Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

people speeding up as you overtake?

Options
  • 16-01-2006 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Why do people do this????

Last week on the Mullingar bypass, a 100 kph stretch. I was slowly catching up with a 99 BMW who I would guess was doing around 95kph.

I indicated to pull out into the outside lane and I spot a puff of smoke from the exhaust and he's off down the road.

Pulled back in and two miles later I'm back behind him again. Indicated and got level with him and again he puts his foot down!

I have noticed this is a regular occurrence these days.

How many times have you come up behind a car doing 10-15kph slower than you and discover as you go to overtake that you have to accelerate to serious penalty point’s territory to get past.

Why do they bother?

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

You can always find a spanner. Was on trim road one night and this Merc was doing about 60kpmh so I went to take over and he floored it and couldn't get past safe before cornor so slowed down and slotted back in behind him. Got to cornor and again was going slow as hell. Was on straight and car coming but still going nowhere. Cars passed and I went to go past was level with him and next thing again he floors it so I planted on the horn and slotted in behind him.

Same again so next straight I try to pass and he does the same. So I sat behind him the whole way up the road with the horn going until next straight and passed him then with a dirty look through the window.

Bit of road rage but it drives me mad when people do that. He knew exactly what he was doing as well because made sure to slow down when going around the cornors and only floored it once I made a move to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

First off, he's in a beamer so the chances of him driving like an asshole are pretty good to begin with. Seriously, they are the worst when it comes to basic driving ediquette.
    ive noticed this happenning a couple of time - the most recent by a granny in a fiat punto - the old hag really put the foot down when over taking looked likely. I kind of expect it from Beamers and young fellas but not some relic held togeather by her wolly cardigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dellgirl wrote:
    First off, he's in a beamer so the chances of him driving like an asshole are pretty good to begin with. Seriously, they are the worst when it comes to basic driving ediquette.
    ive noticed this happenning a couple of time - the most recent by a granny in a fiat punto - the old hag really put the foot down when over taking looked likely. I kind of expect it from Beamers and young fellas but not some relic held togeather by her wolly cardigan.

Hehe, you might be right... I dont know why Beamers even have indicator lights.
    :D
    The handiest way to avoid is to drop two gears and jet past before he can speed up. Most likely he will be in 5th gear even if he is driving slowly.
    I have no problems with those people who drive at a speed comfortable and safe to them, however if you do dangerous ****e like speed up when someone is overtaking you, you have lost all my respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

This is something which really boils my blood. I see it the whole time on the motor way. It almost always a Beemer, a Merc or a TT. Never a Lexus or a A4 for some strange reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Dellgirl wrote:
    - the most recent by a granny in a fiat punto - the old hag really put the foot down when over taking looked likely. I kind of expect it from Beamers and young fellas but not some relic held togeather by her wolly cardigan.
    It's the 'me against the world' attitude requirement that all pensioners must have to drive on the road once they hit 70. They may only drive once a week to do their shopping, but the other 6 days are spent sitting around reading articles in the Herald about how bad drivers are these days. So when it's their turn to take the road, they have to fend for themselves against all the inconsiderate drivers, otherwise they'll never make it make in time for Live At 3, or whatever it's called now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

they can do what they like , its not their fault your car hasnt got enough power to overtake them.

I do it in my dads car , especially to lil race boys up your ass in their micras , lol

note i dont do it on windy back roads , i have some sense

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some people think that they're making the road a safer place by doing things like stopping you overtaking or driving in the overtaking lane at 5km/h below the limit. They clearly miss the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had an incident where I could have been killd. I was in the middle of three cars on the Straffan road. The car behind me was right up my a$$ and the car in front was doing around 65kph. So I went to overtake the car in front so the driver decided to floor it. But I couldn't pull back in because the car tht had been behind me had sped up along with another car behind him. I had to call on all the powers of my VW TDI to accelerate, as the op said, to serious penalty point speed to get past the idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

On a single stretch it's pretty dangerous and the speeding up driver is an idiot but on a motorway I don't see them problem.

Sat night on the M50 cruising along in the inside lane after overtaking a stretch of cars and one of the cars I overtook suddenly pulls out and races up alongside me and turns out to be a Megane saloon so I put the boot down and left him for dead just to prove a point I suppose. Silly and no need for it but sure it did nobody any harm except used a bit more of my petrol and made me smile with a guy in a Megane thinking he could have a go!

Big Balls wrote:
    On a single stretch it's pretty dangerous and the speeding up driver is an idiot but on a motorway I don't see them problem.

Sat night on the M50 cruising along in the inside lane after overtaking a stretch of cars and one of the cars I overtook suddenly pulls out and races up alongside me and turns out to be a Megane saloon so I put the boot down and left him for dead just to prove a point I suppose. Silly and no need for it but sure it did nobody any harm except used a bit more of my petrol and made me smile with a guy in a Megane thinking he could have a go!

yeah , exactly same opinion here. on a single strecth road i see the danger but on the M50 its grand.

my story: was in my dads car with my dad (me drivin) . I was drivin nicley and overtaking 2 or 3 cars at reasonable speed on the m50 and some gob****e in an old 89 integra glued to my ass. As i passed the last car and wanting to pull back into left lane , the little f***er dives right in and tries to undertake me , so i just put the foot down left him for dust. - slowed down later on and comes up behind me again - and then tries one of these cool overtakin manouvers where he pulls out when he's 1cm away from your rear bumper , so as he pulled into the overtaking lane ,and tried flooring it , i just gunned it again - PRICELESS look on his face.

• Advertisement

It's the 'me against the world' attitude requirement that all pensioners must have to drive on the road once they hit 70. They may only drive once a week to do their shopping, but the other 6 days are spent sitting around reading articles in the Herald about how bad drivers are these days. So when it's their turn to take the road, they have to fend for themselves against all the inconsiderate drivers, otherwise they'll never make it make in time for Live At 3, or whatever it's called now.

Very good......I never thought of that! :D

I
    do it in my dads car , especially to lil race boys up your ass in their micras , lol

Today 13:57

Wind?WInd? Wtf has wind got to do ......ah ...wait ....I see. No place for "move it or lose it daddyo!"

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

they can do what they like , its not their fault your car hasnt got enough power to overtake them

Never said i hadn't the power to overtake, but why should I be forced to break the speed limit just to pass them because they are acting the plonker?

So even though they put their foot down as I overtake, its not their fault????

Weird logic there. :(

yeah , exactly same opinion here. on a single strecth road i see the danger but on the M50 its grand

Why is it Ok on a motorway? Whats the problem if your happy cruising at speed X and someone doing speed X + 10 is passing you and you have to speed up because.............. ?

John

Dellgirl wrote:
    Very good......I never thought of that! :D

I

Wind?WInd? Wtf has wind got to do ......ah ...wait ....I see. No place for "move it or lose it daddyo!"

Windy as in bendy !! :rolleyes:

Dellgirl wrote:

Windy , windEy - as in a lot of turns and bends geddit?

as for the rest , i have no idead what you are saying ( are u bleedin' slaggin' me oul fella, are ye?? ) j/k

jwt wrote:
    Why is it Ok on a motorway? Whats the problem if your happy cruising at speed X and someone doing speed X + 10 is passing you and you have to speed up because.............. ?

John

Because on a single road you are forcing the overtaking car into the direction of other cars.

And I only speak for myself, the M50 was dead and clear when I was on it on Sat and there was no way it was causing anyone any problems. Most people with performance cars use them from time to time when it's safe to do so - I do anyway!

Windy as in bendy !!

Haha! Thanks!
    Windy , windEy - as in a lot of turns and bends geddit?

Again, much obliged!!

The "move it or lose it Daddyo" referred to you being right about the revving it up on back roads.

(hee-aw...Ill fuggin slag off aniwan i wan...awrigh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here........

If you are driving along at 110kph and a car approaching you from behind goes to move into the overtaking lane travelling at a constant 120kph to pass you, why is it ok to speed up in the inside lane to frustrate/annoy/whatever the other driver who was driving properly, courteously and considerately?????

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I cant stand that crap either, my dad used to do it to muppets in there micras till i told him to cop-the-****-on before he kills someone.
    whats worse is when you change lanes to over take and they move infront of you blocking you. had this scary expierence with a truck. Boy was he shocked when the blue flashies came on.
    to say he got a bolloxing is an understatement.

jwt wrote:

If you are driving along at 110kph and a car approaching you from behind goes to move into the overtaking lane travelling at a constant 120kph to pass you, why is it ok to speed up in the inside lane to frustrate/annoy/whatever the other driver who was driving properly, courteously and considerately?????

John

I've never done what you're describing so I can't comment on that if the question was directed towards me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

C_Breeze wrote:
    they can do what they like , its not their fault your car hasnt got enough power to overtake them.

I do it in my dads car , especially to lil race boys up your ass in their micras , lol

whats the problem????? i would rather have someone pass me if they where sitting up my a$$... i really dont understand why people get so invovled....go at you own pace and by respectful of other people its f*cking easy as that...fast or slow so long as your save and courteous.

w*nkers who speed up when your over taking are the worst kind of c*nts...why are people so bothered about being over taken...its this whole attitude on the irish roads people start getting in battles with each other...madness

• Advertisement

toffeapple wrote:
    whats the problem????? i would rather have someone pass me if they where sitting up my a$$... i really dont understand why people get so invovled....go at you own pace and by respectful of other people its f*cking easy as that...fast or slow so long as your save and courteous.

w*nkers who speed up when your over taking are the worst kind of c*nts...why are people so bothered about being over taken...its this whole attitude on the irish roads people start getting in battles with each other...madness

Totally agree with you but when someone pulls out to have a go at you just cause you're driving a fast car they can't play the card you're playing !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

normally if someone wants to overtake me, I'm happy to help as it's better to let them go and not have them sitting on my ass. Last night I was coming down from Donegal, approaching the Carrickmacross by-pass, doing just on 100k. There was a car about 150 meters in front doing just over 100k. This asshole in an 06-DL Golf comes screaming up behind me, flashing his lights and coming within an inch of the car. It was getting dark, raining, I was doing the limit and there was nowhere for me to go. He went past me about 120, beeping his horn and giving me the finger. I hate to wish ill on anyone, but my God, I wish he'd gotten a puncture there and then and spun off to a firey death:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

i drive reasonanby fast car (pulsar vzr-nismo exhaust pushing 185bhp) and i dont see the problem....you will always get fools in every aspect of life..on the road i leave um to it cos they can end up killing you.....and others

Im not immmune to road rage but...luckly i havent had many people speeding up like that on me...i have to say if he continually did it i would probably want to crack his head open with a wheel brace...thats proabaly why i try and avoid people like this..best for every body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

thats proabaly why i try and avoid people like this..best for every body

Hence the Chris Walken picture!

Speeding up on any sort of road as someone is about to overtake is the last word in wankerdom.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jwt wrote:

John

Dont mind them John, they are trolling. One lane, two lanes or ten lanes, it is illegal and dangerous to overtake on the inside in the situation you describe.

As for this 'i just put the foot down left him for dust' and 'i just gunned it again' and 'I put the boot down and left him for dead', :rolleyes: well that is all makey-uppy immature B.S., that more than likely never happened.

It reminds me of the Tommy Tiernan sketch, in your best D4 accent:
    "I drove from Dublin to Galway yesterday, in 11 minutes"
    "I swear to god Fintan, I fukking floooored it"
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Caimin, that driver will do himself in one day, just be glad you weren't part of it that night.

I'm often tempted to jam on my brakes when drivers behind me are that close. Sure we'll both be damaged but it's their insurance that'd have to pay up. But that temptation is road-rage and I just have to try to be better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bungeecork wrote:
    Caimin, that driver will do himself in one day, just be glad you weren't part of it that night.

I'm often tempted to jam on my brakes when drivers behind me are that close. Sure we'll both be damaged but it's their insurance that'd have to pay up. But that temptation is road-rage and I just have to try to be better than that.

You're right bungee, and to be honest I find 80% of people on the road are grand. Actually, what I really would have loved would be a flashing blue light I could put on just as he was giving me the finger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Isnt knowing you have a more powerfull car not enough, if i had a powerfull car i'd just be thinking haha the jokes you i can easily over take you next straight there is.....i think speeding up as someone goes to overtake you is just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

A cousin of mine had someone speed up on him as he was overtaking. Unfortunately he was the right age to be a bit egotistical, a bit over confident and had the fairly fast car to boot, so he dropped another gear and kept accelerating. Having eventually passed the car he was carrying far too much speed and approaching a bend. He couldn't loose enough momentum and lost it in the bend, went backwards into a power line, brought it down, thought he'd loose his licence and was threatened with a law suit by a local pub which lost a nights business due to the power outage!!! But overall he was lucky not to have killed himself or his passenger and has now had the pleasure of driving his girlfriend's fiesta in and out of London for the past 4 years. Hard lesson to learn. He's looking forward to getting a nice new focus for himself only now.

So kids, don't speed up on people trying to overtake you. And men, if some jack ass tries to race you ... don't be the jack ass wrapped around the lamp post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

C_Breeze wrote:
    yeah , exactly same opinion here. on a single strecth road i see the danger but on the M50 its grand.

my story: was in my dads car with my dad (me drivin) . I was drivin nicley and overtaking 2 or 3 cars at reasonable speed on the m50 and some gob****e in an old 89 integra glued to my ass. As i passed the last car and wanting to pull back into left lane , the little f***er dives right in and tries to undertake me , so i just put the foot down left him for dust. - slowed down later on and comes up behind me again - and then tries one of these cool overtakin manouvers where he pulls out when he's 1cm away from your rear bumper , so as he pulled into the overtaking lane ,and tried flooring it , i just gunned it again - PRICELESS look on his face.
    Out of curiousity what does your Dad drive?

Advertisement