Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Help !

Options
  • 16-01-2006 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a son starting secondary school soon and Im not
    sure which school to send him to. We live in swords
    Co. Dublin but I have been less than impressed with the
    secondary schools here. I would be willing to travel.
    Does anyone know of good schools
    around ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I can't suggest any specific schools in Swords, but here are a couple of points to consider:

* Make sure you send your kid to a school near where you live (even if you have to move to do so), because when he's a teenager you want his friends to live nearby, so he can visit them on foot, and they can come and visit your house. If you send him, say, to Newpark in Monkstown, he'll spend half his teens in friends' houses on the southside and you won't know those friends well enough.

* Think about what you want - is he a kid who really likes lots of academic work, and does well at it, or sporty, or both, or is he more of an all-rounder? Do you want a school that's going to get him great results in his Leaving, or one where he's going to learn a lot of different subjects? Do you want a big school with lots of facilities and remedial teachers and a big selection of different kids, or a smaller, more intimate school, maybe with smaller classes and more attention (or maybe not)? Do you want a religious or an unaligned school?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Hi Luckat,

Thanks for the tips you have given me some good points to think over . I think I will have to go call around to a few of the schools.

Advertisement