTW meticulously plan such stings with a huge budget and time, anyone would fall for it.
    More info on the "Fake Sheik" here.
    I do agree that he should have kept shut about individual players situations, hence the reason he's come out apologising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i dont see the problem. he sed he'll leave if they win the world cup. if he's after workin hard enough to get his team to be the best in the world, i thnk he's entitled to do watever the f**k he wants!

he also sed he could talk becks into goin to the premiereship. so wat? dont see where tha matters! he said Owen is unhappy. as was said, thats obvious. everyone knew Toon was his backup.

regardw villa, his money, he can do wat he wants.

this was a failed sting. i dont know why they did it but it failed miserably. i dont like it at all tho. it was dishonest and it was a deliberate plan to get dirt out of Sven. they shoudl be ashamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

It really does puzzle me why NOTW did this at all, in a few months they will be relying on Sven for all kind of information and exclusives. If I was the FA I would simply refuse to allow NOTW or Sun journalists into future press conferences, they can't allow these rags to dictate. As mentioned above its not Sven who's been damaged by this but it could easily have been damaging for Owen / Beckham and co. Sven behaved as he could be expected to, given the perceived circumstances.

How this passes for journalism is beyond me.

Where does he get the idea that he's worth as much as the special one ? :rolleyes:

Advertisement