Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading people too well?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Good judge of character or not, you can't possibly define someone's personality within the first few minutes of meeting them....nor by looking at them on tv. :rolleyes:

And to be perfectly honest, I think you'll find most people would rather stay away from someone who makes snap judgements about others.

If you keep looking for problems I'm sure you'll make sure you find them eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

I never claimed to have amazing powers of perception. But yes I do claim to have a good judge of character which has been verified many times over and I'm not gonna believe now I don't cause some guy told me it's not possible.[/b]

How long would you say it would take you to gauge someone's personality then? A few minutes? A few hours? A few days? A few weeks? A few months?
    Actually, what are you saying?

Read my post and you'll see. Although I suspect some dumb questions are about to follow...
    That it is impossible to judge peoples character?

Dumb question. Not even going to dignify it with an answer. Go back and read my post if you need an answer to that.
    That you can't get an impression of someone straght away?

Another dumb question. I never said it was impossible to 'get an impression' of someone straight away. I was alluding to the fact that it's impossible to make even a half-way decent judgement about someone straight away. Which is what a lot of Mystic Megs on this thread seem to think they can do.
    If your the one who can't tell what someone is like after five mins that I believe you sir have the social problem.

You're saying I have a social problem because I can't tell what somebody is like withing 5 minutes of meeting them?

OMFG

Take note ladies and gentlemen. Dumbest thing ever written on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BigArnie wrote:

Believe me, I've seen a hell of a lot worse on here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If your the one who can't tell what someone is like after five mins that I believe you sir have the social problem.
    This is what is affectionately known as a superiority complex. The belief that oneself is better than others or that oneself has the ability to completely figure someone out instantly (thus giving them the tactical advantage). Very common in young, middle class, upwardly-mobile males, aged between 16 and 28.

If you believe that you have even pierced the surface of a person's personality within five minutes of meeting them, you're delusional I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

seamus wrote:
    If you believe that you have even pierced the surface of a person's personality within five minutes of meeting them, you're delusional I'm afraid.

But you could decide after 5 minutes that you have no urge to get to know the person any further. Sure, you may be missing out on somebody great but there are billions of people in the world and life is too short to check them all out more thoroughly.

But tbh, unless the OP clarifies what they meant exactly and what their exact problem is, this thread won't go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

simu wrote:
    But you could decide after 5 minutes that you have no urge to get to know the person any further.
    Absolutely agree 100%. I find that I don't have any great urge to get to know most people that I meet, unless I have heard of them prior, or they are of significance to a friend/workmate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

simu wrote:
    But you could decide after 5 minutes that you have no urge to get to know the person any further.

There's a huge difference between deciding that and proclaiming that you know this person intimately and understand them.

Jesus. There's a lot of seriously stuck-up, arrogant people out there. I wouldn't mind if they were downright nasty, but it appears to be a mental illness rather than a superiority complex. Or perhaps a little of both. Very, very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

seamus wrote:
    I'm guessing you're somewhere between 16 and 21. It's quite normal to feel like this.

*Incidentally, this is something you can learn. You're not born with the skill to talk smalltalk with people.

yes, it also goes along with things like 'i dont do small talk, i can only talk about 'real' issues with people' and other such pretentious rubbish...
    But i don't have a problem making friends. And I don't dislike the vast majority of people.

I don't understand what your problem is and why you feel being a good judge of character is such a crime.

i didnt say it was a crime. i said i dont believe you can tell what someone is like in the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

i said that the on constant i nyour life is you, and if you have lots of problems, then i think the law of occam's razor applies...

LoliPOPZ wrote:
    WhiteWashMan you are the one being most judgemental here. Just because you don't seem to have the same gift/curse/ability as several posters here, you just dismiss it and basically are insulting them.

not at all. i am cursed with the ability to be popular and fun. its my burden to bear, but i manage to get along all right.
    the reason i dismiss it is because i do not believe you can 'know' someone within the first 5 minutes of meeting them. that is just stupid and immature.

LoliPOPZ wrote:

"of course, getting a good vibe doesnt mean they are good people, or that you are compatible as a friend."

Erm, it does actually or have you missed the point of the whole post? I have never gotten good vibes from mean people or vice versa. Then again, who decides who is nice or mean? It's all one's own opinion anyway, based on how they feel when they interact with people. That's why there are 'groups' of friends, people choose to be with people they feel comfortable with and get on with. Getting a bad vibe from someone doesn't give you the right to call them a horrible person, but it gives you the right not to be friends with them.

but thats it. how do you know if you instantly dismiss it?

thats like saying 'this rock repells tigers. there are no tigers here, so it obviously is'.

as far as im concerned it all a lod of rubbish based on your own lack of confidence. people with self esteem issues often dont like confident people. you call it having super sixth sense, i call it being afraid to meet people.

• Advertisement

I never claimed to have amazing powers of perception. But yes I do claim to have a good judge of character which has been verified many times over and I'm not gonna believe now I don't cause some guy told me it's not possible.
    like i said , thats a contradiction.

you cant possible know if someone is good or bad if 'you' decide they are bad and dismiss them i the first 5 minutes.

or are your subjective proclaimations of people the law?
    i say it, so it shall be.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

You're saying I have a social problem because I can't tell what somebody is like withing 5 minutes of meeting them?

OMFG

So you're saying that if you met someone and talked with them for five mins you would come away with no impression of what type of person they are or who they were?

Yeah I think if that is the case then yeah you kinda would have a problem.
    you cant possible know if someone is good or bad if 'you' decide they are bad and dismiss them i the first 5 minutes.

It's not about if someone is good or bad and dismissing them.

yes, it also goes along with things like 'i dont do small talk, i can only talk about 'real' issues with people' and other such pretentious rubbish...

Hmm i htink i'd disagree with that.

Jesus. There's a lot of seriously stuck-up, arrogant people out there. I wouldn't mind if they were downright nasty, but it appears to be a mental illness rather than a superiority complex. Or perhaps a little of both. Very, very strange

You're the one that's so aggressive and dismissive of what the op, me and others have said. I think that kinda smacks of being arrogant and nasty if you're the one that keeps resorting to personal attacks, more than anything we've sad. I'm not arrogant. I just said I have a good judge of character. I don't see why you've to attack me for it in the way that you are. I know many people who are better than me at this, none of them are arrogant or stupid as you seem to think they are.
    You have all totally missed the point. You´re so ready to jump all over the OP and say they´re full of crap just because you don´t understand what they´re talking about.

I think that sums up the thread really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's not about if someone is good or bad and dismissing them.

On the contrary, the OP said exactly that - that he/she summed up people practically instantly and then avoided or turned away from them to "avoid being fake with them". That's called "making an assumption and dismissing someone." The assumption may or may not turn out to be correct. The point is that the OP does not give people an opportunity to prove them wrong, and by her own admission, she very probably poisons her friends against the people she doesn't like by planting doubts in their head about the people she judges. If this weren't a problem as you suggest, then the OP would not be on here bemoaning her difficulties making friends. Good judges of character with a little more experience will realise this is classic behaviour for young, arrogant people who compensate for their own problems by making themselves feel superior to others. (some of us recognise our younger selves here)

(i'm going to assume OP is a her for the sake of being lazy... oh wait I mean because I have an innate gift for telling people's gender over the internet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

To the OP, I can do this too and I was never bullied, I dont let it bother me but I can sense a bad-egg from their demeanour. I choose to get on with some people I dont like because it is convenient, this is what you need to learn.
    It is not about being fake, you dont have to be their best mate, it is just about living life in a more relaxed manner than if you have the defensive posture you seem to adapt.

blah blah blah blah arrogant pretentious, not to mention completely contradictory crap

ok, listen, im not even going to pick each of these out, suffice to say that you contradict yourself in pretty much every sentence.

however, this is a cracker...

I'm not arrogant. .

if you met me for 5 minutes, and then said, i dont like you becuase i get bad vibes from you, then i reckon youre an arrogant twat. becuase you dont know me.
    and to be able to tell what someone is like in 5 minutes is just stupid. its an incredibly arrogant statement to make.

perhaps you should stand on a packed bus for 10 minutes. sure by that time, youll know everyone who is good, and be able to make friends with them...

So you're saying that if you met someone and talked with them for five mins you would come away with no impression of what type of person they are or who they were?[/b]

Whoah! Hold on there just a second. You didn't say anything about having an impression, you said:

That's completely different. You're telling me that if I can't judge what someone is like after 5 minutes then I have a social problem. Very different. Very stupid.
    Yeah I think if that is the case then yeah you kinda would have a problem.[/b]

Yeah, but that 'kinda' isn't what you said now, is it?
    It's not about if someone is good or bad and dismissing them. [/b]

Is it about judging someone's character within 5 minutes or getting an initial impression? I think we're kind of backtracking on our claims here.
    You're the one that's so aggressive and dismissive of what the op, me and others have said.[/b]

Maybe so but at least I give people a chance.
    I think that kinda smacks of being arrogant and nasty if you're the one that keeps resorting to personal attacks, more than anything we've sad. I'm not arrogant. I just said I have a good judge of character.[/b]

So do I. Nobody has a good enough judge of character to judge someone sufficiently within 5 minutes so as to make an adequte judement on the kind of person they are unless they're obviously extremely rude or do something outlandish. You're not psychic.
    I don't see why you've to attack me for it in the way that you are. I know many people who are better than me at this, none of them are arrogant or stupid as you seem to think they are. [/b]

You know people? So obviously openly discuss your profound mystical impressions of people you hardly know with each other. Nice.

I just don't like people who think they can make judgements on other ad lib without getting to know them properly first (unless, as I said, they do something out of line). People who are that judgemental are called A$$HOLES because inevitably some innocent, well meaning person that gave off the 'wrong vibe' gets the cold shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I remember in college we played a little game called "The Generalization game" (like generation game, get it? Hilarious :v: ), where you basically just say the assumptions you made about someone when you met them. You would not believe how many were off base.
    When I meet someone and talk to them for 5 minutes, I have barely any opinion of them. I like to get to know people, before claiming to know what kind of person they are. I also think there aren't that many truely bad people around, so the OPs problem surprises me. Are you sure you aren't being too judgemental? Maybe seeing a bad human when someone's 'only human'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

BigArnie wrote:
    I just don't like people who think they can make judgements on other ad lib without getting to know them properly first (unless, as I said, they do something out of line). People who are that judgemental are called A$$HOLES because inevitably some innocent, well meaning person that gave off the 'wrong vibe' gets the cold shoulder.
    Yet you can make a judgement about someone that is judgemental so quickly and call them an asshole? Ah now, come on!

How does being a good judge of character make me an arrogant, pretentious asshole?

Gordon wrote:
    Yet you can make a judgement about someone that is judgemental so quickly and call them an asshole? Ah now, come on!

The poster has clearly explained their stance on a very significant aspect of their personality. I'm not making a 5 minute judgement based on small-talk, bodylanguage, etc. My judgement stands as far as I'm concerned.

How does being a good judge of character make me an arrogant, pretentious asshole?

It doesn't. Thinking that you can make an accurate judgement on most people after speaking to them for a mere five minutes makes you an arrogant, pretentious asshole. Arrogant because you think you've got psychic powers that you don't have. Pretentious because you're on here talking about it; despite the fact that I know you're full of crap. Again I reiterate - you cannot read people's minds. At most you can gain a first IMPRESSION of someone. An asshole because you're being judgemental at other people's expense. End of story. To alleviate this? Give people a chance; simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

BigArnie wrote:
    It doesn't. Thinking that you can make an accurate judgement on most people after speaking to them for a mere five minutes makes you an arrogant, pretentious asshole. Arrogant because you think you've got psychic powers that you don't have. Pretentious because you're on here talking about it; despite the fact that I know you're full of crap. Again I reiterate - you cannot read people's minds. At most you can gain a first IMPRESSION of someone. An asshole because you're being judgemental at other people's expense. End of story. To alleviate this? Give people a chance; simple.

Ok Arnie , Bottom line people judge people ALL the time.... what is your PROBLEM, lay it off , if a guy as electric bullets coming out of his fingers, get over it, its not about psychic powers. Some people go over the top about it, I will agree. You my friend is losing it here on this thread. Your making all the judgments on this thread.:rolleyes:

So what if people rant on about their gifts, dissmiss it if you think there are talking bullsh!t. EVERYONE people will have a judgment on others on the first few minutes of speaking to them, Most people are good at reading other's its basically instinct, nothing wrong with that. If someone has developed it to an extreme level does not make them arrogant, but likewise cause an imbalance and social toxity, very same way as VERY intellegent doctor can't relate to his paitent, Having an overdeveloped ability be it whatever can lead to weaknesses too.

However someone coming in here saying "oh oh oh I have psychic powers"
    Is indeed arrogant, I don't think anyone did mention psychic powers until someone took what the OP offensive or aggravating.

BTW Arnie I'm natural at reading people, Reason being remains private as people would know me here on the boards and its by no choice originally and is very logical and it works for me. I have many friends and I don't come across arrogant, I don't read my friends, but they know I'm judgmental, in a positive way.If someone's thinks I'm arrogant for realising that my own personal judgment on an other is right , can go feck off and smell the grass!!!
    I don't look at people like im looking at a book, If Iget a bad vibe about someone does not mean I dismiss them straight away. I look at things in a more practical sense, I would even work around people who give out bad vibes. I don't know what the fuss is about vibes,
    A lot of the vibes we pick up is just the way the body is responding to the state of mind your in and we naturally pick up these movements/signals without realising and eventually we pick up after spending time with a person whether is positive or negative, for example you see a guy with his head down frowning, you feel the air heavy, why, siimple facial expressions trigger vibes in an other, You would'nt think it but its very true,
    Tone of voice is one of the best ways to find out what the other is in the "now", there are just a few I could name hundreds more,
    Some experts say we send thoughts to each other all the time without being concious or aware of it, I think this is also true.

I definatly don't rely on my first intial impression within 5 minutes on someone's character and are what they are like in five minutes,
    That's crazy all the people who say this, (now I'm good at making quick judgments and I am very aware of what goes on around me) Its mad for anyone think they can sort out an aura of someone in Five minutes, you never met the fuken person before, everyone you meet is different:rolleyes:

I just simply observe, Look at the body language, mannerisms , get to know them etc(which 99% of people do)over time I will make the the right judgment on a particular person and it is 95% of the time its right. its just common sense, there is nothing mystic about reading people, the OP comment on corressponding people to celebrities it just in his head and cleary is overwhelmed on first impression to make proper judgments in my opinion. On a few occaisions i was just complety gobsmacked to realise my perception of a particular person who I thought were genuine turned out to be utter manipulative scoungers! So I have being fooled many times, as much as you think you are smart, manipulative, intellegent, others have just mastered it better than you, and I have for fallen for it a few times, it's funny actually being so good at one thing like the OP describe can bring you tumbling down when a person finds his/weakness

This thing about reading people is not psychic, its not something you're born with, you develop it and use it as a skill , like maths. Some people here are cleary jelous, and to finish on this line,

Tell me what girl does not read into things? eh, they do it all the time, every word literally.:D so anyone who is getting superficial and so aggressive over this ability, go take a shower :rolleyes:

mysterious wrote:
    So what if people rant on about their gifts

Well that's where my problem lies. I'm a neurolinguistic programmer by academia and a (average) software engineer by profession. I can read people better than anyone else on this thread. I just don't share your same gloomy and bizarre judgement on people. It's really freaky to me and, whether you like it or not, it's NOT normal. Kids, you need professional help. FACT. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

my god. everyone on here thinks they are the best in the world at reading people. who cares! get back to the person who posted this thread. poor chap cant make friends coz he thinks everyone is an arsehole. by the way, for the record, you probably shouldn't go out anymore if ur gonna assume everyone is a geebag. nobodys perfect. stop bei na snob and make a half arsed efffort to get to know these evil gor forsaken souls. maybe u might realise that the absolutely perfect and superhuman character judging powers u have might not be so oerect after all. tho i suppose, theres not point, chances are they'll probably dislike u before u can judge them! gud nite.

mysterious wrote:
    Ok Arnie , Bottom line people judge people ALL the time.... what is your PROBLEM, lay it off , if a guy as electric bullets coming out of his fingers, get over it, its not about psychic powers. Some people go over the top about it, I will agree. You my friend is losing it here on this thread. Your making all the judgments on this thread.:rolleyes:

So what if people rant on about their gifts, dissmiss it if you think there are talking bullsh!t. EVERYONE people will have a judgment on others on the first few minutes of speaking to them, Most people are good at reading other's its basically instinct, nothing wrong with that. If someone has developed it to an extreme level does not make them arrogant, but likewise cause an imbalance and social toxity, very same way as VERY intellegent doctor can't relate to his paitent, Having an overdeveloped ability be it whatever can lead to weaknesses too.

However someone coming in here saying "oh oh oh I have psychic powers"
    Is indeed arrogant, I don't think anyone did mention psychic powers until someone took what the OP offensive or aggravating.

BTW Arnie I'm natural at reading people, Reason being remains private as people would know me here on the boards and its by no choice originally and is very logical and it works for me. I have many friends and I don't come across arrogant, I don't read my friends, but they know I'm judgmental, in a positive way.If someone's thinks I'm arrogant for realising that my own personal judgment on an other is right , can go feck off and smell the grass!!!
    I don't look at people like im looking at a book, If Iget a bad vibe about someone does not mean I dismiss them straight away. I look at things in a more practical sense, I would even work around people who give out bad vibes. I don't know what the fuss is about vibes,
    A lot of the vibes we pick up is just the way the body is responding to the state of mind your in and we naturally pick up these movements/signals without realising and eventually we pick up after spending time with a person whether is positive or negative, for example you see a guy with his head down frowning, you feel the air heavy, why, siimple facial expressions trigger vibes in an other, You would'nt think it but its very true,
    Tone of voice is one of the best ways to find out what the other is in the "now", there are just a few I could name hundreds more,
    Some experts say we send thoughts to each other all the time without being concious or aware of it, I think this is also true.

I definatly don't rely on my first intial impression within 5 minutes on someone's character and are what they are like in five minutes,
    That's crazy all the people who say this, (now I'm good at making quick judgments and I am very aware of what goes on around me) Its mad for anyone think they can sort out an aura of someone in Five minutes, you never met the fuken person before, everyone you meet is different:rolleyes:

I just simply observe, Look at the body language, mannerisms , get to know them etc(which 99% of people do)over time I will make the the right judgment on a particular person and it is 95% of the time its right. its just common sense, there is nothing mystic about reading people, the OP comment on corressponding people to celebrities it just in his head and cleary is overwhelmed on first impression to make proper judgments in my opinion. On a few occaisions i was just complety gobsmacked to realise my perception of a particular person who I thought were genuine turned out to be utter manipulative scoungers! So I have being fooled many times, as much as you think you are smart, manipulative, intellegent, others have just mastered it better than you, and I have for fallen for it a few times, it's funny actually being so good at one thing like the OP describe can bring you tumbling down when a person finds his/weakness

This thing about reading people is not psychic, its not something you're born with, you develop it and use it as a skill , like maths. Some people here are cleary jelous, and to finish on this line,

Tell me what girl does not read into things? eh, they do it all the time, every word literally.:D so anyone who is getting superficial and so aggressive over this ability, go take a shower :rolleyes:

i only read the first line of your post, but you know what, ive been on here for long enough to know that the rest of it was full of shít, and not worth reading.

im sorry, if i dont like yo in the first line of your post, then you obviously have nothing to add afterwards.

do you think this makes my point, or will people still continue to pretend that you can tell someone after 5 minutes of meeting them?

roffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Ah the joys of WWM. Where would we be without him?

i only read the first line of your post, but you know what, ive been on here for long enough to know that the rest of it was full of shít, and not worth reading.

im sorry, if i dont like yo in the first line of your post, then you obviously have nothing to add afterwards.

do you think this makes my point, or will people still continue to pretend that you can tell someone after 5 minutes of meeting them?

what are you trying to qoute here, you come across like a fool, if you quote this to my post it proves you didn't read my post, to me it tells me a lot about you then :rolleyes:

Finally what a low level to compete with, why would I go down to your level ;)

mysterious said alot of stuff thats bang on.
    BigArnie wrote:

I don't think I've got psychic powers.....

I'm only here because this thread was starting, it's not something I usually talk about.

I agree I cannot read people's minds, and I never claimed to.

I disagree that it's at peoples expense and that I don't give them a chance.

When I said the 5mins thing I didn't mean I could do an in depth character analysis on them... I meant that I could get a fairly good handle on someone obviously it's just some of the main aspects of them.

"If your the one who can't tell what someone is like after five mins that I believe you sir have the social problem."

When I said to that BigArnie I didn't mean know the person really well or inside out I meant some sort of impression of the person. I should have worded it better, sorry :rolleyes: . the point I was making is that if an average person picks up 'x' about a person in that time, I'd normally pick up that bit more. Not becase i have some special power...? or whatever mainly it's because i'm more observant than some people and i pick up on things more and i notice things some people miss.

If you wanna label it as being an "arrogant, pretentious asshole" than ok, but I'd have to disagree with you. I don't just look at someone and put them in a box and dismiss them and don't ever talk to them again. And obviously every judgement I make is not 100%, so after 5mins i might think something about someone, and each time I meet them afterwards I'd improve on my first judgement, and so on and so forth but I'd usually be relatively close at the start.

I dunno, I guess I seem to think about people more than most, if i ever do say something to someone about someone the person i talking to usually has seen some or most of the stuff that I have and just really haven't thought about it.

if you met me for 5 minutes, and then said, i dont like you becuase i get bad vibes from you, then i reckon youre an arrogant twat.

mysterious wrote:
    what are you trying to qoute here, you come across like a fool, if you quote this to my post it proves you didn't read my post, to me it tells me a lot about you then :rolleyes:

2 points.

1) and i will say this in small words so you understand it.
    the point was to say that i did not read your post, except to judge you on the first line.
    which is what you and others are saying you do when you meet someone.
    you are now having a go at me, saying im a fool for not reading the whole thing.
    are you a fool for not taking the time to find out about people, other than the first 5 minutes?
    come back and let me know when you figure it out mr smarty.

2) why the rolls eyes. is that suppose to mean something, or are you just unable to convey some point. which is a little ironic since you havent managed to grasp my point.

although, i dont expect you to see the irony in your situation, im sure everyone else can.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteWashMan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteWashMan
    if you met me for 5 minutes, and then said, i dont like you becuase i get bad vibes from you, then i reckon youre an arrogant twat.

you obviously got kept back in school as well.

you have tried to make a point about me and without realising you have just quoted me and made my point.
    excellent.

now, lets spell it all out for the easily distracted shall we....?

i use long boring waffly post to prove point.
    i say that i only read 1st line because i can tell what poster is like from first line.
    i use the post, and the first line as an analogy for you saying you can tell what someone is like after 5 minutes.
    i am using sarcasm.
    you are not.

you both tell me that i am stupid for saying this, becuase apparently, its stupid to think that you can tell someone from the first line of their post.
    we have all been saying its stupid to say you can tell someone from the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

you have proved our point, but you havent seen it.
    this is irony.
    it is delicious.

if ther are any big words you dont understand, please visit dictionary.com.

its a good site, but please stay longer than 5 minutes, you will find there is lots of good information there......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thank you Mysterious and Phantom_lord. You have no idea how much enjoyment I've had reading your posts. :) Halarious stuff!

• Advertisement

2 points.

1) and i will say this in small words so you understand it.
    the point was to say that i did not read your post, except to judge you on the first line.
    you are now having a go at me, saying im a fool for not reading the whole thing.
    are you a fool for not taking the time to find out about people, other than the first 5 minutes?

2) why the rolls eyes. is that suppose to mean something, or are you just unable to convey some point. which is a little ironic since you havent managed to grasp my point.

although, i dont expect you to see the irony in your situation, im sure everyone else can.

you obviously got kept back in school as well.

you have tried to make a point about me and without realising you have just quoted me and made my point.
    excellent.

now, lets spell it all out for the easily distracted shall we....?

i use long boring waffly post to prove point.
    i say that i only read 1st line because i can tell what poster is like from first line.
    i use the post, and the first line as an analogy for you saying you can tell what someone is like after 5 minutes.
    i am using sarcasm.
    you are not.

you both tell me that i am stupid for saying this, becuase apparently, its stupid to think that you can tell someone from the first line of their post.
    we have all been saying its stupid to say you can tell someone from the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

you have proved our point, but you havent seen it.
    this is irony.
    it is delicious.

if ther are any big words you dont understand, please visit dictionary.com.

its a good site, but please stay longer than 5 minutes, you will find there is lots of good information there......

I see the point, i AM GOING TO Keep this short and simple,
    I said you acted like fool, not, "you are a fool" but i see why you posted it that.

Secondly I never spoke to you about the five minutes situation, I see now why you mention quite frequently, even though i agreed with you and others about knowing someone in five mins is bullsh!t. However you missed that.

Your last line was a dig........

Zulu wrote:
    Thank you Mysterious and Phantom_lord. You have no idea how much enjoyment I've had reading your posts. Halarious stuff!

I may judge people on the first 5mins, like I would imagine most people do.......but i don't however disregard everything they say after that...

ah, i may stop laughing by the end of the weekend.
    still, i think the OP has had many opinions which he may take on board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I may judge people on the first 5mins, like I would imagine most people do.......

You imagine incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Maybe we should all ease off on the judging. We are not Judy.

i am sparticus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dell6680

Confuzed wrote:
    Hi
    This isn't that much of a problem but I've recently realised it's probably the cause of me having very few friends. I am an extremely good judge of character and I can sum up someone's character the first time I meet them, find out what kind of person they are, even things like celebrities on TV, I get these vibes about people which are usually spot on. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but I often get an odd feeling about people, like they are hiding something, or there's something about them I don't like without being able to describe it. I know everyone gets this up to a point but mine is really strong. The thing is, if I even get a slight feeling there's something 'off' about someone, I am unable to even pretend I like them, or be friendly to them, which causes problems mostly when meeting friends of friends. I come across unfriendly, but I can't help it or explain why. It's quite embarrassing. I think it may have something to do with the fact I was bullied in primary school and the start of secondary, and learned to recognise certain traits in people or 'fake' people, and my brain says to stay away from them.

My mum realises I do this and says I write people off too quickly without getting to know them based on my instincts. I am sort of glad I'm like this as it will probably save me from dating a serial killer, but it makes it really hard to make friends. What can I do to turn this off when I meet people, or get past it?

I'm not interested in reading the whole thread. Tell me, are you male or female? Then I will tell you what to do.

i await this advice with baited breath.

i hope you dont bore us with anything thats been said before.
    it wouldnt be useful to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To the OP.
    I understand your situation a lot. I am very like you. I find it hard not to feel fearful or someone or sorry for them even though Im only after meeting them at that instant.
    It's a hypersensitive feeling I have and I came from an abusive home and I got bullied and treated like sh*t in school all my life even now! Im in my twenties.
    You are hypersensitive I reckon to energy in a room. Humans emit energy as how they live life using. And certain types of energy from negative emotions are different than energy for positive emotions. They may be all on a slightly different wavelength literally. If you get me.
    Humans only use 10% of their brain, but people who get a certain lifestyle might have to subconsciencly develop other parts to survive if you get me!
    You might have been bullied so you developed a part of your brain that helps you avoid "potential bullies".

Human survival instinct.

I believe in unusual human abilities, Im not a crak pot!!
    I believe you developed a characteristic that may save your life some day so listen to your thoughts!!
    Everybody gives off bad vibes. There is people I like and when they are in a bad mood I turn off them. I cant very well dislike them one day and like them the next, you gotta filter out some of the feelings towards them and build a general perception on them. Chances are that most people fall in to the average range adn you;ll tolerate or even like them.
    People who you "like" are generally average character not too bad not too good with a characteristic you admire or like about them.

I think most people are like this but you and definately me are hypersensitive to it.
    I HATE stuck up or posh people with the Im better than everyone complex, when they mess with me I can make their life hell. If they upset me I project bad luck on them! No that's what I think don't mean I do or not. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭lau1247

man i pity the person that is genuinely nice but made a bad first impression when meeting you.. as some people does come across that way

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Raven_boy wrote:
    I HATE stuck up or posh people

so, you are actually so good at telling what people are like, than you can do it before you meet them?

thats pretty impressive...
    Raven_boy wrote:
    Im better than everyone

heh. if you say so.

Advertisement