Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
  • 16-01-2006 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Has anyone in a 2 bed town house considered getting your attic converted.
    I'm looking into it but i'm wondering has anyone else got a quotation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

We've talked about it but haven't got a quote yet. I know a guy who's done a few, i can try and see how much he is. Let us know if you do get a quote though. Would you use it with the attic ladder or have you any ideas on how to get a permanent staircase in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Manny7 wrote:
    Would you use it with the attic ladder or have you any ideas on how to get a permanent staircase in?

I'm planning to cut through the back bedroom (our house is kitchen front) across the highest point of the stairwell and into the floor of the attic. I think it would look great but i dunno if i'm mad. Were getting married this year so we won't be doing anything until august at the earliest. Just wondering how many organs i'd have to sell to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

We got driven mad by waiting for people to call us back etc, so went ahead and set up a service called www.mytrade.ie It puts you straight in tuoch with a builder and he sends the quoite back to your desktop. Much easier for project management!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Hi Ru,

We were thinking about going through the back bedroom too, the only thing was that you'd turn that bedroom into a hallway if the stairs went into it so you'd still have just the two rooms. I've heard of someone in a different estate narrowing the bedroom and the staircase and putting the new stairs in between, don't know if that would work though.

Manny7 wrote:
    I've heard of someone in a different estate narrowing the bedroom and the staircase and putting the new stairs in between, don't know if that would work though.

Our intnetion is to move our bedroom to the attic, have the fron room as a kiddies room (sh1t i'm gettin old) and keep the spare room as a study (i really mean games room). I;d prefer it this way because yuo keep the room sizes, otherwise your turning the back room into a box room which never has any real function in a house except for throwing things into.

Ru

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Ru wrote:
    Has anyone in a 2 bed town house considered getting your attic converted.
    I'm looking into it but i'm wondering has anyone else got a quotation??

woah!! We're over near the Creche. Me and my neighbours on both sides have had models drawn up on a computer by an architect with the intention of seeking planning permission to buil up over the one stroey dining room at the back. Extending up two stories so that both the attic and the back bedroom are extended.

Lot of things to discuss judging by the postings on this forum, wouldn't mind meeting up in a boozer to discuss some things.

Marcais wrote:
    Lot of things to discuss judging by the postings on this forum, wouldn't mind meeting up in a boozer to discuss some things.

I'm thinkg of heading to Script next on sunday 29th afternoon for a few hours.

You can't beat a sunday afternoon in the pub!!!

Ru wrote:
    I'm thinkg of heading to Script next on sunday 29th afternoon for a few hours.

You can't beat a sunday afternoon in the pub!!!

They show football as far as I remember, so unless either of us say otherwise, I'll be there...let's post it as an open invitation ?

Marcais wrote:
    let's post it as an open invitation ?

DONE!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50740220#post50740220

• Registered Users Posts: 16 frugal

Hi there,

Just put a holding deposit down on a 3 bed end of terrace (type c) in the park. Haven’t had a chance to check with the builder yet, but I was wondering if anyone here knows if its even feasible to get an attic conversion in that style of house?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

I'm sure it can be done but interested to see how much space that would give you as the roof slopes on three sides it may leave you with very little space and may not be worth it. I've bought a 3-bed mid terrace and took a look into the attic of the show house, looked a little small!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, i'm also in a three bed and I don't think converting the attic is practical - there's lots of floor space in the attic but the roof slopes down on 3 sides so you wouldn't get much useable space.

i know when they were selling Charlesland Wood one of the selling points of the 2-beds was that the attic had been designed to be easily converted. Probably similar enough in Grove\Park. Theres an ad up on the noticeboard in Superquinn from a guy who claims to have done a few attic-conversions in Charlesland, might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Work out well on 3 bed end terraces about €20 grand got a 12ftX12 ft room stairs off landing mid terrace 3 beds saw one about 9ft x 14 ft mid terrace very snug and you lose half a bedroom for stairs.

Someone mentioned extending out over the back-I wouldn't waste money on a quote its prohibited under the planning and terms and articles of association of management companies you cant as you over look your neighbour and cant put windows in and the side wall cuts light from the nextdoor 2 or 3 bed window.Also even if you get planning the management company has the legal right to turn tyou down.If you go ahead anyway you wont be able to sell the house as you have to have their clearance. One individual I know has lost €15000 legally fighting it. Building a friggin conservatory is also forbibdden you think we were living in a little nazi state up here.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Bertie wrote:
    Work out well on 3 bed end terraces about €20 grand got a 12ftX12 ft room stairs off landing mid terrace 3 beds saw one about 9ft x 14 ft mid terrace very snug and you lose half a bedroom for stairs.

Someone mentioned extending out over the back-I wouldn't waste money on a quote its prohibited under the planning and terms and articles of association of management companies you cant as you over look your neighbour and cant put windows in and the side wall cuts light from the nextdoor 2 or 3 bed window.Also even if you get planning the management company has the legal right to turn tyou down.If you go ahead anyway you wont be able to sell the house as you have to have their clearance. One individual I know has lost €15000 legally fighting it. Building a friggin conservatory is also forbibdden you think we were living in a little nazi state up here.:rolleyes:

I am very surprised at that Bertie! I have a family member working in An Bord Plannala and my understanding is that there are no rights to light or privacy (ie. not being overlooked) in the case of extensions and other developments. Obviously objections can be lodged regardless, though I'm not sure the argument of privacy would hold up as the houses are already very overlooked. In relation to the Management company restricting extensions and conversions, that too would surprise me, but not having seen the articles or had advice on it, I can't comment.

Marcais wrote:
    woah!! We're over near the Creche. Me and my neighbours on both sides have had models drawn up on a computer by an architect with the intention of seeking planning permission to build up over the one stroey dining room at the back. Extending up two stories so that both the attic and the back bedroom are extended.

We don't have any houses behind us. Anyone think it is a waste of time applying for permission for this?

Ice Man wrote:
    I am very surprised at that Bertie! I have a family member working in An Bord Plannala and my understanding is that there are no rights to light or privacy (ie. not being overlooked) in the case of extensions and other developments. Obviously objections can be lodged regardless, though I'm not sure the argument of privacy would hold up as the houses are already very overlooked. In relation to the Management company restricting extensions and conversions, that too would surprise me, but not having seen the articles or had advice on it, I can't comment.

Ice man two individuals I know in Charlesland wood were turned down by the management co. they were also turned down by planning because of the overlooking and light issue and the terraced nature of the houses and proximity of houses to the house to the rear I saw the letters.

Marcais wrote:
    We don't have any houses behind us. Anyone think it is a waste of time applying for permission for this?
    The best thing to do is apply tp the management company first then if they give the go ahead you can go for planning without wasting any money do you back on to the dual carriageway and waste ground below the old farmhouse.Doing it the other way you can get planning but be turned down by the management company you could force it to avote there but you need full agreement of members ie all owner occupiers as set out.Marcais I empathise with you most of us didnt know what we were getting into with the management companies

Bertie wrote:
    The best thing to do is apply tp the management company first then if they give the go ahead you can go for planning without wasting any money do you back on to the dual carriageway and waste ground below the old farmhouse.Doing it the other way you can get planning but be turned down by the management company you could force it to avote there but you need full agreement of members ie all owner occupiers as set out.Marcais I empathise with you most of us didnt know what we were getting into with the management companies

Yeah, backing on to the dual carriageway and waste ground below the old farmhouse . I did have an idea that the management company have a say, but it does sound like a good idea to ask them first (this could give a good indication how the Council might look at it too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HelpPlease

Has anyone actually done an attic conversion yet? Mine is a 2 bed with kichen in the front. I checked www.atticexpress.ie and
    Is planning permission required? I want to use it as a 3rd bedroom.

Most attic conversions are exempt from planning permission, as the majority of attic conversions are carried out on the basis of creating “non habitable space". This doesn't take away from the fact these new rooms are routinely used as Main bedrooms\ensuites, Studies\Offices and games\home entertainment rooms.

You do not need planning permission to put Velux windows on the back of your house.

You do need planning permision to place Velux windows on the front of your attic

Therefore I should be able to convert the ttic as long as I keep the velux windows to the rear?
    Does anyoe know for sure that this is allowed by the management company.

Help Wanted please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HelpPlease

Has anyone actually done an attic conversion yet? Mine is a 2 bed with kichen in the front. I checked www.atticexpress.ie and
    Is planning permission required? I want to use it as a 3rd bedroom.

Most attic conversions are exempt from planning permission, as the majority of attic conversions are carried out on the basis of creating “non habitable space". This doesn't take away from the fact these new rooms are routinely used as Main bedrooms\ensuites, Studies\Offices and games\home entertainment rooms.

You do not need planning permission to put Velux windows on the back of your house.

You do need planning permision to place Velux windows on the front of your attic

Therefore I should be able to convert the ttic as long as I keep the velux windows to the rear?

Help Wanted please?

• Advertisement

HelpPlease wrote:

Help Wanted please?

I plan on converting our 2 bed in august. RegaI plan on converting our 2 bed in august. Regarding the Management Company, I wouldn’t worry about them. One of the selling points Hooke and McDonald were using was that the 2 bed was prepared or an attic conversion. You can tell by the placement of the water tanks. On another point the sister in law in a 3 bed converted her attic. She required NO planning permission as the extra windows do not face a public space and has heard nothing from the management company in 2 months.

Ru
    rding the Managment company; i wouln't worry about them. One of the selling points Hooke and McDonald were using was that the 2 bed was pre arranged for an attic conversion. You can tell by the placement of the water tanks. On another point the sister in law in a 3 bed converted her attic. She required NO planning permission and has heard nothing from the managment company

In Charlesland wood yes quite a few done

Ru wrote:
    On another point the sister in law in a 3 bed converted her attic. She required NO planning permission as the extra windows do not face a public space and has heard nothing from the management company in 2 months.

which type 3 bed is she in - and what sort of space did she end up with (where did the stairs go?) I'd be interested to know if converting a 3-bed attic is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Could someone put some pics of there attic conversion if they dont mind. thanks.

keith123 wrote:
    Could someone put some pics of there attic conversion if they dont mind. thanks.

There were some leaflets delivered (don't know by who ;) from an address in Charlesland Place? advertising attic conversions and he welcomes people to come by his place and have a look (I'll see if I can dig it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

hi all

i had a flyer in the door a couple of weeks ago from BJB, who are infact the carpentry contractors on-site in charlesland (which i think is a huge plus as they know and are familiar with the houses). i contacted them with similar enquiries to everyone else in the thread to see what the story was for a 2-bed with the sittingroom at the front...

so on friday they called out and we viewed a similar 2-bed house (with the kitchen at the front) thats had the attic conversion done. basically whichever bedroom in your house is the smallest (in my case the one at the front) you lose about a metre of that room (so its still a grand size and fits bunk beds!) and they put in a new wall and door and put a stairs in between that runs parallel to the bathroom and curves around up to the attic. theres velux window (or windows) at the back (so no planning permission required). the bedroom is a really good size and they can also put in an en-suite bathtoom etc etc. i was quoted about €16K for the conversion, with an adiditional $5-6K for an en-suite (rough ball-park figures)

at the moment they are seeing if theres much interest in people in charlesland having this conversion done, as obviously the more people who are interested, the cheaper the price is. given that turning a 2-bed/2-bath into a 3-bed/3-bath increases your house value by +€50K (??) its definately something im thinking of. have posted the number and details on the handy numbers link if anyone else is interested...

eleMental wrote:
    given that turning a 2-bed/2-bath into a 3-bed/3-bath increases your house value by +€50K (??) its definately something im thinking of.

i think there are legal requirements you have to meet before you can advertise an attic conversion as a "room" - ceiling heights, floor space etc.

Still very useful to have it converted, and will certainly add value, but you may not be able to advertise your house as having "3 bedrooms" afterwards.

loyatemu wrote:
    i think there are legal requirements you have to meet before you can advertise an attic conversion as a "room" - ceiling heights, floor space etc.

Still very useful to have it converted, and will certainly add value, but you may not be able to advertise your house as having "3 bedrooms" afterwards.

As far as I know, if you have a stairs up, en-suite etc. you might be ok, or maybe you need a window too, i.e. not just a roof window.

Advertisement