Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slipknot

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 munky_boy

to get back to slipknot i heard ders a nu album on the way or is this a lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lie i'd say. they released a live album recently. now they're all off doing stone sour and drumming for everyone etc. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Damn I hate Slipknot. And it seems alot of Slipknot fans are fast becoming Trivium fans? A connection possibly (more stupid music for stupid people?:p )?

As for that thrash recommednation, you could do alot better, ie. Testament, Dark Angel, Death Angel. Now those bands have a far more consistently great (and actual thrash) discography. Sepultura went and sucked majorly after Beneath The Remains all the way back in 1989, Pantera only had one truly thrash album (CFH) and Slayer have been sucking since Divine Intervention, although I have no problem with Slayer recommendations, especially when Reign in Blood is involved ;)

The thing with the SLipknot/Trivium fanboy-ism (not directly accusing anyone of it) I've found is that these kids simply haven't heard alot of metal and have no real idea of how vast the genre is (although when you try to tell them that directly they tell you to shut up because nothing's better than Slipknot :rolleyes: ).

I'll tell ye what I've been listening to recently though. Yattering are some pretty cool technical death metal. Psychoparadox as well, some very technical and talented melodic death metal. Then there's Nuclear Rabbit who just pwn :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn I hate Slipknot. And it seems alot of Slipknot fans are fast becoming Trivium fans? A connection possibly (more stupid music for stupid people?:p )?
    No I certainly am not. Big bleh at trivium.

The thing with the SLipknot/Trivium fanboy-ism (not directly accusing anyone of it) I've found is that these kids simply haven't heard alot of metal and have no real idea of how vast the genre is (although when you try to tell them that directly they tell you to shut up because nothing's better than Slipknot :rolleyes: ).
    lies, damn lies, concerning anybody I know. I'm sure there are fifteen year old kids like that but I don't judge a band on the fans.
    Used to not like slipknot myself but they won me over and yes I know the vastness of metal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Come on, I've done the death metal (courtesy in part to many of you fine folk), what's lesson three?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was thinking acessability with that list - let's try and make it easier for people to get into metal by giving them bands that they're gonna be able to understand and decipher upon first listening. If it's your first time hearing metal and someone plays you Devourment, you're just not going to get it. It's easy to get into those bands and from there, you should be able to find other thrashy type stuff you like. I say Death Metal then and I'd be thinking along the lines of Cryptopsy, Decapitated, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, etc... We all know the bands as Undergod said.

Lesson 3 wouldn't be Black Metal, that's probably lesson 10 ;) Maybe the newer stuff like Chimaria, Lamb of God, Dillenger Escape Plan, Agoraphobic Nosebleed etc.
    You can then look at the (what I call "mental" stuff) like Converge or The Locust. After that, gorey sorta stuff (Anal Blast, Dying Fetus, etc). After that I suppose it's a matter of taste. Maybe you wanna get into really horrendous filthy stuff like the afore mentioned Devourment or Mortician, maybe you wanna slow down and get into doom (my current favourite genre - there's a really good thread on Sludge/Stoner and Doom on this board already), or maybe you wanna whip out the Black metal (Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Immortal) or maybe you wanna get into the Power buzz (Manowar, Dragonforce etc).

I didn't mention Iron Maiden because if you don't already listen to them (or at least know who they are) you *really* should be taken out and shot. This isn't a superioty complex thing, they are one of the most famous bands in the world, anyone who would listen to any kind of heavy music needs to know their influences.

Like I said though, it's all a matter of taste. I don't see many of these kids (yeah, kids) who listen to Slipknot and Trivium and the likes turning into long-term metal fans though - call me whatever kind of cynical bastid you like, the facts will speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MetalHead

although I have no problem with Slayer recommendations, especially when Reign in Blood is involved ;)

Can't Forget Seasons In The Abyss!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The thing with the SLipknot/Trivium fanboy-ism (not directly accusing anyone of it) I've found is that these kids simply haven't heard alot of metal and have no real idea of how vast the genre is (although when you try to tell them that directly they tell you to shut up because nothing's better than Slipknot :rolleyes: ).:p

And the thing with Thrash-metal fanboy-ism I've foudn, is that fans of such simply refuse to listen to anythign else, and assume that anythgin that isn't thrash metal, is simply not worth listening to.
    It seems the equally have no idea just how vast the genre really is.

That much is true of all fanboys senor, glad I'm not one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The thing with the SLipknot/Trivium fanboy-ism (not directly accusing anyone of it) I've found is that these kids simply haven't heard alot of metal and have no real idea of how vast the genre is.
    Disagree, I still like bits of Slipknots discography, and I have heard everything from Greek Symphonic death metal, Doom metal from Cork, even to the likes of unsigned German technical Black metal bands. Slipknot are good for what they do, Trivium are pretty pants, good drummer but theres only so far a drumemr can carry a band, I'd rather have some of Slipknots music over some of the newer death metal coming out (Lamb of God, Chimaira etc, are all just sh*te imo, and they took Shadowsfall with them it seems, they used to be excellent :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Pugsley wrote:
    (Lamb of God, Chimaira etc, are all just sh*te imo, and they took Shadowsfall with them it seems, they used to be excellent :()

interesting. i bought shadows fall's latest album as a newbie SF listener and thought it was horrible. gave it to my brother who likes all that stuff. what SF albums are there that are worth checking out?

as for slipknot. like them or not, they've been consistant, and i've yet to watch a live show with as much energy and ferocity as slipknot. 9 men in boiler suits going ape on stage = good times. they can write some fantastic tunes, despite the fact that they can often be lined with what feels like filler.

their debut roadrunner album is flawless though. not 1 bad tune on there. proper anger being conveyed with a twinge of strangeness to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭odranCN

hey lamb of god and chimaira are foucking excellent bands... as for shadow's fall im not a fan at all

That much is true of all fanboys senor, glad I'm not one :rolleyes:

Touché.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've been listening to chimaira, slipknot, machine head and others for years and will continue to do so for years to come, but I still cannot stand the sight of Iron Maiden, I nearly collasped when I had to attend one of their concerts :D

HavoK wrote:
    I've been listening to chimaira, slipknot, machine head and others for years and will continue to do so for years to come, but I still cannot stand the sight of Iron Maiden, I nearly collasped when I had to attend one of their concerts :D

Uh oh!

Duck and cover everybody.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nope, I agree with him, I Hate them....oh so very much. I only hate oh two bands, they are one of them.

Whoa now, I'm no major Maiden fan, I find them tolerable, moderately entertaining at best, but they're at LEAST better than ****ing Slipknot. Damn, I'm giving up.

Advertisement