Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

people speeding up as you overtake?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Yes another similar thing I hate is when cars overtake and hinder your progress. For example:
    I'm driving along at 100kph on the dual carraigeway. A car accelerates up to 110kph and overtakes me and then returns into the inside lane and reduces their speed to 95kph thus hindering me and overtaking me for no reason. Did anyone else ever notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"Why do they do it?" - Because they're pricks. There is no other excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

fletch wrote:
    Out of curiousity what does your Dad drive?

Merc C-class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

caimin wrote:
    normally if someone wants to overtake me, I'm happy to help as it's better to let them go and not have them sitting on my ass. Last night I was coming down from Donegal, approaching the Carrickmacross by-pass, doing just on 100k. There was a car about 150 meters in front doing just over 100k. This asshole in an 06-DL Golf comes screaming up behind me, flashing his lights and coming within an inch of the car. It was getting dark, raining, I was doing the limit and there was nowhere for me to go. He went past me about 120, beeping his horn and giving me the finger. I hate to wish ill on anyone, but my God, I wish he'd gotten a puncture there and then and spun off to a firey death:mad:

Has anyone ever thought of reporting the reg's to a local garda station? I do, a lot of the time, in cases like this one. It sounds like the car was stolen and being joy ridden...

rob1891 wrote:
    So kids, don't speed up on people trying to overtake you. And men, if some jack ass tries to race you ... don't be the jack ass wrapped around the lamp post!

Sound advice, but word it slightly better I think - don't be the jack ass full stop!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Seanie M wrote:
    Has anyone ever thought of reporting the reg's to a local garda station? I do, a lot of the time, in cases like this one. It sounds like the car was stolen and being joy ridden...

I tried, but all I could get was the 06-DL bit. It was a silver golf. I was actually half-hoping that whoever it was posted on boards and would reveal himself! but if I'd caught up with him, or seen the reg first time, I would have called the Guards, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Onkle51 wrote:
    I had an incident where I could have been killd. I was in the middle of three cars on the Straffan road. The car behind me was right up my a$$ and the car in front was doing around 65kph. So I went to overtake the car in front so the driver decided to floor it. But I couldn't pull back in because the car tht had been behind me had sped up along with another car behind him. I had to call on all the powers of my VW TDI to accelerate, as the op said, to serious penalty point speed to get past the idiot
    Very dangerous situation alright. The drivers behind you had probably anticipated you completing your overtake and had started their acceleration so they could follow suit.

Even more dangerous is when you're overtaking a truck and the guy behind decides to follow *before* you've even completed the maneouvre. So you have a situation where you're overtaking on the wrong side of the road with a car right up your ass, also on the wrong side of the road. What happens if there is an emergency and the lead overtaker needs to abort? A very nasty situation could result.

Avoiding this sort of stuff shoudl be taught in driver training. It's a helluva lot more useful than a lot of the stuff that's examined on the driving test. How many people die every year in overtaking crashes? I'd say the figure is high. We test cars in the NCT but we don't teach drivers how to overtake safely, that's real clever :rolleyes:

Going back to speeding up when being overtaken - I have made my views known on this in numerous threads, its one of the most dangerous and annoying things a driver can do. However on the other side are drivers who pick an inapproriate time to overtake eg transition between speed limit zones. It is reasonable to assume that a vehicle ahead will speed up when going from a 50 km/h zone to a 100 km/h zone. I hate when people start to overtake me in these situations because then I have to back off to avoid a dangerous situation. I reckon a lot of Irish drivers would not be "on the ball" enough to back off in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Before my dad overtakes he drops into third gear usually, and goes by the car at speed limit + 10kph. He gets by safely, and also avoids the car accelerating since he's accelerating so hard himself.

In Dublin, the worst offenders are bus drivers, about a year ago on a bus to a work experience a double decker 54A did tis to some poor bastard in a Micra, Micra was destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Big Balls wrote:
    Totally agree with you but when someone pulls out to have a go at you just cause you're driving a fast car they can't play the card you're playing !!
    Perhaps they're not "having a go". Perhaps they just want a look at your nice car?

This kind of competitive driving on a public road drives me nuts. I get it all the time when someone (particularly someone in a fast/powerful car) sees that they are being overtaken by an asthmatic 34 year old car. They get all affronted and put the foot to the floor to prove a point. I have no idea what point was in question, as they quickly leave my 98bhp 4 speed lard-ass in "their dust". Anybody with half a brain would understand that I'm not overtaking to ridicule them, or to "have a go", I'm overtaking because I'm in a rush somewhere and they are moving slower than me. When I catch up with them (as I invariably will) they go tearing off again, only for the cycle to repeat itself.

Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'm puzzled by the original post.

What was so important about overtaking someone who was 5k below the 100k speed limit ? :confused:

Just so you could go an extra 5k faster ? :rolleyes:

the speed limit is a guideline for the max safe speed (depending upon road conditions) it's not a target.

And to anyone who thinks it's clever to hit the brakes if some gob****e is tailgating you : you are deluding yourselves if you think that you won't come off as bad as the car behind you. It's not about the 'insurance' or the 'law'... it's about what will happen to you and your passengers and other road users and pedestrians.

Everyone seems to be a ****ing lawyer and insurance expert when they get behind the wheel. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

jwt wrote:
    Why do people do this????
    I indicated to pull out into the outside lane and I spot a puff of smoke from the exhaust and he's off down the road.

Pulled back in and two miles later I'm back behind him again. Indicated and got level with him and again he puts his foot down!

Why do they bother?

John

Don't know, any more than I can figure why do the other sect sit in the middle of the road doing 35 and blocking the lane.
    Or why does someone else sit on your a$$ for miles on end, when they could just as easily pass by.

99.9% of the time I hold steady or maybe drop back so they get by faster.

Though there was that one one occasion where I actually sped up.

Approaching a roundAbout, somewhere in Limerick. 1 lane of traffic in each direction. all cars were moving along at a reasonable pace. I for whatever reason had a "large" distance, maybe 1.5 car lengths, between me and the car ahead and holding constant. Coming up to a RA this is handy as the exiting car could cut between you and the object ahead without stopping.
    anyway, just as we appraoch the RA a taxi cuts out of the traffic behind, comes belting down the opposite lane and is trying to pass out on the entrance (1 car wide) to the RA, by darting into the gap I was maintaining. I see this, so for the heck of it I speed up to match his. so now we are 2 abrest, he's heading for the RA exit, or a block of concrete with a sign of lighted arrow that divides the lanes and I'm not yielding.
    Finally he gets the idea and decides to stop or yield.

So, yeah, you could say I was being a jerk, but you'd have to give a good reason why passing out in such circumstance is not being jerk of equal proportions.

Sometimes just for the fun of it I see someone trying to weave through traffic here, by darting from one lane to another to another, then back to the first, etc. trying to pass on every lane, including the exits, So just to frustrate them further I like to box them in, but without changing speed more than a few MPH, if at all. Just kinds always drifting into their exit and boxing them in again and again, so after traveling 5 miles they are still on your door knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Personally I think people do the slow down speed up thing because they can't drive around corners, or they are simply being nasty. To be honest if theres a long queue behind someone like this, the cops should do them for dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

A guy I know got done for dangerous driving because the car he went to pass speed up and left him out on the wrong side of the road, further up the road there was a tax check point where the other guy reported him for cutting in too close to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Personally I think people do the slow down speed up thing because they can't drive around corners, or they are simply being nasty. To be honest if theres a long queue behind someone like this, the cops should do them for dangerous driving.
    Quite often this is my motivation for overtaking a car that I would otherwise be happy to be behind. I also prefer to overtake when given a safe opportunity rather than wait and find myself in a procession caused by another slower car. I wouldn't necssarily agree that charging these people with dangerous (I think careless would be more apt) driving is necessarily the right approach but people should be taught to be more considerate of those behind them when they are on the road.

I also remember once driving on a particularly twisty (but not dangerous) road for about 10 miles behind a driver who never did more than 40 and sometimes slowed below 20 for a bend. There was particularly heavy oncoming traffic and I never got a safe opportunity to overtake. It was strange to have to drop to 2nd to take a moderate bends that weren't blind. This is obviously an extreme case but my automatic assumption was that the driver shouldn't have been on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Squirrel wrote:
    Before my dad overtakes he drops into third gear usually, and goes by the car at speed limit + 10kph. He gets by safely, and also avoids the car accelerating since he's accelerating so hard himself.

In Dublin, the worst offenders are bus drivers, about a year ago on a bus to a work experience a double decker 54A did tis to some poor bastard in a Micra, Micra was destroyed

Jesus I hate when the bus drivers pull out when you'e passing them. Forcing you to go to the far side of the road into the oncoming traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AMurphy wrote:
    So, yeah, you could say I was being a jerk, but you'd have to give a good reason why passing out in such circumstance is not being jerk of equal proportions.

That is all well & good, but what if some innocent driver came around the roundabout in the opposite direction, and ended up in a head-on collision with the taxi........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

what about getting the reg number and reporting them to the guards? Not sure what the outcome would be tho......?

eas wrote:
    what about getting the reg number and reporting them to the guards? Not sure what the outcome would be tho......?
    To my knowledge these kind of complaints rarely go anywhere as it's one persons word versus another and the driver has to take the case not the gardai/state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Perhaps they're not "having a go". Perhaps they just want a look at your nice car?

This kind of competitive driving on a public road drives me nuts. I get it all the time when someone (particularly someone in a fast/powerful car) sees that they are being overtaken by an asthmatic 34 year old car. They get all affronted and put the foot to the floor to prove a point. I have no idea what point was in question, as they quickly leave my 98bhp 4 speed lard-ass in "their dust". Anybody with half a brain would understand that I'm not overtaking to ridicule them, or to "have a go", I'm overtaking because I'm in a rush somewhere and they are moving slower than me. When I catch up with them (as I invariably will) they go tearing off again, only for the cycle to repeat itself.

Bizarre.

So when someone is cruising along but then they suddenly fly out into the lane and belt up past you it's just a coincidence? I dunno what car you drive but if it's anything performance based, you'll know what I mean from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

prospect wrote:
    'I put the boot down and left him for dead', :rolleyes: well that is all makey-uppy immature B.S., that more than likely never happened.

Ah you're right.. a car with 200bhp would never pull a huge gap on a Renault Megane, what am I on about !!!

(I'm sorry to pick this post out but the only BS is in the above)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I also remember once driving on a particularly twisty (but not dangerous) road for about 10 miles behind a driver who never did more than 40 and sometimes slowed below 20 for a bend. There was particularly heavy oncoming traffic and I never got a safe opportunity to overtake. It was strange to have to drop to 2nd to take a moderate bends that weren't blind. This is obviously an extreme case but my automatic assumption was that the driver shouldn't have been on the road.

Had a similar experience last week on the way to kinsale, bendy but not dangerous roads. I got stuck behind an over cautious driver in a new car (I think people tend to be more careful in new cars) I tried to keep my distance but it was hard when he kept braking at corners and when there was oncoming traffic.

I knew there was a good section ahead anyway where I could easily overtake so I waited until then to go. As soon as I indicated his foot was down, he was doing 35-40 (mph) when I started to overtake but I was doing 70+ (mph) when I finished the manouvre. I think some people just take it personally when they're overtaken, it's ridiculous really. Why aren't drivers like this (erratic speeds) penalised for wreckless driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

I can't believe how heated people are getting about this...just fu*king drive your cars safely and get where your going....end of story.

toffeapple wrote:
    I can't believe how heated people are getting about this...just fu*king drive your cars safely and get where your going....end of story.
    I think the main reason that people get 'heated' because of this is that it's something that turns a fairly standard manouvre into a danger for both of the cars involved and other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

if somebody decides to speed up when your over taking just dont get invovled...back of...or wait until you can blast past safely...thats the point im making...dont start getting into a battle with them

toffeapple wrote:
    if somebody decides to speed up when your over taking just dont get invovled...back of...or wait until you can blast past safely...thats the point im making...dont start getting into a battle with them
    That I fully agree with.

Big Balls wrote:
    Ah you're right.. a car with 200bhp would never pull a huge gap on a Renault Megane, what am I on about !!!

(I'm sorry to pick this post out but the only BS is in the above)!

Awwww, I am sorry, did I make you look like a wuss infront of the girlies.

What I meant to say is you are sooooo macho.
    I bet you have a HUGE 'ding-a-ling' aswell.....

Vrooom 200Bhp vrooommm

:rolleyes:

To be honest if theres a long queue behind someone like this, the cops should do them for dangerous driving.

Not necessarily to be taken off for dangerous driving, but perhaps driving without due care, and being a nuisance to others?

Some American states have a law requiring you to pull over if you are driving below the limit and OVER 3 cars are behind you, and let them pass. With some of Irelands roads taken into consideration, this would not be a bad idea over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

prospect wrote:
    Awwww, I am sorry, did I make you look like a wuss infront of the girlies.
    Lets not mention the Megane 225....

Lets not mention the Megane 225....

he he heee :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Seanie M wrote:
    Not necessarily to be taken off for dangerous driving, but perhaps driving without due care, and being a nuisance to others?

Some American states have a law requiring you to pull over if you are driving below the limit and OVER 3 cars are behind you, and let them pass. With some of Irelands roads taken into consideration, this would not be a bad idea over here.

I think this has been brought in in an 'experimental' format in Donegal - I've seen signs saying slow moving traffic should pull in to purpose built mini-laybys to let faster traffic behind past. I've never seen anyone doing it tho.

Advertisement