Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People With Lack Of Friends Read This

• 16-01-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

first of all the reasons i'm not posting this in events forum are as follows
    1:this is not an event per se,i am not inviting every board member,just
    people in a similar situation.
    2:the people i am aiming for are more likely to come to this forum

so,i have to be honest i have no friends left and i have noticed some people in these forums are kind of in the same boat,more or less.i've tried evening classes etc and though i have met some nice people and had a good time i
    don't think friendships will come of them.the words of adivce i get(although appreciated) seem to revole around joing clubs extra but these places seem to have people who already have friends and its embarrassing being the only loner.thats why i would like to meet people like me about the same age in a pub or somwhere,some night for socializing.i'm 24yro male living in dublin.if interested pm me.and please no one else respond with snide,sarcastic comments,doing this is hard enough.i don't care if you think its sad.i am really sick to death of staying in at the weekends.and weeknights for that matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shortnose

I think you're very brave and clever to post this. :) If I were in Dublin, I'd hang out with you for sure. :D

I'm not 24 in actual years any longer, but I still feel 24 within.... sigh...

Live it up! Hope you find some great mates via this method! Good luck to you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yes good luck to you, you are very brave indeed to post this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

know the feeling, just moved to a new county and know nobody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Fair dews chief, I'm all about pro-active responses, unfortunately I'm in Waterford this weather :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Great idea. You are indeed a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 iamlegend

:) thanks.i didn't expect this type of response to be honest,thought i'd be laughed of the boards.i underestimated you lot.i got 4 respones so far.
    just to clarify,because i wrote the original post 'in the moment',its just a meeting up of people who have a lack of friends or none at all.i'm not sure where or when yet,i have to get back to those people who responed to decide.so if you are thinking of joining us please pm me within the next couple of days.
    thanks again for the kind posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah man, fair play to ya. Try a hobby or something. you'll always meet people sharing the same interests. if you're ever in waterford, drop me a message and you come out for a pint with me and a few mates. No bother at all.

I know how you feel about staying in the weekends, it can really drain the happiness out of ya. I went through it for a while meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

Hmm..... I wonder if its harder to make friends or something when you're in your twenties- I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I've joinde a couple of classes and although they're fun I don't think any friendships will come of it- pity, but there's hope.

I heard a program on the radio a while back about people in similiar situations meeting up in groups to go to the cinema/bowling/for a drink to meet other like-minded people.
    The focus was on finding friendship, nothing more.

Have you tried heading into your citizens info centre to see if there's anything like that around?
    Surely in Dublin there must be something!

But if not, there's nothin stopping you from starting one.

Best of Luck- I know what its like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

go to the next boards beers, that'll let you meet all o' the boardsters, I have heard it's great craic, alas I have hencethus(?) been unable to attend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭i am a lady

meow wrote:
    Hmm..... I wonder if its harder to make friends or something when you're in your twenties- I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I have hit this problem in my early 30s...most of my friends are married and have moved down the country, or have moved overseas, or have just settled in Dublin and don't really go out. I spent most of my 20s in relationships and am now single and would love to improve the social life, but don't know how! I find that with night classes, people want to run home straight after. I work in a small office and there is no social scene here at all (I have tried and failed to start one), I am not sporty so not really interested in that as a hobby. Thinking of voluntary work but not sure how much commitment I can give. So where does that leave me??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

PM Sent.

As a lotta ppl on boards will know, I'm not exactly a loner. In fact, most of my mates I've met through boards, or similar connections, hence the PM.

It's very difficult to make friends in college, and in 20s especially I think (Altho I am only 20, it's been gettin harder already!). Added to this, I recently severed all ties with a group of mates I'd known for 4+ years. It was just time for a fresh start, I guess. Call me wierd, call me an assh*le, whatever *shrugs*

I like who I like, I'm friends with who I'm friends with. If I don't like/trust someone, why should I be their friend?

But to get back on-topic, I believe everyone deserves a chance, and I'm up for hangin wit the OP whenever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

After reading your post must admit ya have balls! I dont think it "sad" at all -it happens alot actually. i honestly thought it was gonna happen to me when my former gf broke it off but I realized I have more mates than I though.The only down side is Ive nobody to drag to the flicks when theresa good film on!I hope this way of meetin people works out for ya, I know what its like to feel lonely in a way.

Have you got a good response so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Let me know when the session's planned for. Like Seb, I'm always up for meeting new friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Sleepy wrote:
    Let me know when the session's planned for. :)

Same here :D

well i'm getting a lot of back slapping but i don't think its brave or anything.
    its just a simple little meet up or pub crawl maybe?i just wanted to meet some new people and maybe make friends,if not and at the end of the night
    some people stand up thinking "i never want to see these weirdos again!' and
    storm out then thats fine...just don't say it out loud thanks.:o
    so far 11 people plus me so 12 altogether.thats way more than i expected!
    ps first round is on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey you sound sound. I'm like you though 4 years younger but Id hang around with ya if you ever down my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 buzzandwiks

If that doesnt work, why dont you try getting a few new part time jobs, I dont know what job you have or If your happy in the one you have, but thats a good way of meeting friends

i have been thinking that for awhile now actually,i'm trying to find a job i can
    commute to easily and pays good enough and is not soul destroying.

hi
    first of all i swear this is the last time i am going to post in this thread and then it will be let drift away in to the forums abyss.........or something.

secondly,just one meet up took place so far which was good.it was small but
    thats ok.the thing is i arranged a second meet up this friday and in the meantime got alot of pms.these people said they were interested and i gave them a day and time at the start of the week(it was for this friday)in other words plenty of time to respond with a yes or no.i got niether and assumed people will show up.
    nobody did.
    so i would like to give it one more go this time with pms from people who are really serious about it.serious in turning up i mean and serious enough to check your pms more than once a month.and this is not a charity case just a few drinks!

oh and don't pm something like 'well i have lots of friends already but i like meeting knew people'.well you have friends already you're kinda missing the point of this thread then aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 The War Dept.

I think youre a brave man to start this thread too, gotta be admired for sure, you can reassure yourself for a start, that your friendship is worth having, i personally wish the friends i've got were as in touch with themselves as you obviously are, and wish i had the balls to be as honest with myself about stuff like that as you obviously can be. It's a completely normal human thing to feel lonliness, especially when the whole damn place seems so crowded with people who 'seem' to have it all, but that's not always the case. Not much else I can say, were all in the same sh*t, just you're more honest with yourself than most...and that is not a bad thing, it is in fact an amazing quality, not at all easy to do.......hang in there trooper

please accept an electronic handshake.........respect

• Advertisement

'I think youre a brave man'

i swear to god if here that one more time i'm going to go out and shoot a puppy in the face with a double barrel shotgun!!!!!!!!
    at close range.

thanks for those kind remarks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

"No point in sitting alone in your room, come to the Cabaret" Liza Minnelli.

All joking aside you have one pair of brass balls. I admire what you are doing.

I would go but I'm a bit far away, however if you make it to Cavalaire you have a boozing buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think you're a brave man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Maybe you should make exchanging everyones phone number a condition of going - that way its not just a one night thing, but something that can be extended into proper friendships...

'I think you're a brave man'

BYE BYE FIDO!!!
    AND NOW TO THE KITTENS.

'Maybe you should make exchanging everyones phone number a condition of going'

i didn't want to come across as needy or clingy or desperate.i thought people might feel uncomfortable given there numbers out but its a good idea if people are willing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good idea.

Maybe there should be a forum dedicated to this kind of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Dalas

iamlegend wrote:
    hi
    first of all i swear this is the last time i am going to post in this thread and then it will be let drift away in to the forums abyss.........or something.

secondly,just one meet up took place so far which was good.it was small but
    thats ok.the thing is i arranged a second meet up this friday and in the meantime got alot of pms.these people said they were interested and i gave them a day and time at the start of the week(it was for this friday)in other words plenty of time to respond with a yes or no.i got niether and assumed people will show up.
    nobody did.
    so i would like to give it one more go this time with pms from people who are really serious about it.serious in turning up i mean and serious enough to check your pms more than once a month.and this is not a charity case just a few drinks!

Hi,
    May I make a suggestion? I lived in Manhattan for about 2 years and I was in same situation and did exactly the same thing as you are doing now. I made friends with people that are closer to me now then some of my best mates in Ireland. But it didnt happen easy it took a lot of organising and a lot of patience. Some times no one turned up. it was generally nerve raking waiting to see who would but turned out a lot of people were just nervous or were thinking of coming on their own and couldnt bare the thought so were waiting until a friend was free to go with them. In the end we had a great gang of not many (7 out of the 100s of replies!) but it was definitly worth it. The only thing I would say is that it was a lot more 'acceptable' in NYC to meet mates over the internet than here. You should have seen peoples faces back here when I would say 'yeah we met over the internet!' Its not as conventional here so you really gotta bare with it. If you fancy it we could meet and I'll tell you all about it over coffee? As far as I am concerned you can never have too many friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why don't you organise a meet? Say on a thursday night in a City Centre Bar. I have gone to a meet from another message board before and I have made a few new friends.

Sorry I didn't read all the way through.

Advertisement