Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

people speeding up as you overtake?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

caimin wrote:
    I think this has been brought in in an 'experimental' format in Donegal - I've seen signs saying slow moving traffic should pull in to purpose built mini-laybys to let faster traffic behind past. I've never seen anyone doing it tho.

I think most drivers assume that these are for tractors and heavily laden trucks ( on steep ascents).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, I think you're right on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Driving in the states, some roads have lay-bys (turn-outs) every few miles. Slower moving vehicles must pull in and allow traffic by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

some moving violations in NJ USA

section description points
    39:4-97.1 Slow speed blocking traffic 2
    39:4-87 Failure to yield to overtaking vehicles 2
    39:4-89 Tailgating 5
    and believe it or not....
    39:4-128.4 Improper passing of a frozen dessert truck 4
    (They must mean an ice-cream van!!)

and California
    I 21654(a) Slower vehicle, in left lane(s).
    I 21656 Slow vehicle, failure to use signposted turnout or safe area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Lets not mention the Megane 225....

What about it? Apart from the fact that it's a pile of crap?

The two of you should get a room somewhere because you contributed nothing to this thread except try and act the high and mighty because you can't get inside the head of someone who actually has a car that is powerful/safe enough to do exactly what you are both raving on about.

I'd say you're both the type of prize to55ers that flash your headlights at someone for overtaking you on an A road when you're driving at the speed limit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Meaow....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

jd wrote:
    some moving violations in NJ USA

section description points

and California
    I 21654(a) Slower vehicle, in left lane(s).
    I 21656 Slow vehicle, failure to use signposted turnout or safe area.

There are two parts to this story;
    You'r pretty sure there will be a passing area a few mines ahead, often posted, eg, Passing lane 3 miles ahead, etc. and
    When the arrive the slow vehicle will use them. Does not have to be a big vehicle, just slower. And on most of these roads, you do not get many if any overloaded, underpowered trucks, hauling blocks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Big Balls wrote:

The two of you should get a room somewhere because you contributed nothing to this thread except try and act the high and mighty because you can't get inside the head of someone who actually has a car that is powerful/safe enough to do exactly what you are both raving on about.

I'd say you're both the type of prize to55ers that flash your headlights at someone for overtaking you on an A road when you're driving at the speed limit too.

The 225 has more BHP than your GTI. There's no vehicle safe enough to accelerate on the wrong side of the road coming up to a blind corner or oncoming traffic.

And my dad drives a Mk2 Toyota MR2 and he pulls back in when someone decides to put their own life, my dads (and any passenger in the car) life, and other road users in danger. There's nothing wrong with the power or acceleration of the car, there is something wrong however with the safety of the manoeuvre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Big Balls wrote:
    Temper temper.

In my case you would be wrong.
    a) I've never won any prizes for tossing, cabers or otherwise.
    b) I have no problem whatsoever with being overtaken - it happens all the time because my car is not particularly powerful. When it does happen I maintain a constant speed and if on a single carriageway I move to the left to allow the person overtaking the room to get by on the same side of the road. When I drove a powerful car, I did exactly the same thing. There's always someone with a better car.

You on the otherhand seem to have a big problem with being overtaken, obviously reckoning that every such move is an affront to those big balls of yours.

Why are you so insecure about your car? It is very powerful, fast, and undoubtedly lovely. Why do you feel the need to "make a point" by leaving someone "in your dust"? Pretty tragic if you can only enjoy your car by trying to instil envy in those around you - that says a lot about the driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I didnt realise so many people put their egos on the line each time they sit into a car....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

The 225 has more BHP than your GTI.

GTI( i presume we are talking about the latest golf?) has better torque curve allowing for better in gear acceleration..as in overtaking!
    Its not all about bhp...but you probably know that....

maidhc --I didnt realise so many people put their egos on the line each time they sit into a car....

....exactly....this tread has gone stupidly pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

toffeapple wrote:
    GTI( i presume we are talking about the latest golf?) has better torque curve allowing for better in gear acceleration..as in overtaking!
    Its not all about bhp...but you probably know that....

Torque curves were never something that I fully understood, I've a day off school so I'll do some research. Though I do refute
    Big Balls wrote:
    ....exactly....this tread has gone stupidly pear shaped.

Unfortunately many threads do when egos are brought into it

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Temper temper...

You on the otherhand seem to have a big problem with being overtaken, obviously reckoning that every such move is an affront to those big balls of yours.

Why are you so insecure about your car? It is very powerful, fast, and undoubtedly lovely. Why do you feel the need to "make a point" by leaving someone "in your dust"? Pretty tragic if you can only enjoy your car by trying to instil envy in those around you - that says a lot about the driving experience.

I agree. There should be no reason to accelerate even if you have just passed the person and they want to pass you out again. That's up to them if they want a race. Just leave them off, their loss :)

Common sense should prevail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

t5pwr wrote:
    I agree. There should be no reason to accelerate even if you have just passed the person and they want to pass you out again. That's up to them if they want a race. Just leave them off, their loss :)
    Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The ROTR of the road once again, (this is twice today, and I must thank Litcagral for that)

This line features on its own, in bold print in the IRISH Rules Of The Road Booklet:

DO NOT ACCELERATE WHEN YOU ARE BEING OVERTAKEN

So anyone that does so is quite clearly breaking the law, and should be reported for it.

Advertisement