Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI 10 year ticket, the ripoff that is.

• 16-01-2006 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

I checked the FAI website and was delighted to see 10 year tickets onsale.
    I could not believe my eyes when I seen that it was 7,500 Euro per ticket.
    So i wonder if i was over-reacting - maybe that works out right....
    Firstly let me confirm that this is only a ticket for Home Senior International matches.(I have included the full definition below)
    I counted (using the stats of the FAI's website)The number of internationals over the last 5 years at Lansdowne Road

2004-7| 2003-7|2002-5|2001-6|2000-5

5 years: matches played 30
    So say 10 years 60 matches

That works out at a whopping 125Euro per ticket!

To add insult to injury:
    ->The tickets can't be bought by a group and shared ( Condition below)
    ->They won't cover lost tickets (i.e in the post)
    even though they could reprint them as they will have a seat number on them.
    ->You do not get money back in the event of cancelation(even after 9 years)

The tickets are for the East stand
    I regularly buy East stand tickets at 25Euro
    The west is the dearest at 40Euro
    N/S Terrace are 20 Euro

So take an average ground price od around 30Euro

30 X 60 = 1800
    That's a difference of 5700

Even if you were to pay a tout 100 Euro per ticket it would still only cost 6000 Euro
    Saving you 1500 euro.

Just to future proof this:
    If Ireland were somehow to paly twice the number of internationals
    and the average price of a ticket went up to 50 Euro

It would be 120 matches X 50 Euro =6000
    Still 1500 more expensive!
    :mad:
    I'm contacting the fai to see what they have to say.

Conditions:
    (copied from application form)

Match Tickets:
    Scheme members shall be entitled to receive one match ticket ( match ticket )for each ¬ 7,500.00 comprised in the fee paid by them for each soccer match played by the senior international soccer team at Lansdowne Road where such match is held under the auspices of the FAI and is under the FAIs sole and exclusive control ( ticket entitlement ).For these matches comprise friendly matches (including but not limited to testimonials and non-competitive tournaments) and qualifying matches for UEFA European Championships and FIFA World Cup only ( scheme matches ).No other matches or events of any kind are included.

Scheme membership is personal to scheme members and may not be transferred or sold to any other person

All tickets shall be sent by ordinary prepaid post to the address of the scheme member at the sole risk of the scheme member.The FAI shall not accept any responsibility for tickets or notices lost or delayed in the post.The FAI shall in no way be obliged to issue replacement tickets in any circumstances.

A scheme member may opt to cancel membership of the scheme at any time but will not be entitled to any refund,credit or other amount whatsoever from the FAI save as expressly set out in these terms and conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Is it maybe something to do with the redevelopment of lansdowne? And using croke park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Bull. There is no justification
    It's pricing the fan out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye wen Landsdowne is gettin done up, u get access to Croke Park, and wen landsdowne is complete, u get access to the premium seats. i read it in a pdf someone posted up on here the other day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

egan007 wrote:
    Bull. There is no justification
    It's pricing the fan out

I agree. Its an absolutely ridiculous price to expect Irish fans to pay and see the shambles of a team that is Ireland at the moment. There is no way that the general punter could afford to spend so much money to see a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well i dont think its aimed at the regualr punter. i think thats wat the 30,000 other tickets are for. they seem to be for the upper class folk.

it is expensive tho: 10 years at €7500 = €750 a year on tickets. pricey. and i *think* they're only for soccer. the rugger bugger tickets are sold separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

I'm contacting the fai to see what they have to say.

have you considered just not buying a bleedin ticket?

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye wen Landsdowne is gettin done up, u get access to Croke Park, and wen landsdowne is complete, u get access to the premium seats. i read it in a pdf someone posted up on here the other day.

I'm sorry - what!
    Can you read - 5700 difference
    That would want to be a seat on the center spot!

el rabitos wrote:

WOW!
    Now i know why everyting is so expensive
    People don't care

I suppose fair play to the companies that take all these people to the cleaners.
    Most deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:

I think that, as a point of interest, most fans would like to know why they ar echarging so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stekelly wrote:
    I think that, as a point of interest, most fans would like to know why they ar echarging so much.

because they know people will still buy it.

If people thought 7,500 was too much they wouldnt buy a ticket, but they will buy a ticket so it obviously isnt that big a rip off.

• Advertisement

^ That's the worst logic i've ever heard.

Just because 'some' people can afford it does not make it ok!

Of course if i earn enough I can get one - but since when is that a prerequisit for watching football.

I'm absolutely flabergasted at the absolute apathy and moronic attitudes of people in this country. (I really hope boards i.e. does not represent an acurate cross section)

egan007 wrote:
    ^ That's the worst logic i've ever heard.

Just because 'some' people can afford it does not make it ok!

Of course if i earn enough I can get one - but since when is that a prerequisit for watching football.

I'm absolutely flabergasted at the absolute apathy and moronic attitudes of people in this country. (I really hope boards i.e. does not represent an acurate cross section)

So they should sell them for a 5er so everyone can afford them?

I really hope you dont go into business buy yourself, cos you would be brutal. Its all about getting as much profit as you can. Its not about letting everyone buy your product.

YOu make it sound as if this is the only way to buy tickets for the match. This is for people who are willing to make that extra scarific to be guarenteed of getting tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How much is a PL season icket for 18 games a season?

It is a ripoff but its not for people its for companies to buy call it corporate prawn sambo brigade. My job got 4 last time but this year getting 4 for Old Trafford as its cheaper and well a bit better sometimes.

kdjac

So they should sell them for a 5er so everyone can afford them?.

Dont be ridiculous. If you know anything about business you'd know that companies that sell in bulk sell for CHEAPER than ones that sell individual product. If I went into a shop to buy 60 tv's to fit out a hotel, I would'nt expect to be charged more than if I went into 60 different shops and bought 1 tv in each, that defies logic.

YOu make it sound as if this is the only way to buy tickets for the match. This is for people who are willing to make that extra scarific to be guarenteed of getting tickets.

"extra sacrifice" doesnt equate to paying 5 time sthe price. You are doing them a favour by giving them their income 10 years in advance. They get 10 years worth of interest for your "extra sacrifice".

Toutes don't charge that much.

A season ticket in the kop is €825 for 18 games, much better value imo. Thats €45.80 a game. These can also be got for €758 if you buy a couple of months befor ethe season starts. So that drops to €42.11 a game.

Stekelly wrote:
    Dont be ridiculous. If you know anything about business you'd know that companies that sell in bulk sell for CHEAPER than ones that sell individual product. If I went into a shop to buy 60 tv's to fit out a hotel, I would'nt expect to be charged more than if I went into 60 different shops and bought 1 tv in each, that defies logic.

"extra sacrifice" doesnt equate to paying 5 time sthe price. You are doing them a favour by giving them their income 10 years in advance. They get 10 years worth of interest for your "extra sacrifice".

Toutes don't charge that much.

A season ticket in the kop is €825 for 18 games, much better value imo. Thats €45.80 a game.

The example of the tv's is completely irrelavent. So is using one season ticket at anfield. 10 years is a very long time. Be very interesting to see how much tickets cost in 1996.

YOur taking a gamble to see if the prices will work out, but obviously some people think its worth the risk.

The example of the tv's is completely irrelavent. So is using one season ticket at anfield. 10 years is a very long time. Be very interesting to see how much tickets cost in 1996.

YOur taking a gamble to see if the prices will work out, but obviously some people think its worth the risk.

It's not irrelevant, it's called bulk buying, in every walk of life the price drops the more you buy.

As for teh gamble, Im willing to take the risk that the tickets arent going to cost €125 in 10 years. thats over 4 times the average cost now, were tickets an average of €8 10 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Be very interesting to see how much tickets cost in 1996.

£4800 or £5500 for upper.

Irc they sold 10k of them and that was part funding Eircom park....lol

kdjac

Stekelly wrote:
    It's not irrelevant, it's called bulk buying, in every walk of life the price drops the more you buy.

Its still different. Here your bulk buying for something you will get i nthe future. Can you buy a yearly ticket for Internationals? how much are they?

Its still different. Here your bulk buying for something you will get i nthe future. Can you buy a yearly ticket for Internationals? how much are they?

If anything it works out better for the FAI than a shop. They are getting (and earnign interest on) your money, for which the will only outlay money on average every 2 and a half months over the following 10 years.

So to summarise: they charge you up front at over 400% of the individual price for something that they give back gradually

Stekelly wrote:
    If anything it works out better for the FAI than a shop. They are getting (and earnign interest on) your money, for which the will only outlay money on average every 2 and a half months over the following 10 years.

So to summarise: they charge you up front at over 400% of the individual price for something that they give back gradually

Brilliant really isnt it? Fair to play them i say. All about earning as much profit as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Welcome to Ireland!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The F.A.I are trying to maximize their revenue which is fair enough. Every business is entitled to do that.

I think they base their prices on stuff like covering running costs ect but also factor in how well the team might do.

Its also about supply and demand. Supply is limited and demand (based on ticket prices) seems to be high.

I personally couldn’t afford a 10 year ticket. I'd like to buy one cant so it will be the same old story of going to all the friendleys when ticket demand is low and them come the qualifiers not a hope of getting a ticket.

If there was a season ticket at a decent price I'd buy that.

Brilliant really isnt it? Fair to play them i say. All about earning as much profit as possible.

Yes - as long there is a plentiful supply of people who are stupid enough to put up with being ripped off. It is in fact - 'Brilliant'

p.s. I do own a business - and do a far better job than the FAI -simply because i charge the correct VALUE. I am not brutal, I don't need someone who has clearly demonstrated that they have no concept of figures lecturing me on business.
    Your arguments so far have been ad hock, soulless, pointless and as random as the decisions of a gov minister. Perhaps you should apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Only an idiot would pay that much even if you had money to throw around you'd still be an idiot to pay that. Its something my boss would do to impress clientele. Bring them over for a meeting and give them tickets to a game, wine and dine them and then ask them to sign on the dotted line while they're in a good mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think some people are being disengenious with their comparisons - "€25 for an East Stand ticket, €30 average price at Lansdowne Road". There arent many tickets for €25 in the East Stand - maybe a few in the uncovered section. Most of them are around the €40 mark, some are dearer (exactly the same as the West Stand apart from the uncovered bit). I can guarantee you there will be no €25 tickets for Ireland matches in Croke Park or New Lansdowne.

The 10 year tickets are presumably going to be in the Premium Tier. So you dont compare them to the current cheap or average priced tickets, you compare them to the very dearest. These tickets will have access to a bar and restaurant with TV screens littered about for pre-match, half-time and after-match entertainment. You'll probably have a bit more leg room and the seat itself will be a bit more comfortable. Do people understand what "premium" means? Its not for the ordinary fan, its for the fan with money, or corporates. The FAI would be plain stupid not to run such a scheme.

I'm sure the FAI will continue to run their block booking scheme for the ordinary fan. I've been part of this for about 8 years. No waiting list then, and guaranteed a ticket for every game since then. There may be a waiting list now, but I'd bet anyone joining now will be on the block book list by the time the stadium is ready.

Personally I'm not renewing my block booking, so there's at least one vacancy (because the FAI now insist you have to go to friendlies to maintain it, and IMO €40 is too dear for a friendly, so I have made my choice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The 10 year tickets are presumably going to be in the Premium Tier.

But not for any matches which are played in Croke Park, which will be at least 25% of the matches for the 10 year ticket.

Bluetonic wrote:
    But not for any matches which are played in Croke Park, which will be at least 25% of the matches for the 10 year ticket.
    Are you saying that the GAA prem ticket holders will get to go to all the FAI/IRFU games held in Croker? Is that for certain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Are you saying that the GAA prem ticket holders will get to go to all the FAI/IRFU games held in Croker? Is that for certain?

Actaully I'm not too sure, my understanding is that the premium ticket holders in Croke Park bought tickets for the stadium of Croke Park, which includes every event which takes part there, be that GAA, soccer, rugby, a concert, etc.., or at least an 'option' on the non GAA events.

However I've come accross a news article which reports
    Any agreement will include the Premium Level and corporate suites, but for box-holders who would wish to purchase tickets for international games, their contract details will determine whether this will be possible or not. It's understood that companies which leased boxes from the beginning are likely to benefit in this regard.

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/GAA/Full_Story/did-sgZ9P6S2BYLWYsgDQQ5wn3uAIg.asp

Looks like it will take a lot of ironing out. I can't see the premium ticket holders giving up 'their' seats too freely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm sure the FAI will continue to run their block booking scheme for the ordinary fan. I've been part of this for about 8 years. No waiting list then, and guaranteed a ticket for every game since then. There may be a waiting list now, but I'd bet anyone joining now will be on the block book list by the time the stadium is ready.

Rooster how do you get your name onto this block booking list? I have been wanting to know for ages!

• Advertisement

Not sure exactly how I got on the list in the first place. But obviously I contacted them. I think I rang them up and they sent me an application form.

So I'd suggest ringing or writing to the FAI. I wouldnt go by e-mail.

Once you're on the block list its dead easy. They send you out an application form for every 3 or 4 games, you send it back with your credit card details confirming where in the ground you want, and they post you out the tickets. You do have to pay for a few games in advance though.

Another negative (in my experience anyway!) is that they tend to give you just about the worst tickets in whatever section you apply for! Annoying for friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Even my home and away season tickets work out less for Norwich that's including currency exchange and whatever else.

egan007 wrote:
    Yes - as long there is a plentiful supply of people who are stupid enough to put up with being ripped off. It is in fact - 'Brilliant'

p.s. I do own a business - and do a far better job than the FAI -simply because i charge the correct VALUE. I am not brutal, I don't need someone who has clearly demonstrated that they have no concept of figures lecturing me on business.
    Your arguments so far have been ad hock, soulless, pointless and as random as the decisions of a gov minister. Perhaps you should apply.

And there obviously is enough people to pay stupid prices, so why shouldnt they charge those prices?

If your not willing to pay the price, dont. But i dont see why your complaining about the price? Its a free country, thankfully business' are allowed charge what they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

KdjaC wrote:
    How much is a PL season icket for 18 games a season?

It is a ripoff but its not for people its for companies to buy call it corporate prawn sambo brigade. My job got 4 last time but this year getting 4 for Old Trafford as its cheaper and well a bit better sometimes.

kdjac
    man utds works out just under 700 euros

Not sure exactly how I got on the list in the first place. But obviously I contacted them. I think I rang them up and they sent me an application form.

So I'd suggest ringing or writing to the FAI. I wouldnt go by e-mail.

Once you're on the block list its dead easy. They send you out an application form for every 3 or 4 games, you send it back with your credit card details confirming where in the ground you want, and they post you out the tickets. You do have to pay for a few games in advance though.

Another negative (in my experience anyway!) is that they tend to give you just about the worst tickets in whatever section you apply for! Annoying for friendlies.

Thanks for that Rooster, Ill contact and see if I can get on the list.

I see the FAI are saying that ordinary tickets for competitive matches in Croke Park (assuming no bucket seats) will be €60 to €65 (for comparison the "centre" (very loose term) of both the upper east and upper west are €42 for the friendly against Sweden - far too dear as it is in my opinion). And the price certainly won't go down when they make it back to Lansdowne.

Does anyone think they'll have a problem selling 70,000 tickets at these prices? Would you go, bearing in mind you won't be able to pick and choose, the games will be sold in batches?

• Advertisement
Advertisement